Video Game News and Miscellany

Regarding Final Fantasy 16, I will say I'm disappointed by the aesthetics. Nice to see a return to the fantasy setting, but I miss the older games that were more cartoonish, fun, and didn't take themselves so seriously. Not including 14, the last time they did that was probably 9.

Then again, I'm probably biased because I'm largely a fan of the SNES era of Final Fantasy games more than any others.
Considering... things in the trailer and who is working on the title, it's suspected that 16 might actually be a prequel to 14. So we'll see if that goes.

Hogwarts: Legacy

Haven't seen this yet, or missed it.... Anyway, coming to every console out under the sun, and PC, and it's an action RPG open world etc etc thing set in Harry Potter's world in the late 1800s.
Trailer is nice enough, but it's all cutscene, no gameplay, so I'm still very much waiting to see what it turns out to play like. Stll, could be interesting.

Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist.

She's just gone into full-blown hyper-transphobia. Doubling down time and time again.

Trans-exclutionary Radical Feminist.
That is, she's in favor of women's rights but doesn't necessarily think those should also apply to trans people.

I have to say, her original comments on the matter were blown way out of proportion - pretty much saying "we used to have a word for people with vaginas, it's women". It may be wrong, but outside of a specific political gender discussion, it was more or less off the cuff unthinkingness.
Of course, she got blasted pretty badly for it on twitter and tumblr, and in a further response really doubled down on it, which pushes it straight (no pun intended) into actually problematic behavior.

I still think het comments were insensitive, but her attackers - at least the first wave - were more than happy to deny her her feelings and opinion, which stems partially from her own history as an abused woman and having to break free from men in her life. By which I do not mean to imply casual insensitivity is okay, or that her comments were okay.

Trans-exclutionary Radical Feminist.
That is, she's in favor of women's rights but doesn't necessarily think those should also apply to trans people.

I have to say, her original comments on the matter were blown way out of proportion - pretty much saying "we used to have a word for people with vaginas, it's women". It may be wrong, but outside of a specific political gender discussion, it was more or less off the cuff unthinkingness.
Of course, she got blasted pretty badly for it on twitter and tumblr, and in a further response really doubled down on it, which pushes it straight (no pun intended) into actually problematic behavior.

I still think het comments were insensitive, but her attackers - at least the first wave - were more than happy to deny her her feelings and opinion, which stems partially from her own history as an abused woman and having to break free from men in her life. By which I do not mean to imply casual insensitivity is okay, or that her comments were okay.
Oh Rowling's TERFness started way, way before that tweet. Which was this:

But even before that she was very open about being against trans rights. She views trans women as "not women" and a threat to women's rights, and has doubled down on that so many times that even her latest book is now about a cis man serial killer that dresses as a woman to hunt people. Because according to her, trans women are predators that just want access to women's bathrooms for nefarious reasons.

Seriously, fuck her.

Because according to her, trans women are predators that just want access to women's bathrooms for nefarious reasons.

Seriously, fuck her.
1.) This has never happened in the US. It was a lie made up by the... Family Rights Council I believe and even they've since admitted it was a lie.
2.) Why bother? Cis men have no problem storming into women's bathrooms already to rape/harm and generally don't receive punishment at all.
3.) Cis men have stormed into women's bathrooms and killed trans women.

So yeah, fuck Rowling.

I had to explain to a member of my family why these comments were offensive.

Just because the person making them is famous, doesn’t mean they get a pass. I hate that defense.

1.) This has never happened in the US. It was a lie made up by the... Family Rights Council I believe and even they've since admitted it was a lie.
2.) Why bother? Cis men have no problem storming into women's bathrooms already to rape/harm and generally don't receive punishment at all.
3.) Cis men have stormed into women's bathrooms and killed trans women.

So yeah, fuck Rowling.
Yeah, the "men will use this to enter bathrooms" defense never made sense to me. If they're going in there to rape and or perv, the wrong sign on the door won't stop them.
Having said that, this isn't a politics forum thread, so maybe we should take this elsewhere.

I'm still intrigued about the game.

I had to explain to a member of my family why these comments were offensive.

Just because the person making them is famous, doesn’t mean they get a pass. I hate that defense.
I would argue they should be given even less of a pass BECAUSE they're famous. She's highly rich and highly influential, with millions of followers. A U.S. senator used her words while blocking a bill for LGBT rights. That's power and influence right there, just for things she's said. And she should be rightly called out for it.

I would argue they should be given even less of a pass BECAUSE they're famous. She's highly rich and highly influential, with millions of followers. A U.S. senator used her words while blocking a bill for LGBT rights. That's power and influence right there, just for things she's said. And she should be rightly called out for it.
I agree. Someone with that kind of a platform should use it to send positive messages. Some people aren’t capable of that, so I would be totally happy if many celebrities would stick to no political messages.

If it helps ease anyone's conscience, since WB already paid for the licensing rights to Harry Potter, they do not have to pay individual royalties on the game. JKR has already made all she's going to make off of it. So you can check it out or not, it won't affect he either way.
*transitions back to lurker mode*

Wow. That's big. Sony and Microsoft going for the throat this generation.

We get Final Fantasy.

Oh yeah, well WE get Bethesda.

As primarily a PC player, I guess it really doesn't affect me but gosh darn.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Game Pass is the god damned bomb. They've announced a price increase to $10 a month but I've saved so much money using it it's still a good deal. Wasteland 3 alone is worth 6 months. And I also still have Outer Worlds, etc.

Worth it.

Bethesda is not the only game company ZeniMax owns. It is also the mother company of Arkane Studios, makers of Deathloop, Tango Gameworks, which is currently developing GhostWire: Tokyo and many more. Microsoft wants to make sure to have as many exclusive titles as possible.

All games currently announced will be coming out for all the consoles they've been announced for, according to the story.