Why should "waste" money in space research?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been already said, a lot of the value of space exploration research comes from the spin-offs and technologies. The average cellphone now has far more computing power than the computers that flew the Apollo missions, but one wouldn't exist without the other.
Without space exploration research, we'd still be in the fifties...or, at the very least, research and thus, our entire culture, would be completely different.
Oh, and don't forget that we need to put a man on mars to show those silly commies wh's got the biggest genitalia. Right?

C

Chibibar

As has been already said, a lot of the value of space exploration research comes from the spin-offs and technologies. The average cellphone now has far more computing power than the computers that flew the Apollo missions, but one wouldn't exist without the other.
Without space exploration research, we'd still be in the fifties...or, at the very least, research and thus, our entire culture, would be completely different.
Oh, and don't forget that we need to put a man on mars to show those silly commies wh's got the biggest genitalia. Right?
Yea. except the "new" commies is China. either sending someone to Mars or setup a base on the Moon

It should be noted that our Sun has about 6 billion years to go (rough estimate, of course) and Earth will be consumed in it's great red expansion LONG before any possible nova happens.

Yea. except the "new" commies is China. either sending someone to Mars or setup a base on the Moon[/QUOTE]

Both are currently impossible. We don't have the means to survive the long term radiation exposure we'd experience beyond the Van Allen belt. This is the reason why nearly ALL of the astronauts involved with the moon landings have had some serious health problems later in life: the radiation is extreme enough to kill you if you spend a long time out there and they had virtually no protection against it.

Both are currently impossible. We don't have the means to survive the long term radiation exposure we'd experience beyond the Van Allen belt. This is the reason why nearly ALL of the astronauts involved with the moon landings have had some serious health problems later in life: the radiation is extreme enough to kill you if you spend a long time out there and they had virtually no protection against it.
I read somewhere that like ... 80% of the Apolo astronauts developed cataracts, and that this is actually pretty good evidence to throw in the face of the 'faked landings' morons.

Circumstantial? Yeah. But cool? Pretty.

C

Chibibar

I read somewhere that like ... 80% of the Apolo astronauts developed cataracts, and that this is actually pretty good evidence to throw in the face of the 'faked landings' morons.

Circumstantial? Yeah. But cool? Pretty.[/QUOTE]

Oh I totally know that we don't have the technology right now, but that is where space program come into play. We can't really "test" these things back home since we have these nice multiple layer of radiation protection that protect our planet. (unless we screw that up)

C

Chibibar

QUestion: All those spin-offs, couldn't we find out in another way? did they could only come from space operation?
Of course you can. The problem is that very very very few company will research stuff that "may" produce a profit down the line. Government funded research allows more open research. Sure private industry DO research many things, but ultimately toward a specific idea/goal and not as open (in my observation)

I believe space exploration "accelerate" many studies because there is a major need for compact, portable, and reusable. Companies LOVE to keep using old tech as long as they can cause it generate profit. Two major I can think of from my econ class are Telephone company (the old lines that Bell install YEARS ago) and Gas cars.

Funny that there's no mention of asteroids or meteors. Ya know, those cosmic objects that could really fuck shit up yo. Word.

Seriously though, it would do us no good to pretend that they're aren't hundreds of massive objects in space capable of annihilating all life on Earth as we know it. Just sayin'.

J Michael Strasinski had the best reasoning for space exploration I've ever heard.

Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics, and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-Tzu, and Einstein, and Morobuto, and Buddy Holly, and Aristophanes…[and] all of this…all of this…was for nothing. Unless we go to the stars.

D

Dusty668

Scientific inventions and military inventions always end up being the most creative.
That's because in most cases these are inventions for a purpose. Most microminiaturization was intended to get needed guidance inside a missile nose cone or fit pounds of performance into ounces of cargo on manned flight. They have the budget to do pure research often or try things not 'directly applicable to market'. In commercial research, first you have toprove why something will make the company money, then how you will make it, then make it.

Funny that there's no mention of asteroids or meteors. Ya know, those cosmic objects that could really fuck shit up yo. Word.

Seriously though, it would do us no good to pretend that they're aren't hundreds of massive objects in space capable of annihilating all life on Earth as we know it. Just sayin'.
Once we get serious with space flight we will do something about those, mine them for metals, volatiles, and use the empty shells for silica, and ballast for shielding.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
Why do you think she was talking about Brazil in specific, she was speaking of space research in general.
Because she's Brazilian. I don't see why she would care about how Canada fritters its money away.[/QUOTE]

You forget that I mentioned that she was doing it because of her "Christianity"-ness, and in her mentality is not about the country, but about how people aren't perfect as she is.

