"What are you reading?" thread.

Re-read Ender's Game and read Speaker for the Dead. I had a totally different point of view on Ender 20ish years after the first read. Card did a great job on this series.

Onward to Xenocide...
I have had Ender's game for years and haven't even put a dent in it. Course the same can be said about a bunch of other books I own.

Almost done Rot & Ruin by Jonathon Maberry. Didn't even realize it until I started reading, but I've actually read a good chunk of this before. Excerpts from it were published as a standalone short story in The New Dead, one of the zombie short story anthologies I have. It was actually one of the best ones in that anthology (Like 90% of the short stories in those anthologies are utter crap. but the other 10% is usually very solid). Anyway, story's good. It's written a bit simplistic... it's definitely meant for people like 10 years younger than me, but whatever. I'm going to continue reading this series, I think, after a break.

Next up is book one of John Carter. A friend suggested it to me, and even though I'm not nearly the lover of old pulp science fiction he is, I promised him I'd give it a shot. I mean it's like 200 pages and $4, so I might as well.

The Langoliers: When I watched the Nostalgia Critic's review of the crappy made for TV, I had a feeling there was a good story lost in that padded, slow pile of crap. I'm a bit into the novella now and I feel I was right. Events that take two minutes in a movie take much more here because of what's going on with the characters and it gives the whole thing a different feel. And I can see a lot of stuff that was internal here had to be made into dialogue for the movie, none of which sounded good.

In other words, it's the usual Stephen King book to movie translation conundrum.

Been a while since I posted about any of the books I've been reading.
John Carter part one was good fun, and I'm actualy interested in seeing that movie now. Surprisingly.
Patient Zero was a good one. Definitely want to continue with this series (already read The King of Plagues, part three in this series, but I haven't read parts 2 or 4 yet)
A Game of Thrones was even better on my second read, and I'll probably re-read Clash of Kings soon, go through the whole series again in 2013. At least get through a second read of Storm of Swords before season 3 of the show starts. I'm picking up on stuff I managed to not get the first time around, and a friend of mine has pointed out some things about the Danaerys chapters in Dance With Dragons specifically, that make me want to re-read the rest of the series and see what I missed.

Right now I am a little over halfway through Unholy Night, by Seth Grahame Smith. Basically, it's Biblical fanfiction. In it, the three Wise Men are actually a trio of escaped criminals, led by the infamous "Antioch Ghost", who stumble upon Mary, Joseph and Jesus in the manger by chance as they seek refuge as wanted men, and are then basically given no real choice but to escape to Egypt with them.

Next week, I'm going to re-read The Hobbit.... again. I don't even know how many times I've read that book. This will be my second re-read of the Hobbit this year.

They're school related books, but they are novels and they're good. I'm currently reading:

Heaven's Coast by Mark Doty - A story about the loss of a partner from AIDS
Soft Spots by Clint Van Winkle - A memoir of a marine suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Narrating the Closet by Tony E Adams - Collection of coming out stories.

figmentPez

Staff member
Recently finished:
After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn - thanks to everyone for gifting this one to me. I enjoyed it a lot. A slightly realistic look at superheroes, but without going as dark as something like Watchmen. I really enjoyed the story.

The first five books of the Wheel of Time series. I've read all of those before, but I'm restarting the series because it's been so long since I last read it, and now it's been finished (I think).

Currently reading:
Thirteen Orphans by Jane Lindskold - I love her writing style so much. I can't believe I went so long without checking for new stuff from her. Anyway, it's a pretty good urban fantasy novel about the descendants of exiles from a magical land. So far I find it highly intriguing, and I'm glad there are more books in the series to follow up with.

Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan - the sixth Wheel of Time book. I'm kinda slow getting through this one because I'm allergic to something coating my used copy. So I only end up reading on days I've had to take a zyrtec anyway, I'm not about to pop a pill just for a book. I really need to consider getting an eReader just so I have fewer worries about allergies when reading.

