Video Game News and Miscellany

GasBandit

Staff member
My number was way off. If it's first 50k sales and sales are $60, then it would be like $3 million, unless Epic is giving them like $40 a game.
I think the figure is based on their previous kickstarter/patreon income being approx $2 million, and the dev saying that thanks to the Epic deal, they could give all that back and "still be in the black." Of course, he could have been mistaken/misremembering how much money they'd actually collected.

Those Phoenix Point fucks took Kickstarter money from people promising the PC platforms of their choice.
Yeah, if I were a backer, I would be pissed by this. Financially, I get it. $2 million is a lot of money but saying "If we had to refund 100% of currently pre-orders, we'd still be in the black" is basically saying "Fuck you, we're making money without you. But hey, thanks for helping us make the game!"

Those Phoenix Point fucks took Kickstarter money from people promising the PC platforms of their choice.

And according to the developer, they can still choose any PC platform!

...after an extra year of waiting for it to stop being an Epic exclusive.

You're welcome.

GasBandit

Staff member
Am I the only one that doesn't care if something is epic exclusive? Steam has become a shitshow, so any competition to force valve off their ass is a good thing to me.
I think I've posted this somewhere else, but, I don't even like having to run steam. I'll put up with it because it's got the majority of games I want. But all the others - Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, even GOG galaxy and ESPECIALLY "harvest your data and send it to tencent" Epic can GTFO. I'm sick and tired of having to run programs to run my programs. If a pc dev wants my money, they best be selling on steam. 70% of some of my money will get them more than 85% of me pirating. I might buy something off discord, though, seeing as how I'm already running it anyway for voice comms.

There's no such thing as a "steam exclusive." Valve doesn't require exclusivity. The last thing PC gaming needs is console-style exclusivity wars.

And at least steam has things like a functioning friends list and multiplayer API that makes joining friends playing a game easy as two clicks. Epic doesn't have that.

And if you think refunds on steam are a hassle, wait til you get a load of Epic.

any competition to force valve off their ass is a good thing to me.
Any competition, you say?

(This was just announced today at their big event shindig)

I’m with Gas in that I don’t know if what the world really needs is more gaming platforms. We’ll see what happens.

You know what we need now? We need someone to mock up some battle royale-style parody game footage where the combatants are all the different game services...Stame, Epoch, Erigen, GiG, Blozzard, etc. But who would distribute it? Hmm...

—Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, it looks like Street fighter 4 with blood instead of paint splatters. I hope it retains the gameplay of the originals.

GasBandit

Staff member
The next Divinity game looks to pick up where Divinity: Original Sin 2 left off, with the same characters and everything.

Also the boat is an airship now.

The next Divinity game looks to pick up where Divinity: Original Sin 2 left off, with the same characters and everything.

Also the boat is an airship now.
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

I wonder how this'll work in terms of story though. I guess the "fallen heroes" part of the title refers to the resurrection of some of the Godwoken, because it's inevitable that some of them would have died in D:OS2?

Also, it looks like the same engine, with even some locations in the trailer looking suspiciously like areas visited in D:OS2. I don't mind, really, because it probably means the game won't be much more taxing than D:OS2, and being able to revisit some of the areas from the previous game sounds interesting.

Finally, please let Lohse sing again. Pretty please.

From Software's next game rumours:

-Published by Bamco
-Fully open world
-A bunch of kingdoms you can go to in any order.
-Get abilities from killing leaders of these kingdoms.
-Might be announced at e3.
-George RR Martin is one of the lead writers

GasBandit

Staff member
Yacht Club (Shovel Knight) has shown off their next game.

This looks incredible.
So if Shovel Knight was basically Mega Man plus Castlevania with a smidge of Duck Tales, this one kinda looks like Ninja Gaiden plus.... I dunno, Kabuki Quantum Fighter with a dash of Life Force? Looks like it could be pretty cooOHMYGODISTHATAREDHEADNINJAWAIFU I'm sold.

Yeah this is Ninja Gaiden meets NES Batman meet Kabuki Quantum Fighter meets Shatterhand meets Project: Vice. Looks fun.
With some NES Strider and Natsume's Shadow of the Ninja.

Seriously this looks like all my favorite NES games had an orgy and produced this.

If this had come out in 1990, every game reviewer would have jizzed in their pants.

Seriously this looks like all my favorite NES games had an orgy and produced this.

If this had come out in 1990, every game reviewer would have jizzed in their pants.
You are 100% accurate.

figmentPez

Staff member
Watch this trailer and see if you can spot what made me start laughing...

Well, Evil Ryu and Evil Ken got me to roll my eyes, but the motion controlled, first person, "Way of the Hado" mode was got me to really bust out laughing. WHY?

GasBandit

Staff member
but the motion controlled, first person, "Way of the Hado" mode was got me to really bust out laughing. WHY?
Probably the same capcom designer who thought it was a good idea to use the DS's mic to make you physically yell OBJECTION out loud in public to actually object in that Phoenix Wright sequel.

figmentPez

Staff member
Also, if Evil Ryu is Wa-Ryu, then I wonder if someone misheard Wario at some point and decided they needed to make it happen.

Except for this one oddball who gives it a 6/10 but a licensed game by LJN a 8/10.