Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Fucking air travel
Yay, barely made connecting flight because of delays, and my luggage of course did NOT make it and is probably trapped somewhere at Midway because the next flight to Denver isn't until morning. *sigh*

Could be worse, I guess I do still get to sleep in my own bed tonight.

fade

Staff member
Ah, Christmas. When I get to play the game of "buy something my wife will like, but that doesn't cost above some hidden threshold because then she'll get mad at me, and then I feel guilty when I see how much she ironically spent on me". Marketing is still working on shortening the name.

Ah, Christmas. When I get to play the game of "buy something my wife will like, but that doesn't cost above some hidden threshold because then she'll get mad at me, and then I feel guilty when I see how much she ironically spent on me". Marketing is still working on shortening the name.
"Catch-22"

I'm with you on that one, Frank. A few minutes ago I was ready to throw my sister down a flight of stairs, and I would have done so with a smile on my face and no remorse.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Everything feels kinda pointless right now. I don't feel like a whole lot matters. I've got stuff I could be working on and doing, but I just keep procrastinating. Oddly enough, I get my responsibilities done, but it's my hobbies I don't feel like giving a shit about right now.

I'd like to think it's its own little separate problem from everything else, but who knows.

I also take a lot of naps, which I've heard is a sign of depression, but I don't feel depressed. I just don't feel amazingly happy. Y'know?

Anyway, I've got a con coming up next weekend. Maybe that'll be fun.

What does depression feel like?
I know what it's like for me and what a few others have told me about their experiences. I'm curious what you think it should feel like for you.

I know what it's like for me and what a few others have told me about their experiences. I'm curious what you think it should feel like for you.
Well, what I imagine it feels like is being smothered, like having the power steering go out on your emotions where it becomes such an enormous effort to drive your feelings that you just put your hands on the wheel out of habit but you're not actually driving any longer, you're just riding.

--Patrick

doomdragon6

Staff member
For me, when I'm depressed it feels like an unbearable sadness that just weighs on you. Usually it's accompanied by not being able to see a better way, an escape, a way out, basically trapped in your miserable suffering until something changes.

Here, that's not what I'm experiencing. It's a moderate lethargy, where I don't feel like doing the things I'd normally want to do. I definitely sleep a bunch-- I actually woke up 4 hours ago and took 3 naps before getting up. Took several naps past few days. Anyway, it just feels hard to care. I'm fine when I'm with friends, but when I'm not around then I'm reminded of how pointless and empty it feels, and none of them -really-, -truly- care.

I think I'm just dwelling on my ex situation, and I've hit a point where I don't know what to do about it, so I'm stretching myself in both directions (do something, don't do something) to the point that I'm mentally exhausted and just don't want to do anything.

Even today, I've got a full-ass day ahead of me full of potential, and really I just want to sleep it by. I don't even want to spend time doing nothing, like watching a show. Just wanna sleep. Til my next "marker", like "On Monday this happens. Let's sleep til that. On Friday this happens. Let's sleep til that."

Again, I'm taking care of my responsibilities, but all the other stuff is falling by the wayside.

FIt's a moderate lethargy, where I don't feel like doing the things I'd normally want to do. I definitely sleep a bunch-- I actually woke up 4 hours ago and took 3 naps before getting up. Took several naps past few days. Anyway, it just feels hard to care. I'm fine when I'm with friends, but when I'm not around then I'm reminded of how pointless and empty it feels, and none of them -really-, -truly- care.
What you are experiencing could be depression. It isn't always sadness. Often it can be feeling empty or numb. Not enjoying things you used to love doing can be a sign, just like sleeping a lot (which ironically creates isolation that makes depression worse). If the thoughts about your ex are effecting your life this much, then honestly getting some form of counseling isn't going to hurt. They might be able to help you reframe your thoughts so you can close that chapter and have a better idea of the direction you want to take from there.

doomdragon6

Staff member
What you are experiencing could be depression. It isn't always sadness. Often it can be feeling empty or numb. Not enjoying things you used to love doing can be a sign, just like sleeping a lot (which ironically creates isolation that makes depression worse). If the thoughts about your ex are effecting your life this much, then honestly getting some form of counseling isn't going to hurt. They might be able to help you reframe your thoughts so you can close that chapter and have a better idea of the direction you want to take from there.
Thing is, I was in a way worse place before, shortly after we broke up. That was for-real dark depression, and I did therapy and all kinds of bullcrap, and I did eventually manage past it.

Then she entered my life again. And again. And again. And we went through this cycle. And basically I always feel like I need to make some decision or another and I never can.

The ex thing isn't that big right now. It's been much much bigger in the past and it's weighed on me far far more back then. Here, it's mostly just a small thing that pokes at my brain throughout most of the day, and it'll eventually go away, or something else will happen. It's not really possible to close that chapter because she's still a major character. Literally, exact same social group, same best friends.

Really, it feels like we ought to be together, but there's still something in the back of my mind that won't let me tell her that. Whether it's guilt, commitment issues, or legitimately my brain telling me it won't work in the long run, it's just there.

