Whats for Dinner?

If you ever want a spanish omelette (fried potato) but don't want to take the effort, just crush up a bunch of plain salted chips (like half a bag of Lays) and throw that in. Turns out fantastic.

I have also used crushed Saltine crackers. Ritz are better because of the extra buttery-ness.
You can replace saltines with Ritz in pretty much any recipe and improve it. Ritz are the God damned best cracker ever.

I've used Ritz in both hamburger meat and meatballs. Ritz are superior.

You can replace saltines with Ritz in pretty much any recipe and improve it. Ritz are the God damned best cracker ever.

I've used Ritz in both hamburger meat and meatballs. Ritz are superior.
Yeah, like I said, it's the extra fat and moisture. That goes a long way.

Theres this new restaurant that opened up in town thats this style called "Mongolian Hot Pot." Basically, they put a big pot of boiling broth in the middle of the table, and you order different meats,veggies, or noodles that you cook in it and eat. This might be something that is really common and popular, but I had never heard of it and its delicious.

Theres this new restaurant that opened up in town thats this style called "Mongolian Hot Pot." Basically, they put a big pot of boiling broth in the middle of the table, and you order different meats,veggies, or noodles that you cook in it and eat. This might be something that is really common and popular, but I had never heard of it and its delicious.
We have that at least one night every Lunar New Year. It's one of my favorite dishes when the weather is cold. The broth at the end is amazing.

I made more stew. It's basically a massive dose of vegetables, protein and starch in an easy to eat, completely delicious form. How come more people don't make stews all the time. Stew is delicious.

I made more stew. It's basically a massive dose of vegetables, protein and starch in an easy to eat, completely delicious form. How come more people don't make stews all the time. Stew is delicious.
Stews are awesome. If you can get it in your neck of the woods, lamb neck is a pretty cheap part of the animal, and amazing in a stew.

I don't trek to the actual butcher shop very often, but next time I do I will inquire. I normally just use stock grocery store stew beef (which can literally be any part of the beef leftover). I always try to pick the marbliest fatty packs of beef since that's usually a sign of being from the better parts of the cow. Hell, last time I bought a pack just as the meat department guy was putting them out into the meat section and he told me he had just cut up those pieces and they were from rib roasts. So good.

How come more people don't make stews all the time. Stew is delicious.
I don't get it either. Kati seems to think stews are only for Winter. No, stews are for when I'm hungry, especially for when I want to sleep well that evening.
I normally just use stock grocery store stew beef (which can literally be any part of the beef leftover). I always try to pick the marbliest fatty packs of beef since that's usually a sign of being from the better parts of the cow.
According to Serious Eats, it looks like you want chuck-eye roast as your main beef, with perhaps an oxtail or two to supplement (but not too many, as they increase the amount of labor required).

--Patrick

Made wings for the first time tonight. It went...okay

My big lesson learned is that I should use a bigger pot and more oil if i'm going to fry these sons of bitches. Also deep frying is terrifying but yields delicious results. I ended up baking them after frying about 4. Now the funny thing is though, since I was worried about how soggy they would be I set up half of them with drip catchers and half without 'cause I ran out of pans and the ones without the drip catchers ended up being a bit crispier anyway. Probably had more to do with the wings I was making hot had been coated as a preparation for frying than anything.

Still though, turns out lemon pepper wings are even better when I get to control how lemon peppery they are. The buffalo wings were ultimately disappointing. Too soggy and the sauce I whipped up wasn't really hot enough. It has a good after burn that I liked, but that was it. I might re-sauce the left overs tomorrow or something.

Made wings for the first time tonight. It went...okay

My big lesson learned is that I should use a bigger pot and more oil if i'm going to fry these sons of bitches. Also deep frying is terrifying but yields delicious results. I ended up baking them after frying about 4. Now the funny thing is though, since I was worried about how soggy they would be I set up half of them with drip catchers and half without 'cause I ran out of pans and the ones without the drip catchers ended up being a bit crispier anyway. Probably had more to do with the wings I was making hot had been coated as a preparation for frying than anything.

Still though, turns out lemon pepper wings are even better when I get to control how lemon peppery they are. The buffalo wings were ultimately disappointing. Too soggy and the sauce I whipped up wasn't really hot enough. It has a good after burn that I liked, but that was it. I might re-sauce the left overs tomorrow or something.
I've been putting off making wings for years now. I know it's the only way I'm going to get enjoyable wings (the places around here all suck), but I'm just not ready to commit to that level of frying.

As for myself, tonight I made a pork roulade from a pork center loin roast, which I butterflied out and stuffed/rolled with chopped pistachios, sauteed spinach, grated parmesan, a drizzle of olive oil, and "natural" green olives (which are like canned black olives, but not black). Then I wrapped the whole thing in bacon and roasted it off in a low oven before upping it to 350 to crisp up the bacon a little. This got served with a balsamic and honey mustard vinaigrette, sauteed asparagus, and pan fried potatoes.

It's been growing in popularity around here as well, most often named something like "Chinese fondue". And yes, it can be quite delicious.

When I was in my early 20's, a Vietnamese lady I worked with took me to a restaurant once, and told me she'd order for me. She spoke with the waiter in Vietnamese, and this is what arrived at the table. She proceeded to take charge and fill the pot with all the leaves, meat and stuff that she thought would be good. It was my first real experience with ethnic food that wasn't really Americanized, and I loved it.

I ate half a Costco chicken pot pie. Those things have no right to taste that good. Also, I feel so fat right now.

Incidentally, I like how even standard grocery stores are stocking more 'exotic' ingredients. Used to, if you wanted shiitakes you had to settle for rehydrated freeze dried versions (ie: tasteless shoe leather), go to an expensive upscale grocery store, or grow you own (which I've done--fresh mushrooms straight from the mycelium cake are so much stronger and more pungent than even fresh store bought ones)