What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
Been doing the No Mercy heist? That one is designed to have you fight massive hordes of cops unless you do everything just right. Basically, you need to...

- Get all the cameras in 7 seconds. You MUST use a silenced gun or the security guards hear you and press a panic button.
- Control the civilians and doctors so that THEY don't hit a panic button.
- Patch in Bain to find out which room the infected guy is in. I think he'll open the outer door as well.
- STAY AWAY from the Isolation Ward doors until your ready to open them. If you don't, security sees your gun through the windows on the door and sets off the alarms.

If you can't do all of that, you just get HAMMERED the entire time. But this is intentional: they wanted to make the assault waves feel like it does when you trigger the Horde in Left 4 Dead 2. It's also why Special SWAT show up way more often.
I do all that. I run into trouble usually after "making the rounds," it seems like no matter how fast and silently I take out all 3-4 of the guards in the ICU, the alarm always sounds. I'm considering immediately bashing through the glass door as soon as I draw my gun and see if the shutters still come down.

But yeah, the voice acting... SO hilariously awful.

Also, I have yet to succeed in chasing down the traitorous driver in the second one. Cops. Everywhere. And they blend in to the background SO seamlessly.

Heat Street is just a pain in the ass in general. The cover is poor, if hard to find a choke point to defend, and cops can come from ANYWHERE.

Started playing The Sims again. Considering starting another Halforums House, and contemplting buying the two most recent expansion/stuff packs.

Since there was so much interest in the HF house before, maybe I should sell spots in the house and buy the expansions....

Sponsor my habit! Sponsor the HF house!

Haha.

Still working my way through Arkham City.

Gotta say, I liked Arkham Asylum, but I adore Arkham City. The fact that you get an open world to explore right off the bat is great, unlike Arkham Asylum locking down certain areas until certain parts of the storyline. I also like the respawning enemies, so that when I'm grapplehooking my way across the rooftops, I can always spice things up with some good old fashioned fisticuffs if I spot a group of thugs on the streets.

However, as I progress through the game, the fights get harder and harder, to the point where Batman feels like an incompetent novice at times. Yes, I realize I'm the incompetent one, but still... I'm the goddamn Batman, this shouldn't be happening. One fight took me around ten tries to complete...

The Joker fight with the trains.

Enjoying Bioshock for a third time, but it's the first time on our HD TV. Nice to find all these items I couldn't even see before.

But then there were little things in plain sight that I missed anyway, such as hints.

Well played, game.

Zappit

Staff member
Pokemon Conquest: Pokemon thinking it's an Akira Kurosawa story.

There will be many laughs.
But it's fun.

Right now, I'm playing Heroes of Ruin. Closest we'll probably ever get to a Diablo handheld. Couple crappy limits - level 30 cap, one difficulty, no real endgame, bosses don't respond. But it's been fun, and Square Enix has been putting up daily challenges/quests so there's something more to do.

Oh no...there's more?

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. I'm on the 7th night of stages, level before the boss level. It's kind of a killer.
Ok, fuck the last boss in his stupid bullshit randomly generating fireball dropping asshole

That last boss is fucking nonsense, just for the randomness. Sometimes he'd switch a block to a monster block which would then move and fuck me. Nothing I could do. I was boned. That sucks.

If you keep at it, it's doable. I can't count how many times I had to do that one.

Though I will say, I'm a total ass with the Undo command. If he even started doing something I didn't like, rewind time.[DOUBLEPOST=1344029020][/DOUBLEPOST]
But it's fun.
It is. In fact, it's more fun than the game I initially chose over it, and now I'm really regretting that other purchase.

Yeah, I only beat it after I started abusing the undo, which honestly felt like cheating and a bad solution to that randomizing absolute nonsense.

Gungnir: I haven't beaten this, so I can't post about it in the review thread, so I'll just say stuff here...

I've plugged more hours into this and I feel like I've been had.

EDIT, wrote an Amazon review because someone needs to speak for the other side. Will link to it when it's up. With reviews like the ones that are there, it's no wonder I bought this game--they make it sound wonderful and amazing. And it isn't.