*shrug* I appreciate everyone listening and caring. I really REALLY hate being emo dramatic dude. I used to be the most positive cheerful person ever. I would damn love to get back to that.

Everything feels kinda pointless right now. I don't feel like a whole lot matters. I've got stuff I could be working on and doing, but I just keep procrastinating. Oddly enough, I get my responsibilities done, but it's my hobbies I don't feel like giving a shit about right now.

I'd like to think it's its own little separate problem from everything else, but who knows.

I also take a lot of naps, which I've heard is a sign of depression, but I don't feel depressed. I just don't feel amazingly happy. Y'know?

Anyway, I've got a con coming up next weekend. Maybe that'll be fun.
Depression doesn't have to be an overwhelming black pit of despair. There are degrees of depression.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/basics/symptoms/con-20032977

• Feelings of sadness, tearfulness, emptiness or hopelessness
  • Angry outbursts, irritability or frustration, even over small matters
  • Loss of interest or pleasure in most or all normal activities, such as sex, hobbies or sports
  • Sleep disturbances, including insomnia or sleeping too much
  • Tiredness and lack of energy, so even small tasks take extra effort
  • Changes in appetite — often reduced appetite and weight loss, but increased cravings for food and weight gain in some people
  • Anxiety, agitation or restlessness
  • Slowed thinking, speaking or body movements
  • Feelings of worthlessness or guilt, fixating on past failures or blaming yourself for things that aren't your responsibility
  • Trouble thinking, concentrating, making decisions and remembering things
  • Frequent or recurrent thoughts of death, suicidal thoughts, suicide attempts or suicide
  • Unexplained physical problems, such as back pain or headaches
If you are experiencing some of these symptoms, it might be worthwhile to visit a doc and talk about it. Even if you don't feel like it was as bad as it was before.

Eight weeks ago I loved my job. I am now actually freaking out and weepy that I have to go in tomorrow.

The new boss was angry on Friday and flipped out at me over the phone. A list of reasons why I was a problem including my total disrespect for her personal time because I sent an email to her at 10pm. An email that I sent to tell her the outrageous deadline she imposed on us for no reason was going to met and I was really excited to tell her. I gave up all my personal time last month for her and one email that I didn't expect a response on that night set her off. I can't win and the rules are always changing. I can't call her without permission and I'm not allowed to email her unless its critical. So, I tried to make an appointment with her where I have to tell her that feedback is cool, but that the abusive tone isn't. I can't let her ruin my job and under no circumstances can I left her unleash on one of my staff that way.

FML

That's the reason I am telling her about her tone/abusiveness. I can't involve Labour Relations or my union until I have told her that I find her behavior offensive. it may not sound like it, but I have thick skin. I have some staff, who would melt down if spoken to that way.

Old boss still hasn't gotten it that you shouldn't tell your employees they don't deserve the minimum wage they're being paid, or tell them their "benefits" are having that job at all.

And one wonders why staff continues to walk out on him en masse.

And then there was the owner, who expected maintenance and some housekeepers to do extra work at his house. :facepalm:

fade

Staff member
This thread is suffering from rant inflation.

So here's a whine: someone from another country left cookies out. They looked like they were dusted in cinnamon and sugar, so I popped one in my mouth whole, and now I regret it. It was sugar, but not cinnamon. It's something that seems very familiar, but not something I've had in sweets. It's very strong, and I cannot get the taste out of my mouth. Blech. It was not good.

Which country were they from so we can narrow down the offending spice?

My list of suspects:
-Allspice
-Star Anise
-Cloves

My money is on cloves. Shit be strong, yo.

fade

Staff member
It definitely was not cloves, anise, or allspice. It was something I usually have on meat I guess? Maybe something related to curry? I can't tell, it's vague but strong if that makes sense.

The reason I mention cardamom is because it's a very common middle-eastern spice, and I've tasted it in a lot of mid east desserts. It's also used in curries, so I'm guessing I might be on the right track here

Garam masala sounds like. Surely they didn't use black cardamom or curry powder. Garam masala would look like cinnamon since it's usually in most masalas. Green cardamom would be yummy on sugar cookies. It's great in ice cream or kheer.[DOUBLEPOST=1448906464,1448906431][/DOUBLEPOST]
The reason I mention cardamom is because it's a very common middle-eastern spice, and I've tasted it in a lot of mid east desserts. It's also used in curries, so I'm guessing I might be on the right track here
Black not green, but both can easily over power.

It definitely was not cloves, anise, or allspice. It was something I usually have on meat I guess? Maybe something related to curry? I can't tell, it's vague but strong if that makes sense.
Pastitsio ("Greek Lasagna") is a beef/pasta dish which usually contains allspice and/or nutmeg.
So maybe it was nutmeg? I wonder if someone didn't grab the nutmeg (or garam masala) instead of the cinnamon and then decided to leave the cookies out after they tasted "unusual."
On a related note, let me tell you about the time my grandmother-in-law made potato salad and accidentally confused cayenne pepper with paprika. Zesty!

--Patrick