What are you playing?

Tomb Raider: Okay, past the halfway point, but my patience is near the breaking point with the shoddy response on these controls. I don't think I'll be able to make it through the whole game putting up with this shit, especially since the last three levels are fucking torturous if memory serves.
Just to confirm, you're talking about the original, right? Not the remake? Cause I have the remake in my Steam list but I have yet to play it, and I'm not a fan of unresponsive controls.

Just to confirm, you're talking about the original, right? Not the remake? Cause I have the remake in my Steam list but I have yet to play it, and I'm not a fan of unresponsive controls.
The original from the late 90s. I'm sure the new version is better. I'm mainly doing this to myself out of nostalgia.

I can't think of another good reason I'm doing this to myself.

The weird thing about the original TR games is they function on some kind of odd grid system, seems like. Like, you can't just sidle a little to line up a jump, Lara basically line-dances over a foot when you tap the controls.

The weird thing about the original TR games is they function on some kind of odd grid system, seems like. Like, you can't just sidle a little to line up a jump, Lara basically line-dances over a foot when you tap the controls.
You have to use the walk a lot, but even then because of the grid, you're not necessarily lined up for a straight upward jump and grab.

But the real problem is that you don't jump when you press the button, you jump a little into the press, and sometimes when you release it. I think the idea was so that for doing a running jump, Lara wouldn't jump until she hit the edge, so people didn't have to do it perfectly. The problem is that for jumps where you know exactly when you need Lara in the air, she doesn't get there--the game waits a moment. So you end up dropping a bunch when you know you hit the button at the right moment, as far as most other platform games would be concerned.

I've gotten better at using the multiple different kinds of jumps based on distance, but when the game throws in time limits, you're basically chucking Lara around and hoping she makes it. This is the kind of game you get somewhat better at, but after that you're compensating for the responsiveness and asking for a little luck. This got better almost immediately in the sequels, but I don't think the levels are as interesting in those games.

Tomb Raider: I give up. No particular moment made me do so; it's just been one clunky crap jump too many.

The unfortunate cherry on top is that I had a memory of scaling the side of an enormous pyramid and gazing out at a huge room as the camera zoomed away, just before one of those Atlantis pterodactyl monsters attacks ... well, that room and building were actually a lot smaller than as embedded in the mind of little me, so it probably would've been better to never go looking again. If there was anything reminiscent of my first playthrough, it was me skipping through the levels, though this time so my wife could see the end of the story. (Quite thrilling.)

Persona 4: Dancing All Night is starting to lose its luster too. I'm still loving the gameplay, but I've put about 30+ hours into this and there's only 27 songs not counting DLC. It's honestly lasted me longer than it should, but the DLC ranges from good yet overpriced to cheap but crappy. This considering that of those 27 songs, probably half of them are remixes of the other half. I'm ready to go back to Theatrhythm Curtain Call for my rhythm needs, where there's around 250+ songs. Maybe Atlus will do a big fuck-all rhythm dancing game for Persona that includes stuff from Persona 3 and Persona 5 as well, and then that'll be worth playing some more.

Really, the whole Vita thing was fun at first, but it's like ... mostly I use it to play PS1 games. And while it's fun to visit a museum, it's less fun to live there. Final Fantasy Tactics is great, but a lot of other stuff I picked up hasn't held up so well to the test of time after the initial nostalgia burst. I'll still be playing through Persona 4 Golden, but I think I'll be going back to taking my 3DS with me on the commute, at least for now.

I installed NWN2 and I forgot how painful the first bit of the game is. So fucking boring.

e: Jesus and the enemies hit like fucking trucks and travel in groups of 6 or more. I'm gonna have to godmode this just to get out of the first Goddamn chapter.

Last edited:
I installed NWN2 and I forgot how painful the first bit of the game is. So fucking boring.

e: Jesus and the enemies hit like fucking trucks and travel in groups of 6 or more. I'm gonna have to godmode this just to get out of the first Goddamn chapter.
It's worth it to get to Mask of the Betrayer and get to some of the best Chris Avellone stories ever.

Well, things definitely get better once you've got a couple party members, but man I forgot how boring low-level D&D module game's combat is. No interesting skills, just sitting and letting your party hack away at skeletons and bandits.

I goofed on my character build too, went Ranger and dual-weapon instead of bow. Probably should have done bow so I could build to Arcane Archer, I'll have to move to something melee-focused instead, maybe that mage-knight class.

I've played the base game, own mask of the betrayer and the other expansion but never got around to playing them... I might have to, eventually

I went full irresponsible and bought myself a 3DS XL, along with my own copy of Yo Kai Watch so I can teach my son the valuable lesson of taking a beat down gracefully. Oh, and I scored Zero Escape 2, because the first one was fascinating. So, if anyone has an essential 3DS title to recommend, I can finally play them.