GasBandit

Staff member
Borderlands - Oh hell yeah. Who has two thumbs and just found a maliwan hellfire in the promontory immediately before the vault? THIS GUY. I was worried I wasn't going to find one on playthrough 1 this time around, and was kinda bummed about it. Hands down, bar none, the most overpowered and deadly short-to-medium range weapon in the game. Gave it to the little woman's siren, and she switched back to her Mercenary mod for +37% SMG damage. Me, I've been having a whole lot more fun with my Pestilent Defiler than I remember that gun being. Maybe I just had a crappy version of it last time.

The Walking Dead

A bit late to the party playing this due to lack of funds. But Playstation Plus was giving away the first two episodes for free this week.

And man, do I ever regret not getting into this game sooner. It's incredibly engaging. The character are interesting and not always one note (with some exceptions) and the game gives you some really difficult decisions to make at times. Hell, even though I felt I was doing the unquestionably right thing, the game still made me re-think some decisions.

It's funny, though. Every time talk of modern games comes up with a friend of mine, I'm always against cutscenes and quick time events. I feel like this: it's supposed to be a game, not a movie. You're meant to play it, not watch it. Which is why, even though I did enjoy the game play, I hated all the times I was "playing" Metal Gear Solid 4, resting my chin on my fist and thinking, "Gee, this part would've been fun to play." Ditto for Final Fantasy XIII, which I could only stand playing for about 30 minutes because it was "cutscene, walk a few feet, cutscene, fight, cutscene, walk a few feet, etc." I feel that these days, most video games are capable of telling their stories with more interactivity and less cutscenes.

With that said, my favourite games of all time have always been adventure games. And I think about those games, especially more recent ones like all the ones by Telltale, and they're very cutscene heavy. Yet they're still engaging. Maybe it's the writing, the dialogue, and the voice acting, which are always top notch. Yet at the same time, what I would ordinarily complain about endlessly isn't an issue here. I found this game to be incredibly engaging, where I had a very difficult time putting the controller down out of fear for the next time a zombie might pop up in the middle of a dialogue tree.

Currently playing:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Shadow of Chernobyl. Had finished this once when it was first released and now replaying it with STALKER 2009 COMPLETE. It's a very very nice face lift with some very convenient additions. I picked this up during the STEAM sale along with Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat, so I'll be playing these three back to back till I'm done. Even though I've never played the second and third one, I think I'll be adding the COMPLETE mod to them as well, very solid without unbalancing the game.

Fired up Dragon Age: Origins again.

Man, this game's music is awesome. I sat there at the game menu just listening to the music for like five minutes. Picked the Dalish Elf origin this time, not too bad, but I still think Human Noble and Dwarven Noble were better.

Oh, and I'm thinking of picking up some of the DLC. Any suggestions on what to get and what to avoid?

Ah, the last good game before Bioware hit the shit.

Played Orcs Must Die 2 coop last night with Adam

Good times.

Fucker keeps dying though.... no 5 skull rewards cause of n00b :p

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah, the last good game before Bioware hit the shit.

Played Orcs Must Die 2 coop last night with Adam

Good times.

Fucker keeps dying though.... no 5 skull rewards cause of n00b :p
Yeah, I also find that playing co-op with a friend of mine... we often get in each other's way as often as not.

Also, the chick is overpowered.

Fired up Dragon Age: Origins again.

Man, this game's music is awesome. I sat there at the game menu just listening to the music for like five minutes. Picked the Dalish Elf origin this time, not too bad, but I still think Human Noble and Dwarven Noble were better.

Oh, and I'm thinking of picking up some of the DLC. Any suggestions on what to get and what to avoid?
Return to Ostagar and Warden's Keep are both decent dungeons with some neat story bits and equipment. The Stone Prisoner will give you a new character.
And you should absolutely get Dragon Age: Awakening.

Though to be honest, it may be cheaper to buy the Ultimate Edition at this point than pay for the individual DLC. That's what we did with Fallout: New Vegas even though we owned the original game; DLC was $50, but the Ultimate Edition/GOTY was only $30.

