What are you playing?

I find Sony Smash Bros to be incredibly dull. The fact that you can only score points with super moves makes every bit of fighting in between charging up the super moves incredibly pointless.

It's a lame Super Smash Brothers wannabe in its nuts and bolts, and even more so in its design. It's not Sony's fault that they lack the roster of iconic and memorable characters that Nintendo has, but it is their fault for trying to make that kind of game without much in the way of faces to put on it.

Sony has a pretty fantastic lineup of first party and second party games. None of which lend themselves to a Smash Bros game.

I am playing Dragonborn, the Skyrim DLC. It's pretty good stuff, I don't remember Solthsheim being so ashlandy but they have an excuse with Red Mountain constantly dumping ash everywhere. Neloth is the best character Bethesda might have ever made. He's still bland as fuck, but his arrogance is fantastic. Bethesda seriously needs to look into hiring people who can fucking write anything other than the world's most boring NPCs.
Yeah, it's full of Dunmer because the Red Mountain erupted sometime after the end of Oblivion. Apparently Dagoth Ur was keeping a lid on the volcano and nobody knew about it... so when it blew, the Dunmer ether fled to Solthsheim or Winterhold.

Yeah, it's full of Dunmer because the Red Mountain erupted sometime after the end of Oblivion. Apparently Dagoth Ur was keeping a lid on the volcano and nobody knew about it... so when it blew, the Dunmer ether fled to Solthsheim or Winterhold.
Or worse, like nigh genocided by the Argonians, hung out to dry by the empire during the Oblivion crisis, etc.

The Dunmer got it bad.

Currently playing:

Castlevania 2 on NES.
Pokemon Heart Gold on NDS.
World of Warcraft
The Secret World
The Walking Dead: Episode 2
Dead Space: Extraction

Yep.... all at the same time.... I get like no playtime during the day either... it's going to be a long run.

Impire is on my list of games to watch for now. I miss dungeon keeper.
I picked up Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Keeper 2 in one of the GOG.com sales. They... don't really port well to a widescreen 1440 x 900 monitor with a decent graphics card and a quad core CPU. They seem to like to scroll way the hell off to the side of the screen if you so much as think about moving the mouse to one of the edges. I'd consider running them under MoSlo, but maybe I'll just check out Impire instead.

GasBandit

Staff member
I picked up Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Keeper 2 in one of the GOG.com sales. They... don't really port well to a widescreen 1440 x 900 monitor with a decent graphics card and a quad core CPU. They seem to like to scroll way the hell off to the side of the screen if you so much as think about moving the mouse to one of the edges. I'd consider running them under MoSlo, but maybe I'll just check out Impire instead.
Yeah, I still have my original disks for both games, and found what you said to be the case :/

I periodically salve my longing ache with some Evil Genius. If only there were more than TWO LEVELS.

I actually played through all of DK2 again the other day and the mouse thing didn't really bother me, as long as I didn't let go of my mouse in the wrong area.

Necronic

Staff member
Been playing Path of Exile. F2P D2 clone. Not even fair to call it a D2 clone really, the skill/levelling system is so much better than D2, and the itemization/crafting in the game is pretty fantastic

Yeah, PoE is a lot of fun. It's hard to build a character exactly how I want, though, as it relies on finding the right skill gems. My Templar basically turned into a Warrior because I never found any good spell gems, but had tons of hard-hitting red ones.

Yeah, I still have my original disks for both games, and found what you said to be the case :/

I periodically salve my longing ache with some Evil Genius. If only there were more than TWO LEVELS.
What? Really? Evil Genius is one of those games I always wanted to pick up specifically because it has the Dungeon Keeper type of play. Is it still worth picking up?

