What are you playing?

Don't Starve

Well, I certainly regret not playing this one sooner. Really fun survival/adventure/resource gathering game. The whole point of the game is literally in the title: don't starve. Well, okay, you have to worry about wolves and other monsters later, but the most important thing is don't starve.

I'm strangely addicted to it, so don't be surprised if you see a message pop up on your Steam over the next week or two that "ThatNickGuy is playing Don't Starve."
I HAVE SEEN THIS MESSAGE.

Downloaded a couple demos on 3DS.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: I wish the demo let you use Classic mode, because I'm really hating Story mode, which I didn't think would be the case for me. The constant "Hmm" and "Oh" from the side characters is grating and I'd like to have a chance to play with the new Skills trees without committing to buying the game.

Bravely Default: Square-Enix's latest RPG. The gimmick is that you can use the Default battle option to store up a character's turns, and then the Brave option to use as many stored turns as you want. I can see this as a good tactic for your healer, in case s/he needs to save the party's collective asses later, but the gimmick doesn't seem enough to base a game around. Character designs are chibi-ish versions of FFXII's style, and the monsters look like Final Fantasy. This is supposed to be the Final Fantasy we've all been waiting for, but I feel like I've just outgrown that kind of game, because BD's demo bored me.

I hath become Casual Gamer.

Been playing Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush Frontier on my tablet, doing my damnedest to max star every level.

B

BErt

Spending my time alternating between Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies and all the Zelda games I downloaded on the 3DS. Fell in absolute love with Link Between Worlds and couldn't put it down until I beat it. Seriously felt like a kid again walking around that world map. Then FINALLY beat Zelda 2 (yes I used the shadow link glitch shaddup)...now I'm in the 3rd dungeon of Link's Awakening which I never got a chance to play before.

Zelda ALBW has me overdosing on fun. I had to make myself stop. I can totally see how people could end up finishing this the week it came out.

Got a stress test invite to Elder Scrolls Online for the weekend. Anyone else in?
I was also invited, but I literally have no will or desire to play the game. Sad.

Lately, I've been playing a game where the main goal is to be a pretty pretty princess. God Save the Queen is way more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

So jokes on you, friend that gifted it to me as a gag.

GasBandit

Staff member
I was also invited, but I literally have no will or desire to play the game. Sad.
Yeah really. Dammit Zenimax, all we wanted was co-op 2 or maaaaybe 4 player Skyrim. Not... this.

Lately, I've been playing a game where the main goal is to be a pretty pretty princess. God Save the Queen is way more enjoyable than I thought it would be.
You know, I tried that out too, and it wasn't awful, but I'm very disappointed that all the events are scripted as opposed to random. Really hurts the replayability in my opinion, because it leads to just "if you want ending X train exactly A, B and C in exactly this order and amounts and do Z) rather than simply having to plan and adapt based on unpredictable future events. Princess Maker 2, for all its age lines, is a more robust and satisfying... well... Princess Maker game.

Decided to put a little time into Kingdoms of Amalur, and while it's medicore at best the combat is borderline infuriating sometimes. It takes waaaaaaay too many hits to break enemy attacks, and some monsters (I'm looking at you, Wolves), are so fast and relentless in groups you spend more time dodging than swinging, making most slow weapons useless. On top of that, most combo attacks are worthless save for button-mashing, and some of the attack-out-of-dodge/block/etc attacks are slow and useless.

In other news, Cave Story+ is fun. I have so many half-completed games it's killing me.

fade

Staff member
Far cry 3

I picked this up in the steam sale. It's okay but I don't think I would've gotten it on my own. It's like Bethesda makes uncharted. It's sandboxish. I wouldn't quite go so far as to call it sandbox though. It's more like its multiple linear paths. I do like the world though and I like how the enemies act realistic and get better AI as you get more XP.

GasBandit

Staff member
I haven't played 3 yet (though I did buy it on sale last summer) but 2 was very sandboxish but highly repetitive (every guard checkpoint was pretty much exactly the same, and it got stale kinda fast).

I started playing Hitman: Absolution last night. I don't like how it keeps your score on screen in real time, showing it dinging points against you as you make messes. I'm also having problems with the story, though it's also not very far into the game.

Far cry 3

I picked this up in the steam sale. It's okay but I don't think I would've gotten it on my own. It's like Bethesda makes uncharted. It's sandboxish. I wouldn't quite go so far as to call it sandbox though. It's more like its multiple linear paths. I do like the world though and I like how the enemies act realistic and get better AI as you get more XP.
A friend picked it up for me along with two other friends and we have been player the co-op mode. Been having a blast with it.

Got invited to the beta stress test again as well. After last time's experience where I got to play a whole 2 minutes and every disconnect making me replay the intro with a new character (character saves were off). I kindly turn it down. I won't try this game until I actually get to play some beta and they better invite me, game has to be EXCELLENT to make me pay $60 + $15 a month.

