Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I do not understand shipping rates. They are an indecipherable mystery to me! I recently had to go forgo a purchase, where I would have spent $40 shipping $30 worth of stuff and there was no way to justify that to myself.

Argh.

fade

Staff member
So I see DCUO is now free to play. I open up the Playstation Store and download. Start the "game", and ... Now downloading, 18GB remaining. :eek:

So I realised I never finished my renegade playthrough of Mass Effect 2, and decided to do the last mission before I played 3...

My game crashed in the midst of the second-to-last section inside the final base.

:(

M

makare

I wanted to make a deep throat joke but I wont.

Hope you feel better soon.

Finally got Mass Effect 3 and... It won't run. No errors or anything, it just blinks into existence in the task manager (no window pops up) and then immediately crashes.

I've searched out every support from EA/Bioware and none of the fixes work.

Sadface.

Frigging moron I'm supposed to write a paper with, not only she confuses WORD and CHARACTER limits, but after I've been working my ass off to set and explain one of the main pillars of our paper's analysis, she decides to delete all references to it. (Punctuated with a smiley in an e-mail, of course)

So what I get is that she probably still doesn't understand what we are writing about or that she just wants to talk about some of the more technical aspects of what we were supposed to cover in this article, and not my more narrative/cultural analysis (she's the advertising phd student, I'm the cinema student that has a phd scholarship in an advertising department), even if what we are speaking about is how "cultural insights" affect brand storytelling...

GRGHAGGRGFGA.

Two nights ago I leaned back a bit in my chair and broke it. (It was a cheap, all-plastic office chair). So as a replacement, I have this hard wood dining room table chair. Its too high, and my ass hurts. Even with the huge stack of pillows.

So, why am I itching myself crazy and taking benadryl, you ask?

Because of a self-inflicted hangnail.

About two weeks ago, I trimmed my middle finger on my right hand just a little too close, and it ended up infected. I was in pain every time I tried to type on the computer (and it was twice as bad, since my last name ends with a "k", so I was hitting the K key every single time), so I went in to see the doc.

She suggested soaking the finger in soapy water and taking something called "Bactrim" - aka trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole. Didn't think much of it.

A week later, the finger's doing fine, but suddenly my feet start itching. Feels kinda like how it did when I got chicken pox.

Last night, my back was really itching, too. Didn't think anything of it until I woke up this afternoon - and my stomach had a rash on it, as did my leg and arms.

Guess what? Sulfa drug allergy. Now I'm on Prednisone and Benadryl therapy to relieve the itching and try to reduce the redness.

Meanwhile, I look like I fell into a pit of Poison Ivy.

So, why am I itching myself crazy and taking benadryl, you ask?

Because of a self-inflicted hangnail.

About two weeks ago, I trimmed my middle finger on my right hand just a little too close, and it ended up infected. I was in pain every time I tried to type on the computer (and it was twice as bad, since my last name ends with a "k", so I was hitting the K key every single time), so I went in to see the doc.

She suggested soaking the finger in soapy water and taking something called "Bactrim" - aka trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole. Didn't think much of it.

A week later, the finger's doing fine, but suddenly my feet start itching. Feels kinda like how it did when I got chicken pox.

Last night, my back was really itching, too. Didn't think anything of it until I woke up this afternoon - and my stomach had a rash on it, as did my leg and arms.

Guess what? Sulfa drug allergy. Now I'm on Prednisone and Benadryl therapy to relieve the itching and try to reduce the redness.

Meanwhile, I look like I fell into a pit of Poison Ivy.
I have pretty severe allergies myself, to just about everything. When I break out in hives, what works best for me (other than benadryl, which usually puts me to sleep pretty quick), is Gold Bond lotion. Burns for a bit, and then all the itchiness disappears.

Firefox needs to stop releasing new versions every two weeks. They only seem to make it less stable.
Now that they have caught up with IE, I think they are going to slow down again.

It was really pissing us off at work. We have an app that we run through Firefox. And we had to keep up with their update pace.

I'm enjoying my film class for the most part, but jesus christ, the teacher is the biggest film snob I've ever met (even more so than some of the snobbier film buffs here). Obviously, if it's not in the Criterion collection, it's crap in his eyes. He thinks that making any sort of adaptation of a comic book is a waste of film (most likely because he believes that if they weren't spending money on all that Batman CGI, they'd finally produce his art house piece of drek).

