[Webcomic] Webcomic Appreciation Jamboree

Forgive me... I'm channeling years of CCD and dealing with my Catholic family into this:

It's not that they can't, it's that they would have viewed such a thing as God's will and that she would be at his side, instead of with a bullet in her skull, 6-feet underground. And they can't fathom why she's bitter about everything that happened because they think Becky's father was justified. Ironically, this is because they are giving into pride... Becky's father was like them, so he must be right. But if they stepped back and looked at the situation, they would realize that it was pride that put that gun in his hand and the only reason he doesn't have a daughter anymore is because he refused to accept what was happening. This will never happen however, because that would require them to actually confront and examine their beliefs and that is something basically no one is willing to do.

And that's the hippocracy of ultra right wing Christianity: They believe that everything is God's will, but they will still treat you like shit for any involvement in it.
I had the thought that it was "oh, but she'd be in heaven then" thing, but even then you'd think they'd be upset to be separated from her. This is just psychotic.

I'm waiting for them to just say outright that they think Becky's father was doing the right thing, because even today's comic with Joyce getting mad at her brother is not Joyce snapping. I'm waiting for her to fucking snap. At times it feels like she's talking to children despite being the youngest person present.

Dumbing of Age: I swear this family cannot comprehend that they almost lost their daughter/sister.
to me it seems they like the facade of a happy little family with no conflicts to keep intact. Nobody shall be angry or use fowl language, always smiling and being friendly.

to me it seems they like the facade of a happy little family with no conflicts to keep intact. Nobody shall be angry or use fowl language, always smiling and being friendly.
No... today's strip has made it clear that Josh is at least a complete fucking hypocrite. I suspect tomorrow's strip will be some nonsense about his faith being rewarded instead of some actual self reflection regarding his theft from the hungry mouths of the poor.

I'm so done with this fucking family. Eldest brother clearly doesn't give a shit about Joyce and probably at their age difference and small amount of spending time together over the years, he barely regards her as his sister anyway.

He's also of the same shit-for-brains mentality where if you anything they disagree with, any level of consequence is acceptable. Joyce almost died. "Welp, that's what you get when you try to help the gays."

And like he's never gotten angry before. Bullshit. He didn't want to be there anyway; this was an obligation meeting his parents called him into.

No... today's strip has made it clear that Josh is at least a complete fucking hypocrite. I suspect tomorrow's strip will be some nonsense about his faith being rewarded instead of some actual self reflection regarding his theft from the hungry mouths of the poor.
You mean John, right? Josh/Jocelyne clearly hates conflict and is still defending Joyce...

Who else can't wait for Shauna and Lottie to do mystery stuff again in Scary Go Round? EMBRACE YOUR DESTINY! And seriously, every single teacher at that school of theirs needs to be fired like YESTERDAY!

And on Kevin and Kell, DRAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! YES-missed that classic hokey Holbrook story-telling!

Last edited:
I was working on Sunday, and Kati and I have a tradition of sending the other a text once we've read it (and also so the other knows it has finally updated). Her text came in early, but it took several hours before I finally had enough privacy to check it out so I could send my reply (in blue):
IMG_2025.gif

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
So Mary Cagle (of Let's Speak English) just dropped this bomb on everybody.

In a couple months, no more cutesy-funny slice-of-life fish-out-of-water Mary-sensei amongst the moon people stories.

Decided to give "Voodoo Walrus" another try...holy shit this writing is schizophrenic, I have NO idea what the fuck is going on most of the time.

Oh...oh my Satan, that ballooning...that AWFUL ballooning! How can art so good have ballooning THAT terrible?!

Last edited:
Hark a Vagrant hits it out of the park as usual, though one could say her mocking "Cloak and Dagger" is easy pickings, they are VERY silly.

I find it weird that "A Chipmunk and a Lizard ended" partially because I inspired them to do an event explaining why the characters wear masks. Weird feelings.

uuuuuuuuuuuuugh that's not how noses worrrrrrrrk stop it

e: Yeah there are "shades" to the face, but if your nose is that red people will assume your characters have a skin disease or a drinking problem. A little extra color isn't bad but drawing it like a Mister Potato Head nose that looks easily removable looks silly.

Last edited:
I generally don't care about the "tumblr" nose stuff... it's an established comic and cartooning style that's been in use FOR DECADES, but has really only come into style lately. It's not my bag, but it doesn't bother me ether.

GasBandit

Staff member
This instance, it's made doubly offensive to me because the nose is, for some reason, completely and darkly/heavily outlined... which makes it actually look like somebody has cut Erin's nose off.

GasBandit

Staff member
I am unfamiliar with this comic -- is the main character a crystal gem perhaps?
Har. It's yet another video game/misanthropy comic about a certifiably insane protagonist who has made a career tangentially connected to the video game industry.

So... basically it's CTRL-ALT-DEL with a pencil skirt.

And without walls of text.

Like most video game webcomics, there is nearly nothing special about it.

There are exceptions, of course, like Awkward Zombie or Brawl In The Family (before it ended). But this one's pretty run of the mill.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Like most video game webcomics, there is nearly nothing special about it.

There are exceptions, of course, like Awkward Zombie or Brawl In The Family (before it ended). But this one's pretty run of the mill.
Its most interesting story arc was the one where Erin had a psychotic break and started hallucinating video game characters in her everyday life, then recovered, then got romantically involved with a guy but pushed him away because of her fear of her issues, which he helped her overcome... and then it turned out
he was a hallucinated modern-day incarnation of Link all along. And she never realizes.

The concept spun off into another comic called Erin Dies Alone, which is an interesting read but updates slowly.

Its most interesting story arc was the one where Erin had a psychotic break and started hallucinating video game characters in her everyday life, then recovered, then got romantically involved with a guy but pushed him away because of her fear of her issues, which he helped her overcome... and then it turned out
he was a hallucinated modern-day incarnation of Link all along. And she never realizes.

The concept spun off into another comic called Erin Dies Alone, which is an interesting read but updates slowly.
It should be noted that the reason Critical Miss has a temp artist for a few months is so Erin Dies Alone can get 4 updates a week for awhile.