Who Is YOUR Favorite Beatle?

Who Is YOUR Favorite Beatle?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Philosopher B.

Goddamn. I am thirsty for a poll y'all c'mon let's DO IT UHHH!

In case you are high or are from another planet just visiting, I'm talkin' 'bout these cats:

My personal favorite Beatle is this man:

I know some people take a dump on his drumming, but goddamn. When I think of a lot of Beatles songs, the beat comes instantly to mind. FORRINSTANCE: And he toooooold THUMP THUMP us of his life THUMPA THUMP in the laaaaaand THUMP THUMPA THUMP of submarines THUMP THUMP.

And yeah, he probably penned/sang the simplest songs in the Beatles catalog, but they're so damn catchy. From his vocals and drumming on the famous Yellow Submarine to penning the underwater epic Octopus's Garden it was all awesome. Especially the latter. I mean, sheee-it, mang, the motherplucking muppets covered that song:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZqXspiN-lg:2w8vcbp8][/youtube:2w8vcbp8]

And of course he sang the Buck Owens cover Act Naturally, which to me is one of the more memorable of their earlier songs. And don't get me started on how splendiferous With A Little Help From My Friends is.

He was also hilarious in the Beatles' movies, particularly Help! I mean when he tried to post that letter you coulda knocked down my ass with a feather.

Plus I think he just helped keep the band going and shit whilst they were together; he was clearly the funnyman, the soul of the band.

After that I'd say my next fav Beatle would be Harrison, on account of he had the most awesome post-Beatles career by my reckoning. I mean, sheee-it, did Paul McCartney ever do anything as awesome as this:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIjlUMV6Is:2w8vcbp8][/youtube:2w8vcbp8]

?! I DON'T THINK SO.

So who's your favorite Beatle. C'mon kiddos don't be shy. Just speak right up there. AW YEAH.

There is far too much pelvic thrusting in this thread.

Also I don't much care for any of them more than the others, Beatles are one of those "I know they're influential, but they're not my cup of tea" bands. I listen if they're on the radio, but I don't buy anything.

basically the only reason people get really excited about stuff ringo did was because he is such an underdog.

anyway, i like lennon. he is the beatle i identify the most with.

P

Philosopher B.

CynicismKills said:
There is far too much pelvic thrusting in this thread.
I think it's a case of NOT NEARLY ENOUGH.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ZcIAAFU7I:368m07rt][/youtube:368m07rt]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6arjtJAq2E:368m07rt][/youtube:368m07rt]

P

Philosopher B.

Woo Mr. Harrison is in the lead.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. First person to post a pic of Beetle Bailey gets a slappin'. :slap:

Damn YOUUUU!!!

This is a hard one.

Although Ringo would be, by far, my last choice. I know the guy is still a fucking Beatle and he did everything that comes with it, the man played soccer with Elvis and toked with Bob Dylan. Still, any other decent drummer could have taken his place. He provided pretty much nil musically. Octopus's Garden is a great kids song... but it's just that.. a kid's song. Those other songs you mentioned he sang, Philosopher, Paul wrote. In fact, when he wrote Yellow Submarine he wanted it as a song for Ringo, so he had to keep the vocal ranges flat for him.

PLUS.. he was NOT the one that kept them together.. he was the first one to up and quit, in fact, during the Get Back sessions in what would turn out to be the Let It Be album. They had to convince him to come back.
I'm also sorry to tell you Philosopher that it's a well known fact that the "funny" Beatle was always John. He's the one that broke out the funny voices and acts when things got stressful. When all the others were sweating about not hearing themselves in Shea Stadium it was John who goofed around and played the piano with his elbows to get them all to relax. Or began talking like a special-ed kid to make the others giggle. John was the funny man. (At least pre-Yoko. Post-Yoko John is a whole 'nother story. Although... "sweet loretta fart thought she was a cleaner but she was a frying pan" still cracks me up every time I hear it, and that's pretty much at the very end.)

So your reasons FAIL :p

But I also disagree that George made the best post-Beatles career. None of them got to Beatles level, sure, but Paul was by far the most successful. Wings had some pretty great songs, and the man composed the BEST Bond theme ever in Live and Let Die. Band on the Run, Mull of Kintyre. He has some great pearls here and there.

George... how I love George... but again, he just couldn't compete with the sheer brute force that was Lennon/McCartney. While my Guitar Gently Weeps is one of my favorite songs ever written.. but is it on the same level as, say.. Eleanor Rigby? Strawberry Fields? Helter Skelter? A Day In The Life? Here, There and Everywhere? I'm not convinced.. but I lean towards "no".

Musically... I'd have to say Paul. But with John backing him up, not alone.

Over all? I love George, Paul and John oodles... but that musical thing gives Paul the edge.

So, if I cna't vote for all three.. I gotta say Paul.

To actually answer the question, though, Paul. With George as a close second. I could listen to Hey, Jude and Yesterday until my last day on Earth.

A bit I saw on Anthology made me smile bittersweetly. When Paul played his first "draft" of Hey Jude for John, when he got to the line "the movement you need is on your shoulder" Paul said he knew it was rubbish and he was gonna change that, but John instantly told him "What? NO! That's the best line in the song, it's brilliant! You're not changing it!"

so now every time Paul plays Hey Jude, when he gets to that line, he thinks of John. Sometimes gets emotional, even. In a concert I saw on YouTube (before I knew why) when he sang that line he looked to the sky and touched the side of his nose.

:waah:

P

Philosopher B.

Calleja said:
So your reasons FAIL
Well, you're the Beatles expert. :tongue: The only band I can think of for which I probably have anything near comparative knowledge is Parliament-Funkadelic. Ringo's still my choice though. :D

Calleja said:
Those other songs you mentioned he sang, Philosopher, Paul wrote.
Hence my only mentioning songwriting credits for Octopus's Garden.

But he wasn't either the funny one nor the "soul of the band" NOR the one that kept them together! He was the FIRST one to quit! :humph:

Yes, Mother Mary, ma'am.

But I just have to add this:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK2hKzZss5Y:2iyobji2][/youtube:2iyobji2]

What an amazing show that was.

P

Philosopher B.

ZenMonkey said:
Calleja said:
by far the most successful
!= "best."

"Best" is subjective. In my canon "Life of Brian" beats out Wings.

So let it be.
As long as we're on the subject of Harrison and awesome Handmade films ...

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2wrte1ijlY:16y3gsg1][/youtube:16y3gsg1]

:D

Edit: Also, you gotta love the Traveling Wilburys.

R

Reboneer

Ringo, because he was the only Beatle to ever narrate Thomas the Tank Engine :humph:

You people have the stupidest reasons!!

Cause your teacher LOOKS like him!? REALLY?!

Is the sanctity of a "Favorite Beatle" debate lost on you people!?!

I hate you guys.

M

Mr_Chaz

George for a few reasons:

While My guitar Gently Weeps
My Sweet Lord
Here Comes The Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.