Getting very excited for Stellaris. May 9th release date but I've been following it since it was announced. I'm a big fan of Paradox Grand Strategy games and will sink money into this the moment it's available on Steam. The new Master of Orion game also looks good but Stellaris looks that much better. If you're a fan of Space 4x games like MoO, GalCiv or Endless Space then Stellaris may be up your alley.

I downloaded the demo for Bravery Second. It's basically a reskinned version of the demo for Bravely Default. Bleh.

Really, the point is, the demo being the EXACT SAME as the first game, but with different wrapping, just reminds me of how much I hated the circular nature of the first.

I can agree there, I definitely plan to do some research into whether or not
I'll have to auto-pilot through the same dungeons and bosses over and over again in Second.

Reactions: Dei
To be fair, the title was clever for one shining moment (story spoilers within):

I gave up on the game and watched the Let's Play for the last parts of it, but that change it showed for the title was pretty slick. Was a good plot twist too.

What the hell does "Bravely Default" even mean?
It's in reference to the combat which allows you to Default (store up turns) or Brave (use those stored turns).

It's honestly a nice take on the traditional turn-based RPG system, and in some fights can really turn the tide (or allow some bosses to fucking ruin you). Adding to it my one major RPG weakness, a Job system, and this game had hooks in me for awhile.

The story starts out kind of generic, and the first big twist was cool, but once you realize what the twist means for the remaining game it can become a slog. I ended up grinding to overlevel a bit so I could just get to the last dungeon, and I do have to admit the last round of boss fights are pretty cool, too, even though I kind of breezed through them.

Getting very excited for Stellaris. May 9th release date but I've been following it since it was announced. I'm a big fan of Paradox Grand Strategy games and will sink money into this the moment it's available on Steam. The new Master of Orion game also looks good but Stellaris looks that much better. If you're a fan of Space 4x games like MoO, GalCiv or Endless Space then Stellaris may be up your alley.
Huh, I've never even heard of this game before today, but now I'm intrigued.

It's honestly a nice take on the traditional turn-based RPG system, and in some fights can really turn the tide (or allow some bosses to fucking ruin you). Adding to it my one major RPG weakness, a Job system, and this game had hooks in me for awhile.

The story starts out kind of generic, and the first big twist was cool, but once you realize what the twist means for the remaining game it can become a slog. I ended up grinding to overlevel a bit so I could just get to the last dungeon, and I do have to admit the last round of boss fights are pretty cool, too, even though I kind of breezed through them.
I found a spot I could easily grind, set the encounter rate to 200%, turned on auto battle, and just ran back and forth while watching TV until I hit max. Then I turned off encounters and plowed through the monotony.

I found a spot I could easily grind, set the encounter rate to 200%, turned on auto battle, and just ran back and forth while watching TV until I hit max. Then I turned off encounters and plowed through the monotony.
Yeah, I did about the same. I kind of wish I'd stopped before maxing most stuff out, so the last few bosses would have been more challenging, but even at max level a couple of those fights were tough at points.

Yeah, I did about the same. I kind of wish I'd stopped before maxing most stuff out, so the last few bosses would have been more challenging, but even at max level a couple of those fights were tough at points.
I remember the swordmaster guy being pretty brutal, at least.

I remember the swordmaster guy being pretty brutal, at least.
Yeah, I can't remember my strat for him, he was so counter-happy it was ridiculous. If I remember right him, the Red Mage and the Spiritmaster/Arcanist fights were all pretty tough, especially in the rematches.

Yeah, I can't remember my strat for him, he was so counter-happy it was ridiculous. If I remember right him, the Red Mage and the Spiritmaster/Arcanist fights were all pretty tough, especially in the rematches.
You basically had to default until he used a bunch of Brave at once instead of just prepping for counter.

So, I would not call WWE 2K16 a great game. I wouldn't even call it a good game. It is a game... not bad, pretty ok. And I'm loving every minute of it.

It's making me realize how much work goes into being a modern professional wrestler. From crafting the perfect persona, bashing your rivals on twitter and smack talking them in interviews, and setting up pyrotechnics to perfectly sync with your intro music and entrance choreography. I think that last one is the most important.

And, you know, sometimes you wrestle. Poor Wrassler-Poe is a total jobber right now, my biggest rival is Tyler fuckin' Breeze, but one day I'll work my way out of NXT.

Bought Kotor for android for my cellphone during my month of vacation. I'm now in Singapore on the way back, and I'm still on Taris. Man, fuck Taris.
Also, still really like the game (though 2 is far superior with patches) but ughhhh moving and playing on such a small screen.

I have come to the conclusion that Revelation should have been released as the main game, with the other two being "what if" scenarios and released as the DLC. Though that probably would have made them less money.[emoji14]