He's just so stereo typically film snobby that it drives me up a wall.

Oh, he also views Star Wars as being the movie that killed cinema.

Respectfully, I say bullshit. Firstly, movies are still made in roughly the same classical hollywood cinema style. Just because blockbusters exist doesn't mean that artistic films don't exist.

By his, and extention your logic, Apocalypse Now, Blue Velvet, The Accused, Witness, Amadeus all aren't films, or cinema? That's the weakness of the argument. The hollywood system's shit has always outweighed it's gems. It's just more pretentious to hate on anything newer.

fade

Staff member
There are obvious pop-pandering piles of manure, but just because something is big budget doesn't mean it wasn't artfully crafted. I also contest that the heady, complex "films" pre-star wars were just about as rare, it's just that those are the only ones anyone really bothers remembering out of the thousands of crappy ones that also existed then.

There are obvious pop-pandering piles of manure, but just because something is big budget doesn't mean it wasn't artfully crafted. I also contest that the heady, complex "films" pre-star wars were just about as rare, it's just that those are the only ones anyone really bothers remembering out of the thousands of crappy ones that also existed then.
Yep. Which creates the illusion that "back then" had a greater volume of good films.

Meanwhile, I think I have a map of the Apostle Islands in rash form on my right thigh. Either that or the Philippines.

Just to stir the movie/cinema pot, why are sound and color (both of which were originally dismissed as fads, mind you) significantly able to give the filmmaker a deeper palette to work with to create deeper pieces of film, but 3D is just a fad?

Just to stir the movie/cinema pot, why are sound and color (both of which were originally dismissed as fads, mind you) significantly able to give the filmmaker a deeper palette to work with to create deeper pieces of film, but 3D is just a fad?
With the exception of animated films, and good films that plan for 3D, 3D just takes away from the experience. Especially with loss of color in post production.

With the exception of animated films, and good films that plan for 3D, 3D just takes away from the experience. Especially with loss of color in post production.
See, that's sensible. If anything kills 3D, it will be the after-thought hatchet jobs they keep putting out.

@QMP- They said exactly the same thing about both color and sound when they were first introduced to films.

@QMP- They said exactly the same thing about both color and sound when they were first introduced to films.
I'm saying it about 3D. Have you watched the 3D movies from the 80s? There's a reason this fad vanished for a couple decades. It was just throwing things at the camera. It's not shocking that they're doing the exact same thing with 3D movies today. I'm not saying 3D could never add anything, but I've not seen a single 3D movie that was just as good in 2D, or better because the colors aren't all muddled. Two movies I saw in theaters in 3D, Avatar and Coraline, were just as great on my TV. Didn't miss anything from not seeing Sully's tail awkwardly pop from the screen, or the paper mice not jutting up from the screen when they visit Coraline's room.

I could also argue that Gone With the Wind would have been just as great in Black and White, however, Wizard of Oz, used it to great effect. So, yes, depending on what the artists do with it adds or detracts overall.

Also, comparing 80s 3D to current 3D is an automatically broken argument. 80s 3D looked just plain aweful due to having to use the red/cyan glasses.

In summation:
haters-gonna-hate.jpg

What the fuck, since when did the Mythbusters have anything to do with Tested?

Also, when 3D movies don't make my eyes hurt and water incessantly I'll give them more of a chance. Until then, fug off, it's bad. The addition of sound and colour to movies didn't cause a decent portion of the audience actual discomfort.

It's weird, but from a cinematography standpoint, Underworld 4 has used 3D in actually effective ways that don't fall into the "let's just throw shit at the screen" schlock. If it had a better story and better actors, it may have changed more minds about the astetic that 3D can provide.

Yes, not for everyone, but to completely dismiss it because you personally don't like it doesn't mean that it can't be used effectively, and yes, artistically.

I think when I can't watch a movie because it is physically causing me pain that the addition of 3D does indeed detract from the artistic quality of it.

Well, gee, it's a shame they don't also come out in 2d as well... oh wait, they do. I'm sorry it's not something you can partake in, but that still doesn't mean that it can be written off entirely.