What are you playing?

So is anyone else in this Steam Trading Card beta? I'm not sure what to think of it... on one hand, it's a fun diversion that gets you to play games you already like. On the other hand, it's impossible to collect all of the cards on your own in some games and you don't have a lot of stuff to trade with to get cards unless you play TF2 or buy stuff on sale. Worse, you HAVE to buy stuff from the game in F2P games if you want more drops.

It's fun but this is weighted way too far towards purchases to be worth it. You should be able to get MOST of the cards by yourself and then have to trade for a few, not trade for more than half of them with stuff you don't have unless your wasting cash on it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Try Gnomoria. I've been playing it a while, and it seems exactly like a DF clone with a passable GUI. It's also on sale for 4 bucks today.

Oh, and if you try it, definitely bookmark this page. Gnomoria is just as confusing/hard to get started as DF.
I got it. I'm hooked. Took me 3 settlements ruined by gnomes bleeding out to figure out the whole bandage thing. And I still don't know how to turn chairs. But oh lord am I hooked.

My local game shop had a copy of the original Rayman for only 8 bucks! With the original box too! With the manual! Second print disc though, but hey I ain't Zuckerburg and it was 8 bucks.

Its challenging too, I've all ready used three continues.

I got it. I'm hooked. Took me 3 settlements ruined by gnomes bleeding out to figure out the whole bandage thing. And I still don't know how to turn chairs. But oh lord am I hooked.
Hit R when you're on the "place chair icon" and it will rotate. (any other piece of furniture also). Oh, and I've run across the gnomoria wiki, though the DF wiki would also probably go a long way for strategies and the like.

I've spent way too much time on this game lately :)

Dwarf Fortress is a lot more complicated: more things to build, more plants and animals, more merchant types such as elves that get offended if you try to sell them wood products, etc. But it's lack of any kind of decent GUI completely destroys the game for me.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hit R when you're on the "place chair icon" and it will rotate. (any other piece of furniture also). Oh, and I've run across the gnomoria wiki, though the DF wiki would also probably go a long way for strategies and the like.

I've spent way too much time on this game lately :)

Dwarf Fortress is a lot more complicated: more things to build, more plants and animals, more merchant types such as elves that get offended if you try to sell them wood products, etc. But it's lack of any kind of decent GUI completely destroys the game for me.
Ditto. The DF guys and the Gnomoria guys need to get over each other and combine their forces, already. DF's robustness with Gnomoria's GUI. Could easily be the next minecraft-esque indie success story (you know, the one Terraria tried to be).

(Another gnomoria goof - I didn't realize digging out a level left a "floor" to separate it from the layer below, I thought I had to leave a full layer between each level, a-la minecraft. Whoo boy did that waste a lot of vertical space)

What I always found usefull is to wall yourself in. Remove all the ramps on the mountains and raise walls leaving enough flat terrain for farms and trees.Leave a single entrance so the merchant and new settlers can come in and next to the entrance place a training camp.plop a squad of gnomes there and no more problems with goblins.( dont forget a couple of crates with bandages next to the training area and setting the AI to retreat when wounded.)

GasBandit

Staff member
What I always found usefull is to wall yourself in. Remove all the ramps on the mountains and raise walls leaving enough flat terrain for farms and trees.Leave a single extrance so the merchant and new settlers can come in and next to the entrance place a training camp.plop a squad of gnomes there and no more problems with goblins.( dont forget a couple of crates with bandages next to the training area and setting the AI to retreat when wounded.)
Hmmm... Good idea.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'd only play 4 man coop.

Also, your schedule sucks dude.

I will have some pretty regular gaming time coming up in August. My wife and kids will be visiting her family in Newfoundland so I will actually be reliable in the evenings. I would definitely like to do some coop then if you're up for it.

I just started playing in the open beta of Scrolls, the online digital CCG from Mojang (of minecraft fame). It combines MtG style cards with a hex grid playing board.

Guys... I think I might be in trouble.

I just started playing in the open beta of Scrolls, the online digital CCG from Mojang (of minecraft fame). It combines MtG style cards with a hex grid playing board.

Guys... I think I might be in trouble.
So no more Borderlands 2? We almost made it to LVL 20 this time.

I just finished Bioshock Infinite for the 2nd time. I think that before I try it on a harder setting I'm going to give Dishonored a go.

GasBandit

Staff member
Started second playthrough of Borderlands 2, but oh god Gnomoria.... My best gemcrafter/jeweler got bitten so hard in the chest by a honey badger it PIERCED THE HEART and killed her instantly. And here I sit on 20-someodd sapphires that ain't gotta make themselves into superior rings.

How the hell did you let a badger into your base? Tsk tsk tsk. Another helpfull tip (if you havent done it already) Create a Soldier class,lets call it Villager, that will wear leather armor, and set it to, will work if not assigned to soldier duty.Every non Soldier Class unit should be the Villager class,so they automatically pick up armor.And if you got enough copper stuff from killing goblins,you can let them wear copper armor.

