Weird weather

GasBandit

Staff member
Do you know if there is a list of the closures? Everyone talks about the "Waffle House Index", but I haven't been able to find a list or visualization of the 21 stores they've closed.

Also,
Typically people have previously just used locations.wafflehouse.com, but it looks like they're only listing open stores right now. Maybe they got tired of the slashdot effect.

Not too much to report here thus far. There was about 3" of rain today, but the last major rain was 9 hours ago. The wind has picked up, but it still isn't at tropical storm force yet. There's going to be strong wind and more rain all day tomorrow, giving way to a calm day on Friday.

The storm has moved on. This area didn't see too much additional rain, but it did catch tropical storm force winds for most of the day.

The crazy thing is that the low tonight is expected to be 62F (17C).

My house has been 69F all day. Alexa says it's supposed to get to 90F today, so I refuse to turn on the heater. Luckily, I've recently crocheted a bunch of blankets and stuff :D

The weather people in Houston screwed up the forecast. The thunderstorms were supposed to be out of here an hour ago. It has been raining and thunderstorms for the last 4 hours. It looks like there will be another 4 hours to go. And it is about to get serious.

The weather people in Houston screwed up the forecast. The thunderstorms were supposed to be out of here an hour ago. It has been raining and thunderstorms for the last 4 hours. It looks like there will be another 4 hours to go. And it is about to get serious.
Looks like much of it has moved more my way, we’ve got the rain 3 hours after is was supposed to start and will be continuing for the next several hours. I’ll take every single drop we can get though, it’s been very very dry here for months.

Starting tonight we’re getting blasted by snow. Like, to a crazy degree even for us. I have a flight out that leaves about 2 hours before it’s supposed to really start. I’m going to be on edge all day.

First day of "real" snow.
On the first actual snow day, I like to count how many spinouts I see on my 39mi/63km drive to work.
There were eight. Nine if you count the place where the guardrail was newly destroyed but they must've already towed that one away.
That's an average of just over one crash every 5mi/8km.

--Patrick

That poor Ariens.
For real, though. They're saying NY got 77in(195cm) of snow over the last 2-3 days, with another 12in(30cm) supposed to fall tonight.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
It's supposed to get down to 13 F here tomorrow night.

Who wants to take bets on whether the power grid holds up this time?

It's supposed to get down to 13 F here tomorrow night.

Who wants to take bets on whether the power grid holds up this time?
Well, Ted Cruz SHOULD have a good excuse this time, hopefully dealing with the mental health of his poor daughter. But considering how he probably contributed to it, I doubt he'll be giving either subject the attention they deserve. Keep an eye on the airports!

My drive home tonight in western Michigan:

blizdrive.gif

I know it's just a ~5sec looping .GIF, but you could seriously just replay it for about 45min and it would still be a fairly accurate representation of the majority of my actual drive.
EDIT: This was recorded at 4:30 in the afternoon, btw. And I’m on a side road because the freeway felt like it had one jackknifed semi about every five miles or so. The temperature was 3F/-30C.

--Patrick

Last edited:
My drive home tonight in western Michigan:

View attachment 43401
I know it's just a ~5sec looping .GIF, but you could seriously just replay it for about 45min and it would still be a fairly accurate representation of the majority of my actual drive.
EDIT: This was recorded at 4:30 in the afternoon, btw. And I’m on a side road because the freeway felt like it had one jackknifed semi about every five miles or so.

--Patrick
Videos like this make me happy to live in Texas.