Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I figure it's analogous to, say, medical professionals dealing with sick anti-vaxxers or something like that.

Imagine we have a forumite who's a doctor or a nurse, who at the height of the pandemic had to deal with people calling them liars about the vaccine, or demanding injections of horse paste, or threatening to sue them because of whatever hare-brained reason they can think of. Imagine if the aforesaid doctor or nurse came onto the forum and called them "these fuckin' quack idiots" or said something like, "sometimes I think we should just let them all die." No, I don't think calling people idiots is okay, nor do I think medical professionals should advocate letting patients die. But I understand the need to vent, especially since this forum is a relatively safe place for us to get our feelings out. I don't think saying such things would necessarily indicate that a doctor or nurse will be any less professional in their work or will deliberately or negligently cause harm to the people they're meant to be caring for.

So yeah, IronBrig's posts are not nice, but I'm fine with him venting on his wife's behalf. (Sorry for getting that wrong earlier, btw.)

Working in a school and doing IT, I see all the classes. There's one teacher here that has to have a helper just to keep one kid seated and on-task or they will bolt to the door if attention is taken off of them for a second. That is not a Special Ed class or a special case. Kid just refuses to behave. Calls home go unanswered, only grandma will ever come to the school to try to do anything with the child. Prevailing theory is the kid is roundly ignored at home and left to do whatever they want and fend for themselves.

There are shitty parents. There are also parents who try, but the kid is still a little shit. Venting should not be taken seriously.

I think people have a problem with calling children feral because they are not rational adults with life experience. My kids can act quite obnoxious at times, cry over silly shit, and honestly be quite mean to their siblings. But, they are children. They don't have the maturity to understand the world around them.
These feral kids are quite likely products of a anxiety and fear-based home life. Kids can use brutal and vile words and disrupt classes for attention. But, they quite likely don't even know why they are behaving that way.
Hell, I can be a grumpy ass if I am hungry and I am in my 40s. If I can be manipulated by hunger as an adult just think how hard it is for kids with a terrible home life.

I agree with you up to a point. There are the issues that usually come with childhood. Teachers are equipped to handle obnoxious kids. But I'm talking about kids who intentionally upend water bottles onto the carpet, steal food from classmates and even teachers, and routinely hit their classmates. These are issues that get Behavioral Interventionists involved. One of the kids regularly threatens to kill himself by holding his breath. When he realizes nobody is paying attention, he wets his pants so he can get a free pass to the nurse's office (that's where they keep extra clothes). The turd isn't even housebroken. Our dog is more advanced.

The kids have gotten much worse since the pandemic. Somebody else posted here (can't find the post now) that their Mom is retiring from a career as a kindergarten teacher partly because of that.

When I taught in Korea, it was at an English immersion academy. The kids weren't supposed to speak Korean except during breaks. During one break, one of the kids walked past a teacher's room and called her the Korean equivalent of bitch. The teacher didn't speak Korean so she didn't know. At that moment, a Korean secretary rounded the corner. She was a tiny woman but she rushed the kid, wrenched his arm behind his back, and pushed him into room. She practically slammed him onto the desk and forced him to stammer an apology. You just know he got his ass whooped when he got home that night.

Can't risk it, some of the stuff in the background should really not be showing up in any sort of professional context.
Teams (assuming you're using Teams) also has funky backgrounds you can use, too. My manager uses a Minecraft background, for example. There are other less nerdy ones, but it's better than a blurry background or showing whatever horrors are in your room.

Dave

Staff member
When I had to do remotes I would copy a picture from the university and using that as my background. It’s professional but doesn’t let them see my room.