What, no Pokemon Go thread?

Not *that* many Ghastly's around here (though quite a few). A lot of Cubones and Meowths, though. Got my first Persian and my firs Marowak.

Also, the bigest thing right now isn't really the extra/altered spawns. It's the double candy and especially the quadruple walking candy. And it's a holiday week in a lot of countries, so....yeah,they're going to be making tons upon tons of money off of incubators. Seriously - got 30 candy out of one egg O_O

My thingy is telling me that there are Ghastlies everywhere but I'm not seeing any.

I am waiting at my doctor and Pikachu is finding candy which is nice!

My thingy is telling me that there are Ghastlies everywhere but I'm not seeing any.

I am waiting at my doctor and Pikachu is finding candy which is nice!
If they're really obnoxiously hiding, fastpokemap.se is up and running again and fairly reliable. but, uh, you didn't hear this from me.

I was out today at the doctor and Christmas shopping. I've never caught so many Pokemon at a time as I did today!!

It's almost like they replaced Weedles and Pidgeys with Ghastlies and Meowths. I even caught a baby Gengar!

Today's catch:

11 Drowsee
14 Gastly
14 Cubone
1 Gengar
8 Meowth
5 Haunter
1 Slowpoke
1 Polliwag
3 Pidgey
1 Hypno
5 Zubat
1 Psyduck

For 64 total :)

Pikachu also found a ton of candy!

I wish the item system from the handheld Pokemon games had been implemented in Pokemon Go. I evolved myself a Marowak this morning, and my inability to give him a Thick Club to hold is causing considerable mental distress. Because Thick Club Marowak is awesome.

We live really close to two graveyards. I've always gotten more than my fair share of ghost types, and meowths. Evolved a Persian weeks ago. And a Gengar long ago.

But now? So many cubones!

Last edited:
The shortened walking distance required for buddy candies has got me switching buddies constantly. I feel like I'm in that meme image.

FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH ABRA
NOW MAGNEMITE IS MY BEST FRIEND

The best part of the walking candies is that I'm finally on my way to getting a Ninetales, my other favorite Pokemon after Pikachu. I'm hatched a Vulpix, and found one in the wild once, but that was months ago, and not a hint of another one since. Making Vulpix my walking buddy means I'm more than halfway there! (At 33 candies this morning.)

I'm really liking this event, since we used to get Cubones in this area during the initial release, but since the first update they disappeared. And Meowths were nearly impossible to find. Now I've got multiple Persians, Gengars, and Marowaks, but I'm not going to complain.

I hatched a Vulpix during the event and it gave me a ton of candy. Sadly I had to turn in my only other one to have the last candies I needed to evolve the Ninetsales.

My son was watching over my shoulder as I was doing all the evolutions and kept trying to grab my phone. Challenge mode!!

I finally took down the gym next to my house! It was a level 10 and the same guys have had it since July, but it's mine now! Suck it, teenagers! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

...Ok, someone from a different team just took it from me, but I took the originals out. I still call it a victory.

I finally took down the gym next to my house! It was a level 10 and the same guys have had it since July, but it's mine now! Suck it, teenagers! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

...Ok, someone from a different team just took it from me, but I took the originals out. I still call it a victory.
Since the change to training, all gyms around here have been stuck at level 10 with almost no changing in colors/teams. Did a Pokéwalk yesterday, saw 12 gyms, only one was at level 8. Lowest Pokemon in a gym I saw al lday was still 1800+. I did think training up was too hard before the change, but this is just boring in another way. It's pretty much impossible to take a gym like that down on your own, so if you're not in one or two of those, well, no more money for you! OTOH, get in one of those and you can reap free money every day. Ah well.

Tubby, aka Snorlax, has been helping hold a gym for about three weeks now.

Fluffy, Fluffy and Fluffy have taken the gyms around my doctor's office several times, but have never lasted a day.

Tubby is at a gym near the office of my friend who hates the game so much lol!!! I also caught my best Pikachu there :)

I wish the item system from the handheld Pokemon games had been implemented in Pokemon Go. I evolved myself a Marowak this morning, and my inability to give him a Thick Club to hold is causing considerable mental distress. Because Thick Club Marowak is awesome.
For @Squidleybits, in the handheld Pokemon games (ie, Pokemon X/Y, Black and White, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire etc), individual pokemon can hold items, which have various effects. Some of them are universal and work for every pokemon, eg, a Lum Berry held by any pokemon would instantly cure its status effect if it gets burned or paralyzed or poisoned in battle. Some other items only work for a subset of pokemon, or sometimes only for one of them. For example, the item Eviolite would boost the defensive stats of a pokemon if it's not fully evolved, the Soul Dew boosts the Special Attack and Special Defense of Latios and Latias, and Arceus has a collection of seventeen plates that changes its typing depending on which plate is being held.

