What book are you currently reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
Good omens is excellent. Nice choice.
I agree.

On another note, I finished the Halforum podcast #5 a couple days ago (yeah, I'm behind), and I'm thinking of reading something by Neal Stephenson to spite the ignorance displayed in said pocast. Good grief, how can you consider yourself a geek if you haven't even heard of "Snow Crash"? It's one of the novels that helped define the Cyberpunk genre. That said, I personally think "Interface" is even better, though less well-known, and I find it to be more thought-provoking. "Zodiac: An Eco-Thriller" is probably my second favorite Neal Stephenson novel, and it's a shame it got such a blah mention on the podcast.

A

Andromache

I am about to throw the Fellowship of the Ring out the window. Page 62 and they still haven't left the Shire. Long fantasy story I get, but dammit man don't have the pacing of geological strata!

I am about to throw the Fellowship of the Ring out the window. Page 62 and they still haven't left the Shire. Long fantasy story I get, but dammit man don't have the pacing of geological strata!
For me the LOTR books are possibly the worst that Tolkien published. The story is interesting 'n all, but the delivery was midly annoying and tiring. I'd rather read the Silmarillion any day ~_~

fade

Staff member
Chekhov, The Essential Plays ( as seen in my son's hands in the recent video I posted ).

It doesn't get any better, by the way. The dialogue-heavy Council scene is nice, but if you think it's plodding now, wait until you get to The Two Towers, as Sam and Frodo trudge through the swamp... and that's it.

In the introduction, Tolken says the books are too short...

A Survey of the Old Testament
Encountering the Old Testament
An Introduction to the Old Testament
From Paradise to the Promised Land: An Introduction to the Pentateuch
The Pentateuch and You: How to date the Moses way!

Okay, one of those isn't real...

S

Silvanesti

For me the LOTR books are possibly the worst that Tolkien published. The story is interesting 'n all, but the delivery was midly annoying and tiring. I'd rather read the Silmarillion any day ~_~
Ah... you're one of those people.

just finishing up bearing an hourglass ~ piers anthony. incredibly easy, but i've always liked piers stuff because its just quick and fun.

next up is snow crash, been meaning to read it for a while and finally got it off the stacks.

A Survey of the Old Testament
Encountering the Old Testament
An Introduction to the Old Testament
From Paradise to the Promised Land: An Introduction to the Pentateuch
The Pentateuch and You: How to date the Moses way!

Okay, one of those isn't real...
I'm afraid the one that sounds least real is probably real. Call me a snob, but I am so over pop 'theology.'

I decided on Dead Until Dark first, then I will read Hyperspace.

It is good so far, I am looking forward to seeing how it differs from the TV show.

I just finished up The Satan Factory (Lobster Johnson) and will be moving on tooooooooo...let's see *grabs a books at random from the pile*

Hood by Stephen Lawhead

I am reading The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Then, probably peruse this Newsweek magazine...

Then either Surrogates because I'm curious now that I've heard about the movie, or Crime & Punishment.

I just finished rereading Ender's Game and have started Five Patients (an older nonfiction book by Michael Crichton).

T

ThatNickGuy

Currently reading Darwyn Cooke's graphic novel adaptaion of Parker: The Hunter (original novel by Richard Stark).

It's total crime noir and I'm loving it. The art style shares a LOT with Will Eisner.

The Phoenix Endangered by Mercedes Lackey & James Mallory

next on the list is

Variable Star by Robert A. Heinlein/Spider Robinson

O

Oddbot

Just finished Old Man's War by John Scalzi. A quick and entertaining read, but damn does that guy just write ATROCIOUS dialogue.

But I liked it enough to start reading the second book in the series The Ghost Brigades which thankfully is better than the previous book in about every way. About halfway done so far and really digging it.

O

Olorin

The Return of the King (for the 6th or 7th time)
I'm on the last few chapters, but I'm not yet sure what I'll read next. Maybe the Silmarillion again, or the Chronicles of Narnia, or a Recluce book...

I enjoyed the Recluce saga but I think that it went for a few too many books. I'm not sure how many have been released since I stopped reading the series, but i'm pretty sure that there are one or two that I haven't touched.

I don't know how someone can complain about the delivery in LOTR and then go on to say that the Silmarillion is better. I like the Silmarillion for the content and how expands on the world, but it reads like the freaking bible.

R

redapples

The Sirens of Titan, I read this when I was about 15 but find I remember almost none of it. I've just finished The Border Trilogy (All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing and Cities of the Plains) so find I need something a bit more uplifting.

Probably move onto Flags of Our Fathers next then Pandaemonium - the new Christopher Brookmyre to get reuplifted.

Dracula... i have like 10 pages left but can't get myself to read then while comfortable at home... stupid PC addiction.

Currently reading Darwyn Cooke's graphic novel adaptaion of Parker: The Hunter (original novel by Richard Stark).

It's total crime noir and I'm loving it. The art style shares a LOT with Will Eisner.
If you like that you should grab Cooke's on the Spirit. It was fantastic!

W

Wyrminarrd

Just started reading "The Witling" by Vernor Vinge.

Next book will probably be either "In the realm of the wolf" by David Gemmel or "Fate of the Fallen" by Ian Irvine.

T

ThatNickGuy

If you like that you should grab Cooke's on the Spirit. It was fantastic!
Own the first softcover volume. Been waiting ages for the second volume to come out in softcover. Love it. And Selina's Big Score. Trust me, I'm a big Cooke fan. Gotta support my fellow Canuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.