What are you playing?

I actually kind of hated the first couple of hours.

Now that I'm in
Skyhold and shit is really starting to happen, I'm really enjoying myself. I also like the dialogue system. I was going to play my usual "be a complete badass ubersithlordrenegade run that I usually do in these types of games, but I found that I could be a bit more nuanced in my choices and It's a real improvement over the last installment's options. Being both a Qunari and a mage kind of helps.

Although the game gets better once you ditch the Hinterlands, I feel like after 30 hours we're still waiting for the story's momentum to kick in. Then again, my wife is only past the first major choice, so it might still get better.

I love being a dwarf, because I'm always like "GOD DAMNIT I'M NOT THE HERALD OF ANDRASTE, I DON'T EVEN BELIEVE IN THE GODDAMNED MAKER!"

I don't know what the hell happened but my DA:I PC performance has plummeted. I can't get past 30FPS in areas I was doing at least 40+.

There is an FPS cap in the PC version for some stupid reason. Try adding -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+ to your command line.

There is an FPS cap in the PC version for some stupid reason. Try adding -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+ to your command line.
“The human eye can’t see more than 24 frames per second.”
-Bullshit console developers

it's not that. That would be a nice problem to have though. I fixed my fps problem through Nvidia inspector. Of course now I'm back to hard crashing one or twice in hour requiring a restart. Love the game but it's horribly optimized.

The ingame cutscenes are all capped at 30 for some reason.
That I can handle, but what im running into is crashing. Sometimes it happens when I'm loading into a new area--sometimes it happens if Im going into my inventory. Now that I think about it, it seems to only happen when the screen "changes". It's never happened during battle, or running around the field. Hrm. Almost makes me want to be a console peasant.

I think the best way to play is to make the big decision of which side to go with as early as possible so you get to Skyhold, theeeen dick around endlessly.

I think the best way to play is to make the big decision of which side to go with as early as possible so you get to Skyhold, theeeen dick around endlessly.
Agreed; and probably would've been how I played since I like to pace out plot and side quests.

As it is, my wife is now at 40 hours and has probably dicked around for 30 or more of them.

That I can handle, but what im running into is crashing. Sometimes it happens when I'm loading into a new area--sometimes it happens if Im going into my inventory. Now that I think about it, it seems to only happen when the screen "changes". It's never happened during battle, or running around the field. Hrm. Almost makes me want to be a console peasant.
Whelp, guess I'm not getting DA:I then.

Whelp, guess I'm not getting DA:I then.
Er...despite what I said, I still LOVE the game. I'm actually kind of laying the blame on Nvidia for this one. They need to get their shit together and release better drivers. AMD users are having a ball.

AMD had REALLY BAD crash issues when DA:I came out because they released a new driver the day before and it did not play nice. I had to do random stupid crap to work around it.

Holy shit, Varric and Cassandra are hilarious.

After Cassandra gets done trying to beat up Varric for reasonable reasons, Inquisitor catches her reading one of the erotic romance novels Varric has written. And it gets funnier from there.

For any other failings Bioware has, they're great with their characters.

Alien: Isolation.

I love the movies (particularly the feel of the first one) and it feels to Alien what the latest Ghostbusters video game did to the movies: a love letter to the fans and a faithful adaptation. Granted, I'm only about 3 hours in but I'm loving the atmosphere and the tension.

Also, this is my first "real" PC game in 20 years, and I'm able to run it on Ultra. It's puuuuurty. Would have no desire for a PS4 if Bloodborne wasn't console-exclusive.

Haven't played DA:I in like a week. Mind you I did most of the Hinterlands and am contemplating going to see the templars, mages or the sword coast.

One night decided to pop open ROTK 11 for a quick looksie....

...5 days later I'm conquering half of China with puny Wang Lang.

I am totally, ridiculously addicted to Hay Day. Not financially, though. It's the only f2p game I've ever found that is actually designed around a terrific user experience and not just how to squeeze money out of the chumps. Also it's on the iPad unlike Elder Scrolls Online, WildStar, WoW, or anything else I'd really rather be playing if I physically could right now.

Oh, and I'd be digging Hearthstone even if I weren't maritally required to.

Can't progress in DA because I found an amazing bug at the end of Templar section which hampers my ability to kill things. Fantastic.

I have a friend whose immense enthusiasm for everything Dragon Age turned out to be infectious. It gave me the itch to start again with Origins. Since my copy was long since traded away, I had to track it down anew. Wound up finding the Ultimate Edition and now I'm back at it. First Origins, then Awakening, then 2 (which I have never played) and then I'll give Inquisition a spin.

This has significantly extended my PS3's life-span, I'll tell you what. :thumbsup:

DA:I has been patched today. Hoping it cleans some shit up.

http://www.gamerassaultweekly.com/2014/12/dragon-age-inquisition-patch-notes/

Patch 2 is focused on stability, but does include numerous improvements and fixes across the board. Full patch notes will be available soon, but generally Patch 2 includes fixes to:
  • Stability – Various crashes, freezes, audio/voice glitches, and many stability improvements.
  • Gameplay – Conversations, quests, plot states, combat, UI, camera, controls, follower/enemy AI and path finding, exploits, radar, and search.
  • Multiplayer – In addition to some of the gameplay improvements listed above, multiplayer fixes also cover areas such as animations, game mode bugs, stat reporting, and stability/crash fixes.
  • PC – Numerous control & UI fixes, fixes to some hitching, improved Mantle performance, graphical glitches.
Beyond Patch 2 we’ll continue to release patches that focus on gameplay improvements. We’ve already lined up a number of improvements and fixes we’d like to include in Patch 3, and of course we’ll continue listening to you to make sure we’re addressing your concerns.
I wanted to call out a few specific topics as well, as they relate to patches:
  • Keyboard & Mouse controls – Patch 2 includes the first range of fixes towards addressing the feedback we’ve received on the PC controls; it cleans things up so you’ll see fewer problems with the current layout. This gives us a more stable base upon which to work. After Patch 2 goes out, our next priority is to improve the PC mouse/keyboard controls further. We’re investigating how to expand on PC usability and functionality to address specific requests from the community. Keep an eye on this thread by Mark Darrah for more updates.
  • Some people have reported problems with party banter firing. To find out more about how the Banter System works please go here. We have also identified that in some edge scenarios, banter isn’t firing as often as we’d like, so we’ll be increasing the percentage chance of it happening. This increase will come after Patch 2.

What the hell did they do to the mesh setting? I was cruising pretty well until this patch hit and I'm wondering "where did 15FPS go?"

Turns out the Mesh setting became even MORE graphically demanding. I can run pretty much everything else on high and textures/effects at ultra, but not mesh.

Dreamfall Chapters: Reborn

After replaying The Longest Journey and Dreamfall with my girlfriend, we've started on the crowdfunded sequel. Haven't gotten too far, but it looks great and has some cool things going on already.

Storytime!Zoe has superpowers and is running around between people's dreams saving them? Sweet.
Finished the first (and thus far, only) episode, it was good. Very much an introductory episode to the new status quo and worldbuilding, but I'll take it if they build off it in the coming episodes. They also haven't just share the episodic format from Telltale's recent adventure games, there's also the dialog choices that "X will remember this" as well as other choices you can make that have effects on the game (or they will, it's too early for most of them to pay off so far).