Heh, so I've been playing Star Trek Online. Today, with my Romulan Subadmiral I bought a lockbox key (keys that generally cost 1.25 each in points) for 1.7 million energy credits (not a small amount of coin).

I opened a Tal Shiar lockbox and got the rarest drop you can get in them. A 1/200 chance at this ship.

Basically, it's the Destroyer version of the Narada from Star Trek 2009. People flooded me with private messages offering me 10s of millions of credits for it. First time I've ever been lucky in an MMO.

Ha, it even fires masses of torpedoes like the Narada did. It's called shrapnel torpedo barrage.

How the hell did you let a badger into your base? Tsk tsk tsk. Another helpfull tip (if you havent done it already) Create a Soldier class,lets call it Villager, that will wear leather armor, and set it to, will work if not assigned to soldier duty.Every non Soldier Class unit should be the Villager class,so they automatically pick up armor.And if you got enough copper stuff from killing goblins,you can let them wear copper armor.
Under the "population" tab, you can set the "Default clothes" for the general populace. Don't need to make no fake squads to get them all decked out in armor.

What I really want is a Jem Hadar Attack Ship. Those things are apparently devastatingly powerful for some reason.

GasBandit

Staff member
This was before the wall was built. And the gnome in question actually was a trained member of the military squad with a weapon, the badger just got a lucky roll its very first attack. The other four in the squad beat it down after that.

Yeah, there's not a "will work if not assigned" button that I can find. They just do that automatically now in the latest version, apparently.

Got up to 105k credits in ME3 Multiplayer (no big deal, that's like 6 or 7 missions on Bronze) and bought a Reserves Pack for 99k. Inside were a silver and two golds - Asari Vanguard, Drell Vanguard, and Krogan Battlemaster (Vanguard), as well as some boosts/customization options for the basic Soldier. Awesome. Also found out that my Sentinel just carrying a Carnifex pistol is a lot more effect than with an assault rifle (the one type of weapon I seem to get A LOT in Arsenal packs - I have the M-8 Avenger II, M-15 Vindicator II, M-55 Argus, M-96 Mattock, N7 Valkyrie, and Phaeston) due to the speedy recharge, though until I get some magazine mods it's *blam blam blam / tactical cloak run to ammo*

I decided to play through Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon with headphones on this time.

Why the hell wasn't I doing this before?! There's so much atmosphere in the sound that's lost from the 3DS XL's speakers, it actually makes the game a bit creepy.

figmentPez

Staff member
I just finished getting 100% in LEGO Lord of the Rings. As much as I love Tolkien and the movies, I've got to say I enjoyed LEGO Batman 2 more, mainly because travel around the open world of Batman is so much more enjoyable. Being able to drive and/or fly everywhere is so much better than walking. If they'd just made horses a regular option for travel, it would have improved LLotR tremendously. I've said it before, but these games are more fun than they are good. You can tell they've been cranked out, because there are a lot of areas where it's obvious they need more polish, but they're still fun because the humor is great and LEGO is such a great IP.

I've also been playing Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers, I got it as part of a Humble Bundle, and so far I am not impressed. The art style is so flat it's hard to tell what's going on in the 3D world. It's a platformer, with physics puzzles, so it's kind of important to be able to tell spatial relationships, but the limited color palette and sketchy textures make it very difficult to gauge size and distance. So far the writing is horrible, it doesn't read smoothly, the characters are undeveloped, the humor is confusing and maybe this can all be chalked up to a bad translation, but whatever the cause I've got no incentive to go on playing.

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh my goodness, Thomas Was Alone is magical. I have no idea where this is going, if it's even going anywhere, but the narration is just so charming.

Not playing really, but since I don't feel like going through the Asscreed games again, my wife and I are watching the cutscenes on the PS3 Youtube channel. With not having to focus on running, sneaking, and killing, I was able to sit back and watch the animations. Ubisoft has a solid grasp on human movement. During a scene in the catacombs where the Templars are planning a murder, they're all just standing around chatting, and yet they are animated. They move their hands while they talk and their bodies shift like real people. Compare this with Square-Enix where the characters are striking poses and constantly flashing thumbs-up and peace signs, way more often than in the anime they ape. It's really impressive to see and highlights that Square-Enix has no idea how people move and act.

Lots and Lots of Awesomenauts. Especially since the release of the latest character, voiced by Ashley Burch (of Hey Ash Whatcha Playing? and Tiny Tina fame). It's amazing how Ronimo continually releases balanced characters that add new dynamics to the game.

Very little WoW. Mostly biding my time to 5.4 and the end of Mists.

Playing Borderlands 2 a bit here and there again, getting ready for the last DLC of the game being released on Tuesday.

Also trying to finally play all the way through of Red Dead Redemption. I've gotten far in the past but never owned it until now.