Patient Zero was a good one. Definitely want to continue with this series (already read The King of Plagues, part three in this series, but I haven't read parts 2 or 4 yet)
I really liked that book, too. I had no idea it was a series though! Now I know what I'm going to read during Christmas break. Thanks. :)

Recently finished:
After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn - thanks to everyone for gifting this one to me. I enjoyed it a lot. A slightly realistic look at superheroes, but without going as dark as something like Watchmen. I really enjoyed the story.
I kinda hope we get something else in the same universe. There's a lot of potential in those characters to only see them in a one shot.

Apparently there are even more coming out over the next three years. From Wikipedia:
Joe Ledger Series

• Patient Zero (March 2009)
  • The Dragon Factory (March 2010)
  • The King of Plagues (March 2011)
  • Assassin's Code (April 2012)
  • The Extinction Machine (2013)
  • Code Zero (2014)
  • untitled 7th book (2015)

I wanted to start reading book 12 of the wheel of time but for some reason it is temporarily unavailable (under review) in my region on kindle.

So instead I picked up Redshirts by John Scalzi

I wanted to start reading book 12 of the wheel of time but for some reason it is temporarily unavailable (under review) in my region on kindle.

So instead I picked up Redshirts by John Scalzi
Probably a translation thing, ya know, mis-translating the word "color" for "colour."

Yes, I'm trying to be funny. No, don't look at me that way. Fuck you! It was funny!

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality to the little woman. It's really good. If you haven't read it (which is understandable because it's just an alternate-universe fanfic, and it isn't even finished yet), I really do recommend it as a good read. I haven't read a fanfic this good since "The Saotome Gambit," which was a Ranma 1/2 - Battletech crossover.

Whilst visiting my parents I picked up a book they had sitting out on a table, because it looked like it was going to be one of those tails about a hardscrabble life growing up in the rural US and going on to be a farmer's wife (the title was "The Iowa Farmer's Wife"). Turns out it was a murder mystery written by an Iowa farmer, but I needed a break from the fantasy epic I was reading, and I've been known to enjoy a mystery now and again, so I decided to give it a shot. Couldn't even make it through the second paragraph of the prologue. The writer should be banned from ever putting thoughts into print again, the editor should be shot, and the publishing house should be sued for releasing that drivel. There was missing punctuation all over the place, dangling participles everywhere, and the similes used were just horrific. To top it off, the writer (I refuse to refer to that man as an author) couldn't seem to figure out what era he wanted to set the book in, so it had this strange mish-mosh of 21st century technology and 19th century ideals, usually while talking about 20th century pop-culture icons. Sadly, the same writer has two additional books. I can only hope that he's found a new editor.

Just finished the entire Preacher series. DAMN it was good. Also, I am pretty sure that Gunslinger Spawn ripped off the Saint of Killers origin story.

figmentPez

Staff member
Started reading "Magic for Beginners" by Kelly Link, I got it as part of the Humble eBook Bundle. It's a collection of some pretty strange short stories, and so far I'm really enjoying it. It's quirky, and different, and a lot is left ambiguous about exactly what's going on in the two stories I've read so far. I like that, it's about ideas, and evoking emotion, and showing the characters more than the world. This makes me really hopeful for the rest of the bundle.

Oh, and I've been reading it on my new smartphone, which is working out pretty well. I still may try to see if my mom's Kindle is going unused and if she still wants to give me that.

Started reading Alan Moore's run of Swamp Thing. Interesting change in what Swamp Thing is. I was surprised.
I remember reading the first volume of that in Elementary school, great read. I loved how useless the Justice league was in taking out Floronic man, and just talked about what to do the whole time rather than actually help. Total United Nations metaphor and I LOVED it.

The Stuff of Legend

My store had the omnibus on sale, which collects the first two volumes. And I love this series so much. The concept alone is worth the price admission:

It's like Toy Story meets Lord of the Rings. The Boogeyman kidnaps a little boy, dragging him into the darkness of the closet, where all the forgotten toys have disappeared. The toys decide to enter the mysterious, dark world to rescue the boy.

