Went to the gym or the 1st time ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chummer

Been meaning to go for awhile but life got in the way.

Anyways, I heard a good routine for cardio is like 45 minutes.

The attendant at the gym recommended the ski machine thingy for a good all around cardio.

OMG I lasted under 7 minutes on it. My legs HURT.

I went and did the bike thing for about another 30, and that was way easier but I was later told it really only works the legs. Poop.

How am I supposed to do 45 minutes on the ski thingy? I can't just "Work out" for 7 minutes and call it a day.

I do plan to toss in some upper body stuff, like 15 min a tri[ but dang those machines are scary. I ended up using dumbells for a few minutes. Ill try the machines later.

But yea, Im happy with myself for going. Now to just get into the routine...

North_Ranger

Staff member
I've been thinking about starting a gym routine after a few years... but unfortunately paying $100 a month is a tad too steep a price for me :(

C

Chummer

North_Ranger said:
I've been thinking about starting a gym routine after a few years... but unfortunately paying $100 a month is a tad too steep a price for me :(

WTF? Is the whole thing gold-plated?

My local gym is $20 a month for a year long plan or $30 per month with no plan.

Join the Marine Corps. You don't have to pay anything other than time, they pay you and you WILL get in shape.

S

Singularity.EXE

My first time at the gym I went straight to the big heavy-lifting machines. I was able to work out for about half an hour, benching 120 pounds and doing moderately well on all the other machines. I was quite proud of myself.

Then I couldn't go to the gym for a week because I couldn't move my arms. Except the pain to come in the morning.

C

Chibibar

Edrondol said:
Join the Marine Corps. You don't have to pay anything other than time, they pay you and you WILL get in shape.

I don't qualify.

I did join a gym. I'm out of SHAPE. My wife and I decide to do Aerobic Shadow Boxing. I thought I was gonna die after 20 minutes (my wife gave up after 10) it is intense.

I manage to survive water aerobic (twice a week 1 hour at a time)

L

Lally

Chummer said:

The attendant at the gym recommended the ski machine thingy for a good all around cardio.

I went and did the bike thing for about another 30, and that was way easier but I was later told it really only works the legs. Poop.

How am I supposed to do 45 minutes on the ski thingy? I can't just "Work out" for 7 minutes and call it a day.

I do plan to toss in some upper body stuff, like 15 min a tri[ but dang those machines are scary. I ended up using dumbells for a few minutes. Ill try the machines later.

If you've never gone to the gym before, chances are you're just out of shape. It's not something that can't be fixed, but you're just going to have to push yourself a little farther every day. Try to increase how long you stay on it every day, or every couple days. Even if you push the time forward as little as a minute a week, if you stay committed to it eventually you'll get there... Pushing yourself too hard too fast will just make you not want to do it at all -- at least, that's been my experience. I would try some lower impact cardio (like a step aerobics class, or brisk walking on a treadmill) along with the abbreviated ski machine workouts.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Well, apparently I could get a $60 monthly membership - but that would mean I would have to come in before 3pm. As a full-time student, that's a tad difficult for me.

You know what the really fucked up thing is? Those prices include the student discount.

And I was in the armed forces. Somehow surviving on tea and hard bread while pretending to kill Russians is not the kind of exercise I was hoping for.

C

Chibibar

I join 24hr fitness and pay 30$ a month to use any 24hr fitness within the U.S.

Cajungal

Staff member
Those ski thingies can be hard if you're not used to going to the gym. Seems like they should have suggested something easier to begin with. Even if you do the treadmill at a slower pace--one that still brings up your heartrate--I bet that's a better start than something harder for less time.

Also, good for you. :)

If you want I can send you a hulking brute of a gay guy that can have you if he catches you. I hear you'll get a GREAT workout running away.

GasBandit

Staff member
North_Ranger said:
I have no idea what that is, and somehow I am glad of it.
It's the final form of the insanoflex. The ultimate full body aerobic and weight training excercise machine. In the space of 1 day, it will make your muscles so huge that your joints will no longer be able to bend. But it will destroy most of your town in the process.

B

Batdan

Chummer said:
Yea Ill prob try the treadmill tomorrow
Heh, it's always fun when you step off the treadmill and you get that feeling like the floors are still moving for a while afterward.

L

Laurelai

Chummer said:
....OMG I lasted under 7 minutes on it. My legs HURT.

How am I supposed to do 45 minutes on the ski thingy? I can't just "Work out" for 7 minutes and call it a day.....

You're doing great by going and doing what you can do :D When my baby hit 6 weeks i hit the gym- after being out of the loop for a long time, I was in HORRID shape. I did literally 10 minutes on the stair master and about died. I kept at it- I go to the gym at least 3 days, and sometimes 4 days a week, adding only one minute every 3 or so days. I am now up to 45 minutes on the stair master and now I am increasing my difficulty levels. yay!!! Once you hit the 30 minute mark, you really start to notice a difference. Plus, the first 30 minutes works your heart, and after that, you're burning fat. (burn fat! burrrrrrn!!!) So keep it up! My baby is 5 months old now and I feel so much better! (and it kept me from killing the other half)

J

JCM

Chummer said:

Start off with short sessions of two mins, with a 1-min break between, until youve worked out for 30 mins.

Next week, increase it to three, then 4, 5 and so on, you wont be able to withstand 45 mins in your first time, you have to build up your stamina and body over a long period of time.

Also, dont expect any drastic changes to your body´s appearance until maybe 6 months of going to the gym regularly.

don't worry to much about what people say you should be doing until you start getting into better shape. what is important is that you get in the habit of working out, so that it no longer becomes a chore, but an activity you look forward to. work on pushing out your time spent working out little by little and before you know it you will able to get that 30-60 min workout, and can start working on the intensity level.