Also, not me, but Pokemon Platinum caused a funny conversation.

Got a call from my other cousin (the thank you note's twin brother):

Him: Guess what? I caught an Unown in Pokemon Platinum!
Me: Wow, that's cool. (Can't remember if those things are rare.)
Him: AND guess what else? My Turtwig turned into a Torterra!
Me: Cool, I didn't know you were that far in the game. (Remembering that would have to be at level 32 or 36.) How many badges do you have?
Him: Three.
Me: ...oh, wow, that's good. (Realizing that because he doesn't bother reading what the NPCs say, he's been stuck after the third badge, and has been wandering around fighting wild Pokemon for so long that his team is now 20 levels higher than everything around him.) (Trying not to laugh out loud.)

Since we're going over there today, I may help him pass whatever bump he's stuck on.

Beat STALKER: SoC and got the -real- ending this time around. Funny how the entire dynamic of the game's story changes if you follow a few breadcrumbs. Very awesome stuff.

Finally got around to putting FF12: Zodiac Job System on my PS3 and wow am I already feeling the difference. I think this is the time I actually finish this beauty. I'm also side-playing STALKER Clear Sky for the first time and loving how it plays so closely against the storyline of SoC. The game is also much more fluid and plays alot better all around. I DO not like the faction wars thing though.

Goddamn you motherfucking free-to-play succubi. I picked up LOTRO again.

I was booting up a round of Dragon Age Origins again and...man, Simon Templeman (voice of Teyrn Loghain, Kain from Legacy of Kain/Soul Reavers, not nearly enough other things). If I could have a crush on someone's voice, it is his. Every time a character of his speaks, I am enthralled.
That's funny, I recently started DA:O over again as well, and during one of the "Loghain rants" scenes I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm glad this is the playthrough where I'm going to
recruit him into my party.

Theatrhythem: Final Fantasy I'm super addicted to this game! Rhythm game, so it already has my attention. Add on Final Fantasy, and that's a done deal. This game is too fun!!

That's funny, I recently started DA:O over again as well, and during one of the "Loghain rants" scenes I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm glad this is the playthrough where I'm going to
recruit him into my party.
I've never played a Kain game, but I did experience a weird deja-vu I'm-back-in-Ferelden thing when I did Tali's loyalty quest in Mass Effect 2.

I've never played a Kain game, but I did experience a weird deja-vu I'm-back-in-Ferelden thing when I did Tali's loyalty quest in Mass Effect 2.
You should, they're excellent.

I've been playing WoW again a bit. Yesterday, I got Darksiders 2 and I'm getting into that for the next few days. So far, I'm loving the improvements. And who doesn't love loot drops?

Also, if you want to see that voice actor in something live action, he's in the second or third episode of the last season of Angel. He's a malevolent ghost, so right up his alley.

Actually, The LoK series has some of the best voice talent. Michael Bell as Raziel and Tony Jay as the Elder God. (RIP Tony Jay :()

He also played Death in Charmed and was in an episode of ER as a member of a gang of soccer hooligans if I remember correctly. I just think he's criminally underused as a voice actor. Maybe he doesn't audition much or something.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 3D remains the assiest thing since asses, but props to Nintendo for making it possible without those damn glasses.

What I will say is awesome: gyroscope aiming. I love it so much. And I love this game so much. I forgot how much fun it is just to play it. Not to tackle the next dungeon, not to advance the story, but just to fuck around. I have a feeling some of my favorite exploits have been taken care of, but I'll live. I just love this game so much.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 3D remains the assiest thing since asses, but props to Nintendo for making it possible without those damn glasses.

What I will say is awesome: gyroscope aiming. I love it so much. And I love this game so much. I forgot how much fun it is just to play it. Not to tackle the next dungeon, not to advance the story, but just to fuck around. I have a feeling some of my favorite exploits have been taken care of, but I'll live. I just love this game so much.
Fuck the master quest... fuck it in it's stupid ass...