Watch what apps you pirate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mickey is certainly a Trademarkable icon for them though.

Super-hero is another interesting trademark, one held jointly by DC and Marvel.

How can Disney trademark Snow White? They don't own the character, she's from a fable that is CLEARLY in the public domain.

As Tin mentioned, copyright and trademark aren't the same thing. I don't think you can trademark a story, as stories can't be used as representations of your brand or products, as opposed to a character or design of that character.
I made a very common mistake, but it does not belittle what I was telling him how Disney can copyright the image they created, and protect the story they told.

It is a rather pointless road to go down. Just distracts, not adds to the conversation.

I made a very common mistake, but it does not belittle what I was telling him how Disney can copyright the image they created, and protect the story they told.

It is a rather pointless road to go down. Just distracts, not adds to the conversation.
So what's their really doing is claiming ownership of Disney Presents Snow White, not the entire myth. So basically, the only thing you can't do is name the dwarves.

Then you could have just said this. Words matter when you're trying to convey information.

Hey, you could have just taken the correction with good grace and moved on.

Well this thread went sideways fast...

The point wasn't about if they needed to do it, but that making a game from original code doesn't matter.

And you can't loose copyright that easily any more, DC vs Fawcett made sure of that.

That's an incredibly terrible analogy. You're not making anything when you pirate software. You're taking the intellectual property of someone else without permission or payment. A better analogy would be, why write your own paper for a class, when you can just turn in someone else's.
That's why i made sure to say the hammer was a copy of the design for sale... devil's in the detail you know.

And i'm pretty sure i'm not using any game for material or academic gain, so your example is hardly better then the mine.

You want a really accurate one, why buy a book when i can just copy by hand the copy my friend has (or i could just borrow it and read it, still using it without buying, but i guess there's no copy being made).

Notice how I said for your own use.
Thing is, in the eyes of the law (in most places anyway) there's no difference, besides that when you do it for personal use it's harder for anyone to find out about it.
Added at: 07:03
They trademark the story they re-told with some changes
And yet there's no connecting your brain to cyberspace yet... should have known they would only be right about the bad stuff (to be fair, the bad stuff is 99% of what cyberpunk is about)...

Status
Not open for further replies.