(note: before someone shouts about "Attacks on Religion", see that underlined that is her mentality, even she doesn't realize herself)

K

Kitty Sinatra

You should tell her that Russia, India, China and Japan aren't even Christian. :p

But anyway, there's really not that much money in space research. NASA's budget is $19 billion - that's 19 out out of a budget of 3,500 billion. And most of that money probably goes to mundane stuff like launching military and communication satellites.

. . . I can't believe I described anything about space as "mundane"

Green_Lantern

Staff member
You should tell her that Russia, India, China and Japan aren't even Christian. :p
Hey, She is annoying, but she still my sister, I don't want to break her little fragile mind ;)

(and isn't Russia back to christianism?)

But anyway, there's really not that much money in space research. NASA's budget is $19 billion - that's 19 out out of a budget of 3,500 billion. And most of that money probably goes to mundane stuff like launching military and communication satellites.
Good point.

. . . I can't believe I described anything about space as "mundane"
Welcome to the future, my friend, the sky is not the limit, is just a limit.

Once we get serious with space flight we will do something about those, mine them for metals, volatiles, and use the empty shells for silica, and ballast for shielding.
Or just use them to destroy species we don't like. Assuming we have the budget for it...

Rocks are NOT “free”, citizen.

Firstly, you must manoeuvre the Emperor’s naval vessel within reach of the asteroid belt, almost assuredly sustaining damage to the Emperor’s ship’s paint from micrometeoroids, while expending the Emperor’s fuel.

Then the tech priests must inspect the rock in question to ascertain its worthyness to do the Emperor’s bidding. Should it pass muster, the Emperor’s Servitors must use the Emperor’s auto-scrappers and melta-cutters to prepare the potential ordinance for movement. Finally, the tech priests finished, the Emperor’s officers may begin manoeuvring the Emperor’s warship to abut the asteroid at the prepared face (expending yet more of the Emperor’s fuel), and then begin boosting the stone towards the offensive planet.

After a few days of expending a prodigious amount of the Emperor’s fuel to accelerate the asteroid into an orbit more fitting to the emperor’s desires, the Emperor’s ship may then return to the planet via superluminous warp travel and await the arrival of the stone, still weeks (or months) away.

After twiddling away the Emperor’s time and eating the Emperor’s food in the wasteful pursuit of making sure that the Emperor’s enemies do not launch a deflection mission, they may finally watch the ordinance impact on the planet (assuming the Emperor’s warship does not need to attempt any last-minute course correction upon the rock, using yet more of the Emperor’s fuel).

Given a typical (class Bravo-CVII) system, we have the following:
Two months, O&M, Titan class warship: 4.2 Million Imperials.
Two months, rations, crew of same: 0.2 MI
Two months, Tech Priest pastor: 1.7 MI
Two months, Servitor parish: 0.3 MI
Paint, Titan class warship: 0.9 MI
Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.9 MI
Total: 9.8 MI

Contrasting with the following:
5 warheads, magna-melta: 2.5 MI
One day, O&M, Titan class warship: 0.3 MI
One day, rations, crew of same: 0.0 MI
Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.1 MI
Total: 2.9 MI

Given the same amount with under one third of the cost, the Emperor will have saved a massive amount of His most sacred money and almost a full month of time, during which His warship may be bombarding an entirely different planet.

The Emperor, through this – His office of Imperial outlays – hereby orders you to attend one (1) week of therapeutic accountancy training/penance. Please report to Areicon IV, Imperial City, Administatum Building CXXI, Room 1456, where you are to sit in the BLUE chair.

For the Emperor,
Bursarius Tenathis,
Purser Level XI,
Imperial Office of Outlays.

CHAPTER APPROVED!!!!

They have the budget to do pure research often or try things not 'directly applicable to market'. In commercial research, first you have toprove why something will make the company money, then how you will make it, then make it.
That's exactly it. Scientists have the leisure of researching apparently useless things that increase our general knowledge. From these research come the actual scientific and technological revolutions.

I'd say something similar happens with space research. In this field large sums of money are devoted to solve outlandish or very specific problems that may not bring any important practical invention, but sometimes do, and since it's something unexpected, no one thought of it before, and will probably be much more revolutionary.

Also, companies can only do short term research, i.e. research that can/may give birth to a product or be sold within a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.