If you're buying this book for any reason, it's for the art. It's all coloured in this sepia-like tone, which puts across the perfect mood for this adventure. Couple that with some surprisingly great characters and a fantasy-like adventure and you've got a great comic. The characters are really interesting. When they enter this different world, they change from toys into kind of realistic or fantastical versions of themselves. The teddy bear, Max, becomes a full-sized bear with a tie. The jester-in-a-box (leaving his box behind in the boy's room) becomes this crazy ninja. It's some really brilliant stuff.

So yeah, BIG recommendation for this from your friendly neighbourhood comic guru. Definitely check it out.

I just finished Soon I Will Be Invincible by acclaimed video game writer Austin Grossman. My one and only complaint is that there isn't more of this book to read, it was amazing.

I highly recommend it. It's a novel set in a world where super heroes and super villains have become common occurances, and follows the doings of Dr Impossible (a man with Malign Hypercognative Disorder, aka Evil Genius Disease) after the disappearance of his rival, the hero CoreFire.

It's got sort of a Dr Horrible vibe to it, if Dr Horrible were actually a genius villain.

Soon I Will Be Invincible is one of those stories where, at the end, your going to be routing for the villain to win just because of the sheer amount of shit he's had to put up with. Dr. Impossible manages to be both sympathetic and menacing the entire story and when he's recounting the reasons why he needs to do this, you really can't help but feel for the guy... even if he's a deranged psychopath.

Honestly, Corefire had this beating coming, if only because he's the only reason Dr. Impossible broke out again.

I have no idea how to take that. What did I give away?
There's more to spoiling a story than giving away its events. RavenPoe's was giving an idea, but you jumped right to "here's the deal with the ending and how you're gonna feel about it" type of discussion. And that's before the spoiler tag; can't imagine what's under there.

But in terms of events, there have been a number of times, largely in the video games section, where my reaction to stuff you'd post would be either "if I hadn't already finished that, I'd be pissed" or "I really wish I hadn't read that". Someone mentions they're playing a game and you're suddenly discussing its final hours. I'm not saying you're doing it on purpose; I think that's just how you like to talk about stuff, digging out the details right off the bat. I'm bringing it up because I don't think you're aware of it. Maybe spoilers aren't as big a deal to you as they are to people like me, or you don't see giving away character development/atmosphere the same as plot (although that has happened too), but it just would seem to make sense to me that discussing the ending outside tags isn't fair the instant someone brings up a work of fiction, even if it's so insignificant as a video game or a comic booky-novel.

None of this is meant to come off as antagonistic and I can't control tone of text. In fact, what provoked it coming up was that you used spoiler tags, showing me that you saw some differentiation in it that I wasn't seeing.

I guess there's just a difference in what I consider a spoiler and what you do. To me, specifics are what spoils a story, not details on the tropes involved or it's tone. I guess that comes from years of writing reviews, where I kinda had to break things down enough that someone who wasn't familiar with the work would understand what I was talking about. This case was probably especially bad, as the book has been mentioned MANY times here on the forum so I figured I had more leeway.

And don't worry, I was just kinda confused about what your meaning was. I could tell you weren't being angry about it. I'll see if I can be a bit better about it.

Shannow

Staff member
Went through and caught up on Locke & Key last week, downloaded everything through current since I had not read it since the 2nd mini.

Slammed through the latest Dresden Files book, and loved it like I have the rest. Now going through Justin Cronin's The Twelve, his sequel to The Passage, about the vampire apocalypse, and it is awesome.

Cant wait for the finale to Wheel of Time next month.

And yes, Soon I will be Invincible is fantastic. I am pretty sure it has been recommended in this thread many times over the last couple years.

Finished "The American Way" a comic based during the 1960s where the White House bioengineers super-heroes. The thing is, most of the the fights with their super-villains are fixed. A good tale of political drama mixed with super-hero action.