For Marowak and Cubone, there's an item called the Thick Club. When equipped by other pokemon, the Thick Club does nothing. However, when Marowak or Cubone hold it, their Attack stat is doubled. This means that a Marowak with a Thick Club can hit REALLY hard in the handheld games. Admittedly, Marowak does have other problems, such as being quite slow, having relatively low defensive stats, and having limited options in its movepool. But when Marowak manages to land a hit on you, you'll definitely feel it. And I kinda miss being able to do that in Pokemon Go.

Since the change to training, all gyms around here have been stuck at level 10 with almost no changing in colors/teams. Did a Pokéwalk yesterday, saw 12 gyms, only one was at level 8. Lowest Pokemon in a gym I saw al lday was still 1800+. I did think training up was too hard before the change, but this is just boring in another way. It's pretty much impossible to take a gym like that down on your own, so if you're not in one or two of those, well, no more money for you! OTOH, get in one of those and you can reap free money every day. Ah well.
For some reason, this is the only gym in my area that hasn't been changing colors. Most other gyms around here change colors frequently, even if they're a level 10. These guys grew their Pokemon pretty quick and have been reaping the benefits for months. But since it was the gym next to my house, it was a matter of pride to take it down.

And it took a few months of planning, too. Even going in, my 2 highest level Pokemon 1885 (Water/Ice) and 1863 (Grass/Psychic) against 10 various (mostly) Water, Grass and/or Psychic types who weren't less than 1790. It took me saving up 62 Revives, 126 different potions and a lot of patience. It probably would have gone faster if I had an Electric type higher than 1070, but for some reason that's very hard to get around here. I literally sat down with a list of their gym order and planned out with Pokemon I was using against them. And I will probably never put in this much effort again. :)

And last, but certainly not least, for the Halloween update:
View attachment 22429
Success!
Thanks to the walking bonus I now have the candy for a Ninetails too. I'm now a bit torn - I want enough candy to evolve Pikachu, but I also have just a single Dratini and a single Kabuto - and you save a LOT more kilometers walking those around than the short distance ones...

Evolved my Magikarp tonight, now walking for a Blastoise. Used a lucky egg at home (no stops or pokemon around ever) to evolve every pidgey (and pidgeotto and still had candies leftover), weedle and kakuna, gastly (no on haunter), spearow, and a few other singles for the EXP bonus, then recycle them for the double candy bonus.

I have a really dumb question to ask. In Japanese, is the word for Pokemon also Pokemon? Was the name Pikachu new for the English version?

I have a really dumb question to ask. In Japanese, is the word for Pokemon also Pokemon? Was the name Pikachu new for the English version?
Straight from Wikipedia's (en):

Pokemon
The name Pokémon is the romanized contraction of the Japanese brand Pocket Monsters (ポケットモンスター Poketto Monsutā?).
Pikachu
Pikachu (Japanese: ピカチュウ Hepburn: Pikachū?)
Clickthrough 'Hepburn' for an interesting read on how Japanese names get romanized.

I believe the Japanese name for Pokemon actually translates to "Pocket Monsters". It was changed in English because it was too close to the name of a pre-existing franchise called "Monster in my Pocket". Don't know if the actual Pokemon themselves have different names in Japanese & English.

Don't know if the actual Pokemon themselves have different names in Japanese & English.
Some of them do, some of them don't. Actually, most of them have different names. I remember when G/S/C was released, the Japanese names of the legendary gerbils (Raikou, Entei, and Suicune) were revealed before their English names were announced. It was actually a surprise to me when they kept the same names in the English versions of the games.

Likewise, many other languages have different names for Pokemon. It's confusing talking to the French-speaking population around here because hardly any Pokemon have the same name.
Admittedly, some of the French names are better than the English ones.

Like the English names, some are just puns/plays on words. Others just sound cool. Psykokwak and Akwakwak are objectively more fun to say than Psyduck and Golduck.
Also, Tortank (Tortue [Tortoise] -Tank) for Blastoise.