Wife Stuff, Need Mega-Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem may be a simple one of my pride vs my wife's say-so, or it might be... I don't know.

Simple version to which I can later add things as a way of not taking advice :awesome::

I wrote a manuscript in 2009. I no longer care for it; my wife thinks it's great. I decided that if I was going to put it out there, it needs to be something I'm proud of, and began a thorough revision last month. I think the revision is a lot of work that will be a better story in the end, but my wife feels I'm hurting my own project. I say that the old version is a mess. My wife says it doesn't matter what the author thinks; it matters what the reader likes. She also thinks I'm being a hipster who can't accept that he's not the target audience for the girly fantasy story he wrote.

So now I'm unsure if my pride is getting in the way or if I get to tell my wife she's wrong, that the author's opinion matters more.

Ha! Let me ask you this:

Is George Lucas right, as the creator of the star wars universe, to update the earlier films and tell people they are wrong about Han and other issues, or are the film fans correct in saying that the director is wrong?

:awesome:

Ah, having done some quick research (the ever-reliable Wikipedia), Carrie was only three or four pages long. A short story. He tossed it. His wife fished it out and talked him into rethinking it. Then he made a novel out of it.

So...still sort of applies?

Has she re-read it recently? It could be that she remembers it only via the feelings it gave her the first time. If she hasn't read it recently she may not remember the issues it had.

See, this is what I'm talking about. I will send her post-haste.
Added at: 00:37
What if you asked her to elaborate? Ask her why she enjoys or enjoyed it so much? See if you can see what she sees in it?
The plot twists, the characters, both of which I admit are weaker when forcing the plot into more of a three-act structure.
Added at: 00:38
Has she re-read it recently? It could be that she remembers it only via the feelings it gave her the first time. If she hasn't read it recently she may not remember the issues it had.
Well, technically she's read it more recently than I have.

And now you've given me the idea that maybe I should be doing some reading over instead of just editing and writing. Maybe it's my feelings that are affecting things.

Ignore your feelings, you know them to be false!

Wait, hang on...
(Insert "I see what you did there" image.)

What I'm going to do: Read this thing again. Tell my wife that everyone on the interwebs agreed with me, then later on play it off as a change of heart when I take her side. Until then, there's a couch with my name on it.

Or you could tell her you'll consider her opinion as valid, look over the manuscript, and get nooky.
Added at: 23:56
Also, don't drag us into this with lies, dammit.

Bro, brah, dude bro, dudearino, Teddy Brosevelet, Baron Vladimir Harbronen,

You're right.

Know what you need to do? You gotta go tell her what's up. March right into the kitchen and let her know that you'll keep doing what you do best, which is shaping the future of western art and civilization and she keep doing what she does best. Lookin' pretty and makin' babies.

Film it.
Put it on youtube.
expect a call from Tosh.0 for a web redemption.
I'll be awesome.

She also thinks I'm being a hipster who can't accept that he's not the target audience for the girly fantasy story he wrote.
This gave me a good chuckle.

Keep in mind that many of the most popular characters and stories were ones that the creators actually hated.

So, in other words, quit being a hipster and sell out :p

Bro, brah, dude bro, dudearino, Teddy Brosevelet, Baron Vladimir Harbronen,

You're right.

Know what you need to do? You gotta go tell her what's up. March right into the kitchen and let her know that you'll keep doing what you do best, which is shaping the future of western art and civilization and she keep doing what she does best. Lookin' pretty and makin' babies.

Film it.
Put it on youtube.
expect a call from Tosh.0 for a web redemption.
I'll be awesome.
But I'm the one in the kitchen...

Things I learned today: Wives don't care what people on the internet say, so using them as a resource to assert your opinion just digs your grave a little faster.

Actually, I told her what you guys were saying and she first had a "I was right" bit, and then reminded me of something I entirely forgot (and maybe she did until your comments jogged memories): I wrote it for her back then, not for me. So, I feel like kind of an ass and I can see why she has this Star Wars-fan style "betrayal" sense going on about it.

I'll keep it the way it was, go through proofing/stylistic revisions rather than content revisions, and get it off to an editor once that's done. Thanks for the focus, guys.

Now maybe I can finally post in the sex thread. Ironically, of course.

But I'm the one in the kitchen...

Things I learned today: Wives don't care what people on the internet say, so using them as a resource to assert your opinion just digs your grave a little faster.

Actually, I told her what you guys were saying and she first had a "I was right" bit, and then reminded me of something I entirely forgot (and maybe she did until your comments jogged memories): I wrote it for her back then, not for me. So, I feel like kind of an ass and I can see why she has this Star Wars-fan style "betrayal" sense going on about it.

I'll keep it the way it was, go through proofing/stylistic revisions rather than content revisions, and get it off to an editor once that's done. Thanks for the focus, guys.

Now maybe I can finally post in the sex thread. Ironically, of course.
Don't let Charlie find out you like to bang your wife. That's misogynistic and anti-feminist.

I do believe he's referring to the "I just had sex" thread, Charlie.

Also, the Primester's wife is on here? Bwa-ha-ha-ha! This is the merriest Christmas ever.

Necronic

Staff member
Well, since your wife is in here this defense won't work, however:

If you're wife is right about something and you didn't want her to be the trick is to adopt a revisionist history. You were the one that held the correct view all along, and you convinced her to change her wicked ways. A good regimen of Amobarbitol in her drinks each morning before you explain the real truth is advised.

Also hello Quotemander's wife. I apologize for advocating your drugging and brainwashing. Hopefully this will be remedied through more drugging and brainwashing.

Your wife seems like the type to make a high pitched noise until you believe whatever blatant lies she might tell you.

She has powers dude.

Necronic

Staff member
It's called sex.

You should try it.

I have no idea why I am coming at you in multiple threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.