Well shit. Computer is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
I had the Ubuntu disk burned as data, not the way I needed it to be. Loading Ubuntu right now. Maybe I'll have a computer soon!

Dave

Staff member
Posting this from my computer. YAY!!

Ubuntu sucks, though. Everything is difficult and there is no dual monitor support so I have 1 dead monitor. Beautiful. Next step? Power down, plug back in the other drive and back everything up onto the new drive. Then I can work on getting Win7 and remove Ubuntu, plus get a new HD to make primary.

But I need to try and find some way to be able to log in to my work so I can work from home. Stay tuned!

Dave

Staff member
Not quite yet. But I'm getting closer. Booted back up and am starting to try and find the files I want to move over.

For future reference, it is possible to do a fresh install of Windows 7 without upgrading from Vista. It takes some jumping through hoops, and possibly some registry editing, but it can be done.
What hoops would one have to jump through. I've been having issues with my computer. I did an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. I have the Windows 7 discs from when we changed my wife's computer over from Vista. Would I not be able to simply install windows 7 using the retail install we bought as an overwrite on this hard drive and then use my current windows 7 key to make it work?

figmentPez

Staff member
What hoops would one have to jump through. I've been having issues with my computer. I did an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. I have the Windows 7 discs from when we changed my wife's computer over from Vista. Would I not be able to simply install windows 7 using the retail install we bought as an overwrite on this hard drive and then use my current windows 7 key to make it work?
The Windows 7 Upgrade install key won't allow it to be input on a fresh installation, I don't think. One method to get around this is to do a fresh install (even from the upgrade disc) and skip entering a key when it asks (you get a week or something to enter a key and validate), and then do an "upgrade" from Win7 to Win7. Another method involves editing the registry, and let me see if I can find that one... Ah ha! I thought we'd talked about this on the forum before. Here it is: Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media

It's worth noting (for folks who didn't click on the link), that the "double" install method is actually a Microsoft supported solution for people with legitimate copies of Windows XP/Vista who can't, for w/e reason, do an in-place upgrade installation.

I found out today that my desktop's processor fan is dead. I found this out when it suddenly shut down in the middle of playing Dragon Age. Must have overheated. No wires are damaged, I blew out all the dust that had accumulated and it still would not start up when the system was turned back on. So tomorrow I get to go buy a new fan.

Dave

Staff member
Moved to Tech Talk due to my now starting to ask a lot of questions.

Never used Ubuntu before so excuse me if this is stupid, but....

I have this on a 500 GB HD and the WHOLE DRIVE is being taken up by the fucking OS. Even though the OS only needs like 10 GB, I have a part of my partition that reads as "Unknown" and /dev/sda1....and won't allow me to write anything to it. I found where I can edit the partition, but it won't let me change the label and I have no idea what TYPE to make it! And should it remain "bootable"?

This is more trouble than it's worth!

The whole drive probably isn't taken up by the OS, it's maybe just formatted in a linux file system just like Windows formats the entire drive in NTFS. Here is a tutorial on the Ubuntu partition manager. I'd suggest booting into the live CD and running it from there. If you want to be able to access the left over part of the drive in windows, make it NTFS. Don't change the bootable flag.

If you can post a screenshot of the partition manager so we can see what you have set up, it may help.

Well, if you changed the portion of the drive that the OS was installed on it would do that.

I believe by default Ubuntu creates 2 partitions. One is just "/" and is your root partition, the one that the OS is located. The other is "/swap", you won't ever touch that. If you reinstall, you can do a manual configure on your partitions and set your "/" partition to 12 gig, and your "/swap" to 2 gig. For the rest of it make an NTFS partition.

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Here's another deal on how to set up the partitions. It has a bit more detail on what you need.

Sorry, Dave. Ubuntu is one of those things I haven't learned yet. Good luck, though...and as soon as you get anything to show up anywhere for any length of time whatsoever...MAKE A COPY OF IT!

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.