Video Game News and Miscellany

GasBandit

Staff member
I remember when I thought 20 fps was more than plenty, and 30fps was all anyone could hope for. Ha ha ha ha ha...

Oh man... that shit is UNPLAYABLE now.

figmentPez

Staff member
60Hz vs 240Hz gaming, does it make a difference?
Yes it does.

More high speed camera testing of gaming hardware. This time, do wireless mice have more input lag than wired?

For Logitech and Corsair's current lines of gaming mice? No. For the one non-gaming Logitech mouse they tested? Yes.

Problem I had with wireless mice wasn't to do with lag but remembering to charge the things.

Which I could then plug in and use, in some cases, while it charged.

Making it wired.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Problem I had with wireless mice wasn't to do with lag but remembering to charge the things.

Which I could then plug in and use, in some cases, while it charged.

Making it wired.
You must not be the only one, considering that Logitech and Corsair both offer wireless charging mousepads, so that users never have to remember to charge their mouse.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's why I got the mouse that plugs in the charger at its tip, but is still useable as a wired mouse while it charges. That way a dead battery doesn't stop play, but I can still go wireless again ASAP.

Oh I feel this article in my bones. We've done some video game localization work at my translation company, which I've often ranted about, but when we manage to think of a good name or term, or translate a difficult pun-filled line, that feeling is absolutely orgasmic.
I figured the article would speak to you, especially.
I sometimes wonder what it would be like to try to translate Doña Inés, because that story would demand keeping the feel as much as the words.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Really hoping I've got the right thread this time. Highlights from AGDQ. Well worth a watch for some amazing speedrunning, and some funny moments.

Because we only have 1 device, I had a question: what happens if you have multiple devices? Aside from cloud saves (which may or may not be a thing, not important to the question), can you "log in" to your Nintendo account on both devices, and play in either spot? Or are you "locked" to one device for games you've bought?

This could be an interesting option for a couple (or something) who sometimes want to play at their house, sometimes on the road, and sometimes both of them want to play things. But only if your games are available on both. How does this work now?

Edit: Answer here: https://en-americas-support.nintend.../a_id/15997/~/nintendo-account-overview-&-faq

It appears that you can play on all devices everywhere if you link your account, but only one device is the "primary" one where other people can play your games. So that's interesting. There appears to be some type of "automatic" cloud saving if you have an active subscription, which may sync between them too, which is good.

Because we only have 1 device, I had a question: what happens if you have multiple devices? Aside from cloud saves (which may or may not be a thing, not important to the question), can you "log in" to your Nintendo account on both devices, and play in either spot? Or are you "locked" to one device for games you've bought?

This could be an interesting option for a couple (or something) who sometimes want to play at their house, sometimes on the road, and sometimes both of them want to play things. But only if your games are available on both. How does this work now?

Edit: Answer here: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15997/~/nintendo-account-overview-&-faq

It appears that you can play on all devices everywhere if you link your account, but only one device is the "primary" one where other people can play your games. So that's interesting. There appears to be some type of "automatic" cloud saving if you have an active subscription, which may sync between them too, which is good.
I think it's fine to require buying games multiple times across devices if there are separate main accounts. The main console that actually hooks up to the TV should 100% allow access to everything, but if my husband had his own handheld, it's kind of silly to not have him buy his own games for it. Of course I say this as someone living in a household that has 4 copies of Animal Crossing, and 2 copies of a lot of other 3DS and computer games just so that my husband and I can actually play them at the same time instead of having to wait to share.

I think it's fine to require buying games multiple times across devices if there are separate main accounts. The main console that actually hooks up to the TV should 100% allow access to everything, but if my husband had his own handheld, it's kind of silly to not have him buy his own games for it. Of course I say this as someone living in a household that has 4 copies of Animal Crossing, and 2 copies of a lot of other 3DS and computer games just so that my husband and I can actually play them at the same time instead of having to wait to share.
I don't have a problem with needing multiple copies for simultaneous play, but I DO have a bit of a problem with no concept of "family ownership" of games. For example, if in the Game Boy era, you were FORCED to have cartridges of everything, but "ownership" was communal. With a few exceptions (siblings "owning" a game, as it was given for their B'day, Christmas, etc), any game could be on any device at any time. It was "essentially" family ownership. But with the digital age, that concept is not a "Default" for families anymore. The "primary console" thing is fine, so you have a clearinghouse, but you can't have a game I bought playing on somebody "else's" secondary console. And you'd need to curate who's stuff is where, etc. And gifts? @Dirona and I have bought stuff on our own accounts, but it's for the other person as a gift. If we got a 2nd console, some of that would go weird.

