[Webcomic] Webcomic Appreciation Jamboree

I like 'em (Chas Addams would be proud, if a bit turned off by the chibi-ness), but I can't help but feel like I'm missing out on some gags due to not seeing any of the Ring movies, etc.

--Patrick

I like 'em (Chas Addams would be proud, if a bit turned off by the chibi-ness), but I can't help but feel like I'm missing out on some gags due to not seeing any of the Ring movies, etc.

--Patrick
Only one of those is based off The Ring; the rest is just general spooky movie child/ghost stuff. The jokes are in the reactions, not any particular references.

GasBandit

Staff member
What's this? A Jago webcomic that ISN'T an excuse to draw boobs?

Well, it would have to be a wiener joke though, wouldn't it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh man. My ears just started bleeding... I think I just heard thousands of Claire fangirls' squeeing pitch into the ultrasonic.

GasBandit

Staff member
That squeeing sound just got higher pitched. NSFW @ QC.com tonight.
Man, every time I peek in to see what's going on at the QC forums, I feel a little sullied... but this was the first time I came away with a diminished opinion of the author himself.

Not like he hasn't done tasteful nudity before.

Just outta curiosity, what was your beef with it? How it got to that point, or what?

(And if you can't figure out who I am over on those boards, you get an F on your next HFA exam...)

GasBandit

Staff member
Not like he hasn't done tasteful nudity before.

Just outta curiosity, what was your beef with it? How it got to that point, or what?

(And if you can't figure out who I am over on those boards, you get an F on your next HFA exam...)
My disappointment stems from the fact that, after making a comic update literally comprised entirely of a transgendered woman taking off her clothes and the reaction of her cishet lover, he immediately threatened all and sundry on his forum with banpocalypse if anybody even so much as mentioned a genital by name, much less discussed the character implications of the development.

It felt like he was out-kurtzing kurtz, tbh.

He's been touchy about that since the Hanners fanboi days. And the forums over there are both better run than anyone along the Kurtz axis could even dream of - with a lot less author interference. He does more interaction on Twitter and Tumblr than Quiznos OR Subway could ever dream of.

In fact, I'd call him the Chipotle of webcomics.

GasBandit

Staff member
Aww, does the poor widdle fragile artist have a problem with people thinking/talking about his creations in ways he doesn't like? Good thing he has his own personal legion of Joes to man the towers on the walls around his echo chamber. That way no fictional character ever need suffer the commentary of a flesh and blood human with ideas of its own.

Pfeh.

Heavy handed overmoderation really rubs me the wrong way. I'm no artist, but I wish I could borrow the talent to be so for an hour, so I could draw Hannelore being lowered feet-first into a wood chipper, only held aloft by her mouth's grip on Claire's dangling penis. I'd use a script to post it in every single thread in milliseconds, get it on paheal and rule34.xxx so it will NEVER die, and squander every last bit of my reddit karma linking to it in the QC subreddit in every comment thread.

Last edited:
Aww, does the poor widdle fragile artist have a problem with people thinking/talking about his creations in ways he doesn't like? Good thing he has his own personal legion of Joes to man the towers on the walls around his echo chamber. That way no fictional character ever need suffer the commentary of a flesh and blood human with ideas of its own.

Pfeh.

Heavy handed overmoderation really rubs me the wrong way. I'm no artist, but I wish I could borrow the talent to be so for an hour, so I could draw Hannelore being lowered feet-first into a wood chipper, only held aloft by her mouth's grip on Claire's dangling penis. I'd use a script to post it in every single thread in milliseconds, get it on paheal and rule34.xxx so it will NEVER die, and squander every last bit of my reddit karma linking to it in the QC subreddit in every comment thread.
I'd almost be willing to commission the art just so you could do that. :D

Pfeh.

Haha...oh man. Wow.

I had no idea there even was a QC forum until you guys mentioned it a few posts above. I only read the last 3 pages (hi, jwhouk!), but aside from some people getting shirty about Dale's intended ethnicity, it seemed pretty pleasant, even when people were disagreeing. Jeph didn't seem to be interfering with people's criticism of his art skills that I saw. If he's had problems in the past with people making inappropriate sexual remarks about his characters and wants to keep this a safe or PG-13 forum, I don't blame him. There's not a shortage of places on the internet where people make inappropriate, violent, derogatory remarks regarding women and/or someone's sexuality. (Like above, for example.)

GasBandit

Staff member
Of course, it looks all very pristine and tidy once all the evidence of the undesirables is scrubbed away. From some of the protestations I read, it wasn't "violent, inappropriate" things that got the axe, some of it was apparently normal conversation. The mods' excuse was "yeah, maybe it's overzealous, but this is Jeph's board not yours, so like it or leave it, the end."

I'm not privy to what went on in the past, so I can't argue that. I know that "normal" conversation can vary greatly from person to person, and not everyone has the same comfort level. QC, especially of late, has a cast that represents a lot of people who are usually treated like outcasts and has probably brought Jeph fans that who are more sensitive about those aspects. They're also more likely to be the ones buying books, his merchandise or going to meet him at cons. It would make sense, from a business perspective at least, that he'd want to keep his forum a place where said-fans can talk without feeling like they are derided more than they are in real life. It's possible the mods are over-zealous, but they may not want to take the chance of toeing the line.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not privy to what went on in the past, so I can't argue that. I know that "normal" conversation can vary greatly from person to person, and not everyone has the same comfort level. QC, especially of late, has a cast that represents a lot of people who are usually treated like outcasts and has probably brought Jeph fans that who are more sensitive about those aspects. They're also more likely to be the ones buying books, his merchandise or going to meet him at cons. It would make sense, from a business perspective at least, that he'd want to keep his forum a place where said-fans can talk without feeling like they are derided than they are in real life. It's possible the mods are over-zealous, but they may not want to take the chance of toeing the line.
WHY YOU ALWAYS GOTTA BE THE VOICE OF REASON TO MY BLOODTHIRSTY OVERREACTIONS, KELTSY?

The main difference between Jeph and Kurtz/Buckley is that Jeph nearly killed himself after criticism about a character's appearance.

A lot of the stuff in comic is autobiographical - except for the trans stuff (at least that I know).

And suddenly this afternoon, the Questionable Content forums went down. :(

Right now, page is reading:
Template Parse Error!

It seems something has gone sour on the forum with the template system. This problem should only be temporary, so please come back later and try again. If you continue to see this message, please contact the administrator.

You can also try refreshing this page.

Last edited: