Video Game News and Miscellany

I think another part of it is that Keanu is a big star, and he features in movies that gamers will typically enjoy. (John Wick series, Matrix series, etc) Thus, in an era where game devs are increasingly trying to insert celebrities into their games, this big geek-friendly superstar will make bigger waves than other actors.

Other examples of movie stars having their voices and likenesses in games that I can think of include Burt Reynolds, Keith David, and Roddy Piper in Saints Row, Kevin Spacey in Call of Duty, Jean Reno and Takeshi Kaneshiro in Onimusha, etc. But none of these people have the star power of Keanu Reeves.
I've always meant to google Keith David, but I've never gotten around to it. I have no idea who he is, and was never even certain (until right now, I guess) he wasn't just a fictional celebrity like Nyte Blade.

Keanu has been the darling of memers and and reddit for years. Spends a lot of his money for charities, is down to earth and approachable.
I think it all started with the sad Keanu meme.

I mean Keith David's only had a career spanning 40 years. Mostly as a supporting and character actor, rather than a lead. But he almost always is a plus to a movie, rather than a minus.

Absolutely TONS of voice work, too.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0202966/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Two big roles in games: Admiral David Anderson in the Mass Effect series, and The Arbiter in the Halo series.

The Imam in Pitch Black and Chronicles of RIddick

Spawn in that weird-ass HBO animated series

Goliath in Disney's Gargoyles

Childs in John Carpenter's The Thing (1982)

King in Oliver Stone's Platoon (1986)

Sgt. Cantrell in Sam Raimi's The Quick and The Dead (the gunslinger movie with Sharon Stone, Leonardo Di Caprio, Russell Crowe, Gene Hackman)

and a few dozen others.

I've always meant to google Keith David, but I've never gotten around to it. I have no idea who he is, and was never even certain (until right now, I guess) he wasn't just a fictional celebrity like Nyte Blade.
I thought at first you meant “Larry David” and I thought boy are you about to be disappointed,

—Patrick

I knew him first from Men At Work. :D

—Patrick
Oh yeah.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't *ever* mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries. Now, you remember that, and you will live a long and healthy life."

figmentPez

Staff member
and a few dozen others.
Including his role most relevant to Saints Row, namely playing opposite Roddy Piper in "They Live" (The movie that gave us the quote, "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. ")

Without wanting to diminish him, though, the name didn't ring any bells. Keanu is far better known than Keith Davis. Or King David, or whatever.

figmentPez

Staff member
Konami has announced a TurboGrafx-16 mini. It's Konami, so they'll probably find some way to fail at this, but the announced games are:

In both NA/Europe and Japan:
- Ys Book I & II
- Dungeon Explorer

NA/Europe only:
- R-Type
- New Adventure Island
- Ninja Spirit
- Alien Crush

Japan only:
- Bonk’s Adventure
- Dracula X
- The Kung Fu/China Warrior
- Super Star Soldier

figmentPez

Staff member
The biggest dissapointment of E3, for me, was that 8Bitdo doesn't seem to have been there at all. I was really hoping to get an update on their Pro+ model controller.

How do you put Bonk's Adventure on only the Japan one? What the shit?

I'm hoping for weird games like Final Lap Twin, Silent Debuggers and less weird gems like Military Madness and Devil's Crush, which is FAAAAR superior to Alien Crush.

Devil's Crush rules.

The lawsuit between Stardock and the Star Control original coders has been settled.
As much as it pains me to see Stardock get anything out of that deal, I'm glad it's over.

Star Control Origins, outside of the controversy, is still just a shitty imitation of Star Control that takes all of the gameplay and beats of Star Control 2 and makes them less fun and more cumbersome.

Konami has announced a TurboGrafx-16 mini. It's Konami, so they'll probably find some way to fail at this, but the announced games are:

In both NA/Europe and Japan:
- Ys Book I & II
- Dungeon Explorer

NA/Europe only:
- R-Type
- New Adventure Island
- Ninja Spirit
- Alien Crush

Japan only:
- Bonk’s Adventure
- Dracula X
- The Kung Fu/China Warrior
- Super Star Soldier

What a disappointing list. Man my hand-held Turbografx, bunch of games and a case of AA batteries were a mind-saver during Desert Stupidity.

Why do some believe Nintendo about this, rather than just lying out their asses about delays?
Because I've never heard of Nintendo being caught in an outright lie before.

Not IMO. Quick google: https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/6/16612080/youtube-nintendo-super-mario-odyssey-demonetization

And I've never heard anything that says they're any better to their developers than any other software house, especially Japanese ones (sweatshops). If you've heard differently, great, please inform us.
Yeah, the way they treat YouTuber's is shitty & I'm not going to try and defend that - but I will say that while they treat non-employees badly they do seem to value their employees.

Just do a quick Google search for "Nintendo bosses pay cut" to see the way top bosses took pay cuts rather than lay off staff when the 3DS & WiiU were struggling.

I could accept the new style choice if the game was even remotely like the previous series, but it's just some quick cash grab mobile game so...