What book are you currently reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so pretty simple. What book are you currently reading? If more than one then post them all, if you know what book your reading next post that too.

I bought the first 7 books of the Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire Mysteries/True Blood books today and Michio Kaku's Hyperspace today... so I am trying to decide between Dead Until Dark or Hyspace to read first. You guys tell me what to read. Once I finish those 8 books I am going to go pick up Asimov's Foundation series.

Gotrek&Felix: First Omnibus (read them all when I was younger in spanish, rereading them in english now :3) / Complete Poetry: Antonio Machado (squee) / Technical Writer's Companion

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm re-reading "Brightness Reef", the first book in David Brin's second Uplift trilogy. Absolutely fantastic series, and I'm especially fond of the blend of ancient galactic level tech and pseudo-steampunk level stuff. I'll finish off the trilogy when I'm done, "Infinity's Shore" and "Heaven's Reach". I'm kind of surprised that I have very little recollection of what happens. Oh well, I'm having a great time being alternately surprised an suddenly reminded.

Next after that I think I'll re-read "Changer" by Jane Lindskold, if I still have it. If not I might re-read "The Practice Effect" by David Brin.

M

Mr. Lawface

Medieval history books for school. I got no time to read for pleasure nowadays.

Recently I've been re-reading Superfolk. Before that I skimmed through parts of the zombie survival guide again, and before that I read The Road.

Now that School has started I'll mostly be reading texts for that, but I'm taking some interesting classes this semester so it won't be bad at all.

L

Lally

I haven't started yet but I was recommended the Amber series and got it from my boyfriend's cousin, so I'm supposed to start reading it.

T

ThatNickGuy

Been thinking about reading several books thanks to the movie, myself. City of Ember, Golden Compass, Inkheart, etc. One of the days, I will. Maybe once school is done.

Recently, I just finished reading Ecotopia, which is fantastic. It's a sci-fi book written in the style of a travel diary. Basically a portion of California has secceeded away from the US and trying to live an ecologically sound life. It's really interesting, some of the things that they do, such as create mini-cities, less residential areas and more people living in apartment buildlings, removing all cars from the city and making way for trains or just bicycles, etc. The book was written in the mid-70s, but a lot of the technologies and ideas are ones that are cropping up more and more in sustainability discussions.

Great read for anyone that's interested in this stuff, like I am.

Just got done with The Graveyard Book (It won this year's Newberry) and before that it was Boomsday. I'm not sure what to get next.

T

Tiq

I've actually been struggling to find something new to read, lately. Managed to solve the problem, by getting myself wrapped up in a crapload of comic books, but I keep visiting the book shop nearby, every chance I get, just to see if something catches my eye.

C

Catafish

Just finished reading Frankenstein, and trying to decide if I should read the Sherlock Holmes collection or The Three Musketeers next.

P

Philosopher B.

I just got done reading several: Winter in Eden by Harry Harrison, which is the second book in a trilogy and which rawked on account of its awesome inventiveness, so I'm-a pursue the next book there, and Mike and Psmith by the inimitable P.G. Wodehouse, which also rawked and makes me want to read the next Psmith book.

Not gonna lie, I'm nerding out to the Harry Potter series. I'm on the 4th book now and you know what? People say the books get more mature and darker and such as they go on. All I see is instead of the books having a brisk pace and keeping the story going, I get 200 extra pages of what exactly the Hogwarts students are eating for their meals or exactly how they are doing with their schoolwork.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

I have seen Blade Runner before but this is my first time reading the book. It's different but also very good.

C

Catafish

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

I have seen Blade Runner before but this is my first time reading the book. It's different but also very good.
I love that book so much! Not a huge fan of the movie though, I watched it after reading the book and just thought it was boring

P

Philosopher B.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. I also just finished The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson, on account of I'm trying to bone up on fantasy. It was pretty good, I suppose. Not bad for a fish-out-of-water story of a dude trapped in a dragon's body.

Reading; Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table to my baby, Anne of Green Gables to my daughter and Doctor Zhivago to myself.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Pleasures of Exile by George Lamming
The Tempest by William Shakespeare
Indigo by Marina Warner

Yeah... got no time for entertaining books, only my Thesis books. I couldn't get it done in time :(

Either/Or by Soren Kierkegaard. It's slow going. I tried and gave up two years ago. I've since read other things, trying to ramp up to the inevitable difficulty that Either/Or will bring me. I'm already farther than I was when I tried last time, but it's very dry, and oftentimes hard to follow.

Alongside that is a book of poetry by Emily Dickinson. I have been told that it's a rite of passage for every young intellectual to fall in love with Emily Dickinson, so I've been carrying around the volume I pilfered from my grandmother's library when she died, reading it here and there.

And in between all that, I intend to start reading The Food of the Gods by H.G. Wells sometime this week. I didn't like The War of the Worlds when I first read it, but I loved The First Men in the Moon, so I have high hopes that my dislike of The War of the Worlds was born more of a mood than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.