[Question] Who's our El Paso peep? Or Chicago?

Dave

Staff member
We've had hits from El Paso, TX but of course I don't know who this is. I'll be there next Sunday - Tuesday with Monday night completely open. Could say hi, ya know?

Also, I'll be in Chicago June 21 & 22. Sunday night I'll be mostly free and I have a show on Monday, leaving Tuesday. At least, I have to check out & drive Tuesday, but if someone wanted to say hi any of those days I'm all up for it!

doomdragon6

Staff member
I guess I'm surprised we still get that much traffic! I don't pop in much, but when I do not a lot has changed.

Dave

Staff member
Well, you were certainly close with Nicaragua.

Funny story. When I was in grade school we each had to write a letter to the President or leader of a country. We didn't get to choose them but were instead given a country. I got Nicaragua. I was the only one who got a response in my class and it was from a President that was shortly thereafter deposed.[DOUBLEPOST=1432663823,1432663779][/DOUBLEPOST]
I guess I'm surprised we still get that much traffic! I don't pop in much, but when I do not a lot has changed.
You don't mess with success, baby. I've given up trying to get more people and just keeping the doors open for whomever wants to stop by.

Dave

Staff member
That is an awesome story.
What makes it interesting is that we were supposed to write a thank you note back and the teacher told me I didn't have to. I didn't know at the time but I think it's because he was killed...

Sixpack and I are about the same distance away, 16-17 hours, I think that Gas is a little closer, like 15-16 hour drive.

I tend to factor in stopping for gas and food, and just general bs of passing through rural Texas and the all-mighty slow driving tractor on a two lane road.

My mother was once asked by the moving company she worked for to run a package to Brownsville from Longview. She said "Hell you are only in Chicago, I am just halfway there."

GasBandit

Staff member
I lived in El Paso in the early 90s, but didn't keep in touch with anybody since I moved around 93 or so.

I've got an uncle in Chicago who lives there with his wife and two sons, but I don't think he's here.

fade

Staff member
I drove through El Paso once. Kept right on going. If you're driving, taking 90 instead of I-10 east-west is way more interesting and not terribly slower in the long run.

I once took a wrong turn in El Paso and ended up in the border lane, and couldn't turn around until I was in Mexico. It must have looked suspicious so coming back to the U.S. I got a bunch of questions and had to open the trunk, etc. This was before passports were required and you could just drive into Mexico.

As long as you're not driving incompetent like me, you should be fine.

GasBandit

Staff member
No choice. Zach will be stationed at Bliss.
Well, things might have changed in 20 years, but when I lived there the best neighborhoods (and by that I mean least shitty) were way out on the northwest side, up around North Riesler Drive. You can still have a reasonable commute back to base via Trans Mountain Highway.

Dear Iceland people,

What is the best month for aurora hunting? I'm ok with cold!
I visited Tromso, Norway late October 2014. Stuff I've read says best probability is October to March (most hours of darkness), but of course avoid rainy seasons.

...You didn't notice I was just gone for 2 weeks?
You didn't notice that Belgium holds the title for longest session duration (80% longer than #2 contender Ecuador!) and yet accounts for < 1% of total unique IPs?
To me, that says Bubble.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I'm back. Did a marathon 18 hour drive back. Got in at about 4:13 this morning, local time. We got a late start because the military is never very efficient. Heck, we were supposed to be back Tuesday and had to extend another day because Army.

I'll post more probably tomorrow with pictures. Fort Bliss is huge and we liked it there, even if the PX is super expensive.