Whats for Dinner?

Yet another visit to The American Poutine Company. This time for Fried Chicken Poutine. (I suspect it was tenders cut up on top of the curds and fries, but whatevs.)

Sous-vide porkchop, kimchi-potato pancakes, and broccoli with oyster sauce. Didn't take a picture because it wasn't a very pretty plate. Tasted good, though.

Dave

Staff member
Restaurant quality food at home and I don't have to change out of my pajama pants?!? Yes, please!

And it's the only way I can get Indian food. My wife hates it so the only time I get it is when my son and I do StD. Since, you know, nobody wants to go out & sit to eat.

Dave

Staff member
Well, Kerri can't do spicy food and I love it. Plus most Indian food looks like baby shit on rice and she can't get past the look. Her loss. Indian food is amazing.

I have a 12lb bag of black beans I keep meaning to go through, except I don't know any recipes that use them in significant amounts. A friend suggested I look up feijoada, so here's my first batch from last night:

IMG_20190131_214525170.jpg

I think it needs more meat types (I had bacon and hocks, I think I'll add small ribs and some sort of sausage next time), more spice, and more lime juice. Overall, it's a pretty fantastic use for black beans.

It was for lunch, but I had myself a Double-double with fries and a Diet Coke. It was at the newest In 'n Out in Mesa, on the northeast side just off the 202. Amazingly the drive thru was relatively light for the time I was there. Burger was great, even though I had to wait a bit to munch on it when I got home.

No pictures, but made beer-can chicken last night on the grill. Indirect charcoal heat for 1.5 hrs, rotating every 20 min. The skin was a beautiful mahogany color. I wish I had brined the bird b/c the breast were a little dry, but the skin was so crunchy and yummy. I tossed a chunk of oak on the coals about 15 minutes towards the end of cooking to give some smoky flavor. Good stuff.

Paella?

—Patrick
It's on the list. :D I have about 20 saffron-related recipes stuck in a bookmarks folder waiting for exploration. Paella, chicken tangine, saffron lamb and side dishes like fried saffron cauliflower, saffron roast potatoes, etc.

2g of saffron is actually quite a bit, and I want to use it up before it loses potency.

Unfortunately, 90% of what I'm finding on the internet is paella or some kind of rice dish. You'd think there'd be a lot more variety. :/

Well, it’s not like there’s only one kind of paella, either.

Hmm, there has to be some way to spice up grits with saffron.

—Patrick