Win7 to Win7 Networking not working....

Status
Not open for further replies.
One wired computer (win7 home) into Router.

Router connected to Internet.

Laptop (win7 ultimate) wirelessly connected to Router.

Password sharing is off. Network discovery is on. I enabled Net Bios over TCIP. Firewalls disabled. Clocks synced.

Why can my laptop see the desktop homegroup/network and access the PC but the PC can't see the laptop?

(Restarted my PC, now the laptop can't see or access the PC anymore either)

All kinds of nonsense is going on.

I restarted the systems and added a 3rd PC.

PC1 sees PC3

Laptop sees PC1 and PC3.

PC3 sees PC1

Neither PC is spotting the laptop but the laptop can see them both.... yet it cannot access either of them.

And you also cycled power on the router?

My laptop will stop being able to acces other computers on the network, and when I just reboot the computers, one can't see another and so on.

If I just restart the router without messing with the PCs, it all comes back together fine.

And you also cycled power on the router?

My laptop will stop being able to acces other computers on the network, and when I just reboot the computers, one can't see another and so on.

If I just restart the router without messing with the PCs, it all comes back together fine.

This is exactly how my goofy network setup at home works too. If there's ever a problem with computers talking to eachother... I just turn the router off and on and it works almost every time.

After cycling power on the router I now have network access to the laptop from the PC and vise versa. However the Homegroup is still not working.

Thanks for the advice though, at least I can move files back and forth now.

Duplicate IPs or duplicate machine names?
Firewall enabled on Laptop? (either built-in or antivirus..this sounds the most likely)
Different workgroup names on each machine?
Different versions of Win7? (Ultimate v. non-ultimate*)

--Patrick
* You can join a homegroup in any edition of Windows 7, but you can only create one in Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise editions

I'm having the IP automatically generated.
Firewalls are disabled on both, don't have any anti virus on laptop. PC is running Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes.
Workgroups are default on name.
PC is Win7 Home Basic. Laptop is Ultimate.

I had a similar issue - it was with how the router handled wired/wireless - I had 2 wireless laptops that could write files to each other and to the wired desktop on the homegroup, but the wired desktop couldn't do anything to the laptops. My router "firewalled" the traffic between wired/wireless.

I had a similar issue - it was with how the router handled wired/wireless - I had 2 wireless laptops that could write files to each other and to the wired desktop on the homegroup, but the wired desktop couldn't do anything to the laptops. My router "firewalled" the traffic between wired/wireless.
BTW - nothing I could do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.