[Question] Windows 7 Homegroup Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y'all. I'm having a networking problem.

My mom just got a new laptop, which she was able to get onto our network easily enough. However, she can't access the printer that is physically plugged in to my desktop. We're both running Windows 7.

All research into this shows tat Windows 7 uses a network sharing "solution" called Homegroups, where two PCs in the same Homegroup can decide what they wanna share and then it's just a matter of joining the same Homegroup.

But it seems like

a)my mom can't see my HG;
b)I can't leave my HG and join hers.

Any tips? I'd really like to get this sorted out, or work around the HGs altogether if necessary. :(

Why don't you plug your printer into your network? Like... to your router?

...I honestly never considered that. Most because I never had the router and printer in the same room before.

Okay so now I need to reinstall the printer on the network right? The big roadblock now is that I seem to have lost my install disc. The printer will automatically download drivers and stuff if I plug it into my PC but how can I install it on the router? Do I need to find that disc? Is there another option?

For the record, the printer is a HP PSC 1350.

Looks like you can't. The 1350 has no ethernet ports, and it apparently doesn't work with routers that are USB print server capable.

Is the date/time on your mother's laptop the same as your computer? Sounds weird, but someone with a similar issue as yours reported that was the problem. Some other bits to it, as well.

Some other possible solutions posted in the comments here.

I'm not a fan of HomeGroup even with a printer that's compatible. It's so much easier to just connect the printer via the router.

Yup. Options now look like getting a new better router and/or setting up the printer at a different location. I don't print all that often anyway, no biggie. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.