Windows 7, More Than One Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible? Not Possible?

I installed and activated Home Premium just fine on my gaming system, but am stuck with my internet system being "non-activated" is this intentional? Anything I can do to avoid this? What's up?

Windows' activation scheme allows you to use one activation code serial number per computer. In the case of OEM copies, you are only permitted to 'burn' that code once, while the full retail copies will allow you to reinstall (and reactivate) that software on another computer if you want. However, the part about 'only one computer at a time' still holds, so if you install and activate on one, then run right over and install on another and try to activate, Microsoft's activation servers will prevent activation on the second machine unless enough time has elapsed since the last time the first computer has talked to the activation servers that they think it is no longer in service. I don't remember exactly how often a computer 'checks in' with Microsoft's servers, though I believe I've seen that information somewhere online, and I believe that if enough time goes by (or if enough upgrades/changes are made to the hardware configuration of the machine), then it will demand to be connected to the Internet for reactivation (or else make you phone in a challenge/response code).

tl:dr; Possible to install, but not activate.

--Patrick

M

Matt²

not legally. ;) .. but following Patrtom's advice you could maybe wait a while and transfer it to the other computer... or you could try activating it on the new one (and take it off the old) and then TRY pleading with Microsoft activation agents over the telephone, simply tell them you activated on the wrong computer - they may believe you...or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.