Windows 7 SP1 .. already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been out for a year now, so I don't think it's that unexpected. Win 7 is a great OS, they really did it right with this one. Just because they are putting a service pack out doesn't mean something is wrong with the OS.

For some reason people feal reasured when service packs are released. Even if updates are pushed out every week, they like the service pack. So, I have a feeling it's just to appease those people. There aren't any huge changes.

Service packs are primarily designed for use in large installations or by computer makers. You don't have to go through a million download-install-reboot sessions while windows update does it's thing when there's a service pack - you do it once and it takes care of a lot of bugs. One can "slipstream" bug fixes into the installation procedure so that when one is installing a thousand corporate desktops you don't have to use windows update at all - the installation includes the bug fixes. Slipstreaming a service pack is much easier, though, and when MS releases a service pack they start including it as part of their default install (ie, they slipstream it for installers). Further, a service pack "codifies" a lot of fixes and enhancements as part of the official OS distribution. A lot of bugs and other fixes are really optional, and in many cases IT departments won't install them until they are thoroughly tested. A service pack gives them some degree of confidence that the bug fixes included are tested more than most 0-day big fixes.

-Adam

With large installations they just use images that have all the updates needed installed already. With consumer os's they really don't matter much. Server service packs may matter, but not so much for win 7. Very rarely will an OS update for a consumer pc cause a problem with softwate.

MS has said before they are want to move away from the idea of service packs in favor of constant updates. To me it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.