Video Game News and Miscellany

I have discovered something that will improve everyones gaming experience, listen to the NFL Films sound track while playing and it makes any game amazing. Try it!

I keep meaning to play it. I loved Telltale games. And I loved Fables the comic...for awhile, until it turned into a franchise with spin-offs and such.

Plus, the co-creator/writer Bill Willingham is a massive, misogynisic Conservative douchnozzle. Which kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth to try anything he's even tangentially involved in.

GasBandit

Staff member
If you have any Cities: Skylines mods by a guy called Chaos, you might wanna go remove them NOW.

In 2021, a modder going by the name of Chaos launched a “redesigned” version of a mod called Harmony, a vital framework project that most mods in Cities: Skylines rely upon to function.

Chaos also then “redesigned” several popular mods for the game, and listed his modified version of Harmony as a core download – meaning that players would have to go and download it for any dependent mods to work.

However, it’s been discovered that an automatic updater was buried in this version of Harmony, which would allow Chaos to deliver malware to the devices of anyone that downloaded it. Other malicious code was used to cripple the performance of other mods, which in turn caused players to download more of Chaos’ mods as they were advertised as solutions to these issues. This was discovered when some of the affected modders who, after receiving reports of slow performance from fans, found the malicious code.

figmentPez

Staff member
The "pixel perfect" versions of the Final Fantasy games continue to be a really low-effort cash grab.

You might look at this and think, "Hey, SquareEnix is listening to fans. They made sure to keep the 'bug' that allowed Sabin to Suplex the Phantom Train." However, if you take a closer look you'll notice they didn't get it quite right. Sabin is supposed to turn the enemy upside down when he slams them into the ground, but the train remains upright.

<SARCASM> Such attention to detail. Truly perfect, down to the pixel. </SARCASM>

figmentPez

Staff member
Steam is changing it's rules on game discounts.

The article leads with the change that blocks discounts more than 90% and less than 10%, but I found some of the other rules far more interesting. Here's the full list:

- You can run a launch discount, but once your launch discount ends, you cannot run any other discounts for 28 days.
- It is not possible to discount your product for 28 days following a price increase in any currency.
- Discounts cannot be run within 28 days of your prior discount, with the exception of Steam-wide seasonal events.
- Discounts for seasonal sale events cannot be run within 28 days of releasing your title, within 28 days from when your launch discount ends, or within 28 days of a price increase in any currency.
- You may not change your price while a promotion is live now or scheduled for the future.
- It is not possible to discount a product by more than 90% or less than 10%.
- Custom discounts cannot last longer than two weeks, or run for shorter than 1 day.

Looks like Valve is tired of publishers jacking up game prices and then doing huge discounts, in order to make the game stand out during sales.

This goes here? I guess?

I wonder if Emo Philips gets a cameo?
The base table itself is about $8500, and the accessories that make it Al-specific add another $3k or so to that total.
...but damn, if I had money to build a basement, this would be the second table I'd add (after Addams' Family), just because.

--Patrick

You could buy 4-6 classic, time tested tables for the price of that and I'm 100% not sold on that play space. Like 1/2 the table space is empty screen.

If I understand correctly, it's not a 100% custom table? It's a modular table where playfields can be switched out like cartridges/controller overlays. Here's the over-the-top, gritty promo for the P3 platform:

I agree that it's not as cool as having a dedicated Williams Weird Al table, but if we're talking a reality where I have the disposable money to get one, I'd still get one, just because Al has figured so prominently in my family's lives.

--Patrick

This goes here? I guess?

I wonder if Emo Philips gets a cameo?
The base table itself is about $8500, and the accessories that make it Al-specific add another $3k or so to that total.
...but damn, if I had money to build a basement, this would be the second table I'd add (after Addams' Family), just because.

--Patrick
Hey, another Addam's Family fan! I played quite a bit for a while in college. If I had the money and space for a pinball machine, that would be it.
I'm not a fan of the digital pinball, though. The cool thing about pinball is all the mechanical gadgets. Digital just looks so boring (and also potentially migraine triggering).

Hey, another Addam's Family fan!
It is my opinion that Addams' Family is THE best table ever made. There is SO much to do, the voice acting is contextually spot on, and it has replayability until the Festers come home without overloading the playfield with garbage. It's also very approachable--even a first-timer can complete enough of the challenges to feel rewarded for playing without having to first learn all the arcane combos and unlocks, but they're there if anyone wants to invest the time to get that ridiculously high score.

--Patrick

If I understand correctly, it's not a 100% custom table? It's a modular table where playfields can be switched out like cartridges/controller overlays. Here's the over-the-top, gritty promo for the P3 platform:

I agree that it's not as cool as having a dedicated Williams Weird Al table, but if we're talking a reality where I have the disposable money to get one, I'd still get one, just because Al has figured so prominently in my family's lives.

--Patrick
I mean sure, but even JUST the Weird Al kit is more expensive than some good classic tables, even without having to pay the startup costs for the table itself. It's EXTREMELY expensive for a modular pinball table whose tables aren't even that interesting looking to play.

It's no Addam's Family or Star Trek TNG (my favourite table of all time).

Ooh, new Humble Choice. Let's see what we have.

Dark Pictures Man of Medan. Okay, not bad. Not bad.
Deperados 3? Heard it's okay. Might cash that in.
Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl? LOL, I might just for a laugh.

Ooooooh, Mass Effect Legendary Edition. HELL Y...wait.

*pause*

Fucking hell, redeemable only through Origin. FUCK YOU, Humble.

If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure even if you launch it in steam it still makes you launch origin for it.
It does, which is still a pain in the ass, but at least it would've been listed in my Steam library. I have games on Origin, Epic, Ubisoft Connect, and even GoG that I keep forgetting I have.

It does, which is still a pain in the ass, but at least it would've been listed in my Steam library. I have games on Origin, Epic, Ubisoft Connect, and even GoG that I keep forgetting I have.
I have good news! You can add non-steam games to your steam library and launch them from there!

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't like running more than one always-on-DRM solution on my PC. I don't even like doing so with steam, but I suffer it because of the low prices.