Good on Nintendo for already doing "your stuff is yours, everywhere" but I'd like a "family's stuff is family, everywhere" concept. One copy, one running instance is fine, so multiple necessary for anything that's not local multiplayer, but that's no different than the cartridge era. Yes the Switch HAS cartridges, but that's so much less convenient for every reason except this.

They also integrated a D-Pad. Something they should have done already with the regular Switch. But apparently it was easier and cheaper to give Hori a licence to do so.

HD Rumble is also removed. So you can't play any games that required HD Rumble which is only one I believe. And that is not a big loss honestly.

I personally always liked the variety where you could do multiplayer with one copy, but needed separate copies for separate solo games at the same time.

I don't have a problem with needing multiple copies for simultaneous play, but I DO have a bit of a problem with no concept of "family ownership" of games. For example, if in the Game Boy era, you were FORCED to have cartridges of everything, but "ownership" was communal. With a few exceptions (siblings "owning" a game, as it was given for their B'day, Christmas, etc), any game could be on any device at any time. It was "essentially" family ownership. But with the digital age, that concept is not a "Default" for families anymore. The "primary console" thing is fine, so you have a clearinghouse, but you can't have a game I bought playing on somebody "else's" secondary console. And you'd need to curate who's stuff is where, etc. And gifts? @Dirona and I have bought stuff on our own accounts, but it's for the other person as a gift. If we got a 2nd console, some of that would go weird.

Good on Nintendo for already doing "your stuff is yourxs, everywhere" but I'd like a "family's stuff is family, everywhere" concept. One copy, one running instance is fine, so multiple necessary for anything that's not local multiplayer, but that's no different than the cartridge era. Yes the Switch HAS cartridges, but that's so much less convenient for every reason except this.
I mean, all you're talking about is buying the physical copy and swapping it between systems, which is still a thing.

They also integrated a D-Pad. Something they should have done already with the regular Switch. But apparently it was easier and cheaper to give Hori a licence to do so.

HD Rumble is also removed. So you can't play any games that required HD Rumble which is only one I believe. And that is not a big loss honestly.
Rumble is almost always the first thing I turn off unless it's absolutely essential.

I mean, all you're talking about is buying the physical copy and swapping it between systems, which is still a thing.
Right, but if you've gone fully digital, and then bring a 2nd device in, then you're pretty much in an "oh fuck" situation, that's what I'm getting at.

Right, but if you've gone fully digital, and then bring a 2nd device in, then you're pretty much in an "oh fuck" situation, that's what I'm getting at.
The problem with this becomes the need to verify who your family is. Nintendo already has family set ups, but since you don't need to prove you are a family, the internet at large is sharing online family plans left and right, which is likely what would happen with games, and then Nintendo would lose a lot of money. So how do you prove that you live together? IP tracking isn't going to work well, especially with a portable system, since people don't always stay in one place. Do you want to actually send proof of familial relationship to Nintendo to get them to link your accounts?

Really the solution is to just use one account to buy everything on, and just link that account to both consoles, but it's not a great option when you want to multiplayer with each other.

Before, you had a game cartridge and a save cartridge, and the two existed as separate things that you could mix-n-match, so everyone could have their own saved games and everyone could share the executable (just maybe not all at the same time). But with cloud saves and account sign-ins, these two things are no longer separate. Add to that the restriction of an account to a specific device (or set of devices), and the freedom to play can indeed get rather narrow.

--Patrick

Before, you had a game cartridge and a save cartridge, and the two existed as separate things that you could mix-n-match, so everyone could have their own saved games and everyone could share the executable (just maybe not all at the same time). But with cloud saves and account sign-ins, these two things are no longer separate. Add to that the restriction of an account to a specific device (or set of devices), and the freedom to play can indeed get rather narrow.

--Patrick
Wait, in what universe was there a separate save cartridge?