Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

For Christmas I got my girlfriend a gift card for a 90 minute massage to the place she likes in town. Unfortunately she hadn't taken the opportunity to use it since they only do massages in increments of hours on the weekends. She's a teacher so she was going to use it on her February break but she got sick. So she was planning on doing it for her spring break.

Today the massage place caught fire.

I really love it when they decide to turn off the water to the entire park just as I'm coming home from my morning routes.

Felt something coming on as I was winding up my Saturday shift. "No problem," I thought. "I have Sunday off and should be good by Monday."
Well I was not back to 100% by Monday, and because of the giant Coronavirus scare, rather than go in to work, I called off. I have an entire month's worth of sick time stored up, after all (I think I've called in maybe 10 times in 12 years).
Tuesday morning, we all wake up and come to find out my kid has caught pink eye. Yaaaaaaaaay.
Still went in on Tuesday because I was good and I only called off the one day.
Should've stayed home, because now I have laryngitis. Yaaaaaaaaay.

--Patrick

I have finally drawn the line at work. I had to go in and meet the cops for a potential break in earlier in the week. I’ve been dealing with gross maintenance for years. They took too long to approve my training, so I missed my training today and they missed part of my supply order. There were mouse turds near my backpack. I am also being left to deal with the network issues. We’ve been hot spotting our cell phones in the meantime. IT and I have an appointment to work through the problem over the phone tomorrow after I run the landlord through the premises.

What did I draw the line on? Going into the men’s room to check it’s state for them. I said no. Hell no, even. If the guys refuse to go in, I sure as shit won’t be.

Good for you! I had to clean both restrooms when I worked at Tim’s. They were ok because they got cleaned regularly. The ones here? Like never.

IANAL, but with your immune system issues, they're setting themselves up for a mighty big lawsuit with this willful negligence.

OTOH, with your immune system issues, why haven't you told them "(three pages of expletive deletes), I'm out"?

Dave

Staff member
Went home from work early on Tuesday. Stayed home Wednesday. Tried to go in Tursday (you have to say this like Roy on the IT Crowd) but only made it to 11 am. Went to the doctor. Influenza-B. In fact, something called Influenza-B/Victoria, which normally shows only in children. Doc said it's a damned good thing I got my flu shot this year or it would have hit me really hard.

So I'm home again today as I am still able to pass it along.

And no, I didn't get tested for COVID-19. My doctor doesn't have any way of testing and even if he did I am not shelling out $3000 to do so.

IANAL, but with your immune system issues, they're setting themselves up for a mighty big lawsuit with this willful negligence.

OTOH, with your immune system issues, why haven't you told them "(three pages of expletive deletes), I'm out"?
Because they pay me really well and I have excellent benefits.

I can’t even process today. I was crawling through the LAN room/moving supplies on a dolly etc while able bodied dudes watched and waited with questions. Dudes, I’m busy.

Thursday, had a sudden onset of what I thought was heartburn. The heartburn went away, but the upper middle part of my back was still sore. Chalked it up to my usual back pain, especially since I'd been trying to start walking again around our park.

Friday morning, woke up with a dry cough. Got more persistent as the day went on, to the point where my bus monitor handed me a cough drop during our run. Usually, dry cough around here means not enough water, but in this case, it wasn't going away after some sips of water. And that ache in the middle of my back wasn't going away.

Took cough suppressant last night, had a lousy night's sleep, cough's still there. I go into Urgent Care in about two hours.

It's been nice knowing you...

Good News: it's not COVID-19.

Bad News: It is Influenza-A.

Crappy News: There goes my first spring training game on Sunday.

So much for that Flu shot I got back in October.

Sorry, I don't mean that top come off as mocking or cold, and I just realised you might read it that way.
No, I mean - no matter what you plan for, you never know what emergency - or emergencies - will hit when, and it's impossible to prepare for everything at once. You're doing the best you can, given the suckiest of hands being dealt to you right now.

Dave

Staff member
So much for that Flu shot I got back in October.
Flu shots are just a "this will guard against the most common strains" kind of thing. So either you got a strain that the shot didn't cover, or you're very, VERY fortunate that you got the shot because it could have been much worst.

Flu shots are just a "this will guard against the most common strains" kind of thing. So either you got a strain that the shot didn't cover, or you're very, VERY fortunate that you got the shot because it could have been much worst.
I'm very much aware of that. I actually believe it's both, TBH.

Gotta get an oil change today.
Only way to really do this is to be waiting right at their door when they open in the morning before their docket can fill up for the day.
No problem, just means I have to be sitting in front of their bay door by 7a.
With the hour drive, that means I have to leave home by 6a.
In order to be ready in time, that means I have to get up by 5a.
With the switch to DST yesterday, that means it's like I'm getting up at 4a.
Bleah.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Just got this at my school:

As of today, we have a small number of students and employees who may have been exposed to the virus. All of these individuals are either self-quarantining or pursuing testing as directed by health care professionals.

Dude! I just got over the fucking flu! Last thing I need is to have to lock myself away for two weeks without being able to go to work or see people or...wait. That sounds AWESOME!

If I get it, but don't fee so sick that I can't work, either my work can give me free sick time, buy me a desktop computer so I can work from home, or I'm going into work.

Dave

Staff member
I can actually work from home so it's nothing to me. But I'm one of the very, very lucky few. I fully realize most people can't do that.

Our school just sent us a survey to see if Li'l Z is equipped to learn from home (i.e. remotely on the computer) should we quarantined. Mr. Z texted me to ask if we have enough food.

I hate this stupid pandemic. Why can't it be something cool and fun, like a zombie apocalypse? But nooOOOOoo, I may have to be stuck inside with my family 24/7 just to avoid getting a cold*. Meh.

*Yes, I KNOW it's more serious than a cold. But this is the Whine thread, so Whine I shall!

I should be grateful to get anything at all, but when someone promises to pick up the tab for a repair, leaving me on the look for a good $80 of it because I had to pay the shop myself and get reimbursed...

I'm a little bit angry.