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team

This game has the RPG elements that were missing from Paper Mario Sticker Star. It's imaginative, there's good humor, the setting keeps changing to stay fresh. It's a well-made game.

... So why do I find it so boring? I want to be having fun, and occasionally I am, but it feels like it's just walking a middle line where it doesn't want to get serious, but it doesn't want to go super silly. I just don't understand. I should be enjoying this, but I don't care much about the story and I'm an ace at the battle system. I'd rather be playing Super Mario RPG for the SNES, even if it fails to have Luigi present.

All I'm going to say, is that for all my friends who've already completed Far Cry 3:

I died so many times at the part, but goddamn was it fun.

People are really betting against ESO, even more with the 60/15 pricepoints. From what I've heard combat is really bland, gameplay is nothing special, and it just doesn't feel like an ES game (lots of lore-breaking, among other things).

GasBandit

Staff member
People are really betting against ESO, even more with the 60/15 pricepoints. From what I've heard combat is really bland, gameplay is nothing special, and it just doesn't feel like an ES game (lots of lore-breaking, among other things).
The funny thing is that they really sold it on the lore ("People will be able to play more and delve into the Elder Scrolls lore that has become so beloved!") when the truth is most people play elder scrolls game for the gameplay/immersion, which was kicked to the curb in ESO because you can't MMO that stuff without really beefy hardware on both ends and guaranteed <50ms latency.

I haven't D/C'd all day and have been enjoying it so far. It's very much skyrim with other people running around. UI is much better.

GasBandit

Staff member
I haven't D/C'd all day and have been enjoying it so far. It's very much skyrim with other people running around. UI is much better.
That contradicts every other report I've read, everybody else called it WoW with a skyrim beanie.

I don't really know what to tell you, this is just my experience with it. It's fetch questy, like Wow, but also like skyrim was as well. Combat is totally different than Wows, leveling is the same as it was in skyrim. You pick a class at the beginning of the game but it doesn't seem to actually affect much as I can still level anything I want.

The atmosphere of the game is much like any Elder Scrolls game and that alone makes it more appealing to me.

Last edited:
I've been playing the demo of Bravely Default and am already really annoyed at how I have to play Farmville to upgrade my shit.

I've been playing the demo of Bravely Default and am already really annoyed at how I have to play Farmville to upgrade my shit.
I'm a little annoyed they felt the need to get all 4Kids on the game and censor it. I thought we left that behind in the SNES era.

Allegedly the full game requires less of this type of grinding, but that begs the question, why then put it in the demo?

I'm intrigued by the job class stuff, but the game overall just isn't grabbing my interest and I don't think Square-Enix deserves any more of my money. Maybe I'll try it out pre-owned from Gamestop many months from now and if I still don't like it, I can return it for a full refund.

So, played through Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and while it has it's flaws (there's some real amateur hour level design and platforming) it was still a lot of fun and I liked it as a rebooted history for the Castlevania series (sorry Iga fans, those games are dead forever). Totally worth picking up for PC as that eliminates all the framerate issues and such from the console versions, just do not try to play it without a controller, there is literally a section that's impossible to wsda through.

Now, it also comes with the DLC. The DLC kind of ties together the end of the game and the epilogue. The first piece, Reverie isn't too bad. It's mostly just a series of gauntlets and a boss fight. Not a big deal. It does add a neat new minigame mechanic* to the game. Typical quickly shit out DLC. The second piece, Resurrection, might be the biggest piece of shit ever sold to people. It's so unbelievably badly designed. There's a section where you fight a multiple stage boss, then a series of skeletons (like over a dozen, they were easily the most difficult regular enemy in the game) which is followed up by another multistage boss fight. All this without a health fountain or magic spot. Then there's the issue with fucking AWFUL platforming sections where the platforms are spaced apart in such a way that a single jump cannot make it but a double jump sends you sailing over the other side to your instant no checkpoint having death. Prepare to do this section a fucking lot.

Just read that the lead developer at MercurySteam said that the DLC were a mistake and never planned. They were unprepared for the success of the game and Konami demanded DLC to sell quickly so they were rushed out and it shows.

Just watch the Youtube compilations of the cutscenes if you want to know what happens, the DLC is bad. The main game is mostly good (especially the sequences they knicked from Shadow of the Colossus...makes me yearn for an actual HD future graphics version of that game) and worth a playthrough.

Getting real sick ofMario and Luigi Dream Team with the Luiginary Drill bullshit. I have to jump with Mario using the A button and spin Luigi's nose with the stylus. Really annoying and I feel like I'm carving up the touch screen worse than playing multiplayer Kid Icarus Uprising.

On the other hand, I guess now I know how it feels to play right-handed centric games when you're left-handed.