Yeah, I've been banging my head against a wall trying to get a decent Marauder build going. My first one fizzled out in Act 1 Cruel. It had plenty of damage, but too little survivability/health, and just couldn't take the harder hitting, higher amount of damage dealing mobs in Act 1. My second fizzled mid-Act 3 Normal. It had plenty of survivability, but too little damage potential, and just ended up being one long, drawn out death after another. I just had a third fizzle at the beginning of Act 3 Normal because, while I thought I was doing a better job of blending surv and dmg, what I was really doing was running something that didn't have enough of either; so the snake variants in Act 3 were just chewing it up and spitting it out. But I'll say this... I'm having a lot more fun trying to balance a Marauder than I probably should be.

GasBandit

Staff member
What? Really? Evil Genius is one of those games I always wanted to pick up specifically because it has the Dungeon Keeper type of play. Is it still worth picking up?
Yes, but you will need the community patch too to fix some issues that the developer never addressed. After that... it's basically Dungeon Keeper meets James Bond.

Also it has one of the best soundtracks EVER.

I've never taken so long to spend skill points as I do in PoE, that's for sure.
I think part of my problem is that I'm trying to plan out good builds using the skill tree tool on their website; but that doesn't really help when you don't really know what kind of weapon or gem drops you're going to get as you actually play through. My next Marauder will probably be more "organic" when it comes to spending points.

Yeah, I still have my original disks for [DK/DK2], and found what you said to be the case :/
I keep an older computer around for just such an emergency. Win98SE, SBLive! and all.
Fired up Thief 3.
Froze after the tutorial level.
Ion Storm and Eidos, I am disappoint.
As I recall, the freezing was rather common. The reviewers talked about the bugs and the annoying linearity quite a lot.

My current complement is as follows (in order by hours played):
-Wizard 101
-Path of Exile (Duelist)
-Kingdom Rush (iOS)
-Diablo 3

--Patrick

I stopped playing after a bit involving white phosphorus. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there. Never has a shooter done so much to stand out from the horrendous shitty glut of samey military shooters in a way that makes me not want to play it. This is not a condemnation. It is a damn decent game.

I stopped playing after a bit involving white phosphorus. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there. Never has a shooter done so much to stand out from the horrendous shitty glut of samey military shooters in a way that makes me not want to play it. This is not a condemnation. It is a damn decent game.
I alt+f4 the game after that W.P. scene. Nope,im going to bed.
It is a very engrossing story though,best played in easy to digest pieces.

I've read the reviews of it, and I know that the story gets really heavy and emotionally draining, so that's why I'm waiting on it.

I'm finally getting back into Fallout: New Vegas. I kept picking it up after we bought the ultimate edition and then not feeling like playing it because "I could be playing Skyrim." But now I need a break from Skyrim and I've forgotten enough of all the stuff my wife did when she was unemployed that the game feels fresh. Plus there are the DLC missions, though I'm not sure at what point in the game I should be doing any of them (level or storywise).

I'm finally getting back into Fallout: New Vegas. I kept picking it up after we bought the ultimate edition and then not feeling like playing it because "I could be playing Skyrim." But now I need a break from Skyrim and I've forgotten enough of all the stuff my wife did when she was unemployed that the game feels fresh. Plus there are the DLC missions, though I'm not sure at what point in the game I should be doing any of them (level or storywise).
Honest Hearts would probably be around lvl 15, and then I'd do Dead Money at around 20, followed by Old World Blues. Lonesome Road is scaled to be done last and really, the other 3 DLC build up to it anyway.

Just be careful with Dead Money... you lose all your stuff before doing it (you get it back when your done) and it's easily the hardest. It might worth saving on a different slot before you do it. If you have the Gun Runner's Arsenal DLC, it makes it quite a bit easier because you can make new stuff.

Just be careful with Dead Money... you lose all your stuff before doing it (you get it back when your done) and it's easily the hardest. It might worth saving on a different slot before you do it. If you have the Gun Runner's Arsenal DLC, it makes it quite a bit easier because you can make new stuff.
Thanks for the warning; I'll make an extra slot for that one.

I played a little bit of Impire, and it's really not DK so far. I mean, you build rooms and traps and monsters, so it's close, but it doesn't have the same feel to me.