Just keep at it, bud. You'll get used to it. If the ski machine was so tough, try bringing the resistance down a few notches.

Things like this, it'll take time.

I don't know about down in the States but up here I've started noticing that everywhere, including beauty salons, has these things you stand on that vibrate you. This is supposed to help you loose weight and claims that ten minutes standing on this thing equals and hour work out.

What the fuck are these things? Do they actually work?

It seems like it wouldn't. I always thought, like, movement was required in weight loss.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack but I got to know.

Edrondol said:

I might do that.

Except I may have a problem when it comes to being shipped off to a country full of people who want to kill me.

And I don't think I could shoot anyone.

And I bet the yelling gets old quick, too.

So, can I do it without the being shot at, killing people, and the yelling?

C

Chazwozel

AGHHH!! The ski thingy is called an Elliptical!

And jeez man 7 minutes? I usually spend a solid hour and a half on mine at home.

Push yourself to do at least 20. I can't imagine you're getting anything out of 7 mintues.

-- Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:03 am --

General Specific said:
Edrondol said:

I might do that.

Except I may have a problem when it comes to being shipped off to a country full of people who want to kill me.

And I don't think I could shoot anyone.

And I bet the yelling gets old quick, too.

So, can I do it without the being shot at, killing people, and the yelling?
My biggest problem would be laughing at the drill sergeant when he would get up in my face. Not intentional laughing, but just laughing from the absurdity of what they say. I hear they fix that up real quick though.

Chazwozel said:

And jeez man 7 minutes? I usually spend a solid hour and a half on mine at home.

Push yourself to do at least 20. I can't imagine you're getting anything out of 7 mintues.
Don't you agree he should build his stamina slowly first before really hitting the Elliptical? Maybe trying to do 10+ min on Treadmills?

C

Chazwozel

Shegokigo said:
Chazwozel said:

Don't you agree he should build his stamina slowly first before really hitting the Elliptical? Maybe trying to do 10+ min on Treadmills?

Ellipticals are far easier than actual running.

I dunno, the way I build my stamina is by pushing myself to do something that's hard to do and eventually getting there and setting the bar higher still. I mean 7 minutes isn't giving you anything.

C

chakz

North_Ranger said:
I have no idea what that is, and somehow I am glad of it.
I believe it is from the aqua team hunger force movie. I know this and I hate ATF. Not just because its an unfunny piece of crap but because it taught adult swim that they could air a show made for basically nothing and make a huge profit.

Edrondol said:
If you want I can send you a hulking brute of a gay guy that can have you if he catches you. I hear you'll get a GREAT workout running away.
I told you that in CONFIDENCE :humph:

There's only one tried and true method to get into shape and lose that unsightly fat! It worked for me.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJaq_C4gCuQ:17wihmqa][/youtube:17wihmqa]

NO, VINNIE, NOOOOOOOOOO!

R

rvdleun

I started this week myself after having been absent from the gym since November due to an illness. My condition is at an all-time low, and I also have to really get slowly into it. 10 minutes on a treadmill/bicycle/ski-thing, 5 minutes of training my muscles in-between for a quick rest, while I used to do it twice as much. Very difficult to hold back, but I hope to have a proper condition again in a few months.

(wouldn't mind to lose some fat in the mean time)

C

Chummer

2nd trip:

20 min on the treadmill, it's calculations determined I could stand a brisk walk. Heh. Although the last 2 min i kicked it up to a light jog.

Then I went back to the Ski machine thinger. 5 minutes until I neeed to rest my sore legs. Basicly on it, Id go fora minute or 2, rest for 30 seconds then continue. Luckily the timer stops if you stop so I got a full 25 min on it.

So over all Im proud of myself and look forward to more.

There's been a lot of advice here, some I'll agree with some I won't. Slowly building endurance is your best bet. But there are also things that can and should do outside of the gym that will train you and build your endurance even when you are not "training".

Quickest and easiest example I give people is your trip to the grocery store, the mall, where ever you happen to be going. Stop trying to find the closest spot to the store. Look instead for a spot a long ways away from the store then make your walk up to the store and on your way back to the car a brisk paced walk. Have a basketball court anywhere near you? Just pick up a Ball and go shoot some hoops sometimes. You don't have to get crazy with it, just have fun with it. The more you make things be "work" the less likely you are to stick with them. And my personal favorite: Go swimming.
But the big key is, don't make your workout your only form of exercise, and have fun with it. You'll get more out of it, you'll have more fun, and you are a lot more likely to stick with it.

Also, for weight training, stay away from the weight machines. Stick with free weights. They are a much better exercise and give you a lot more benefit.

For those who think they can't make it to a gym but would love to work out, may I suggest checking out a kettle bell. Secret of the Russian strong men and best single piece home gym I've ever found. Hit youtube for an example or twelve.

Also a [strike:3u3i79pw]good[/strike:3u3i79pw] great source for tips and exercise (and diet) comes from the Men's Health monthly magazine. Also a good thing to check out.

W

Wasabi Poptart

One thing I would like to add is that results come slowly. Anyone who tells you differently is selling snake oil. I try to look at my progress a little at a time by setting short term goals rather than looking at the larger picture. If you can do 7 minutes on the elliptical machine, then your next goal may be to work up to 10 minutes in 2 weeks time. If you make it to 10 minutes before that two weeks is up, then set your next goal for a week and a half instead. Push yourself to work hard, but remember that overdoing it is counterproductive. Another way to stay motivated (for me at least) is to have someone to work out with. Maybe a friend, a co-worker, or a family member also would like to get in better shape. I found it kept me in check when I had a little friendly competition and someone who would hold me accountable versus going to the gym on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.