Video Game News and Miscellany

With you there, suddenly people care more about dumb inanimate figures than the actual games.
There really haven't ever been a large amount of high quality Nintendo brand toys on the market before. It's not surprising that both old and new fans alike want them when the choice has always been this or dollar store junk.

It started recently again with that kid's game for that video game, Nintendo saw how much cash that raked in and all the man-childs go out in droves and buy this useless crap and showcase it like it's important.

It's not. It'll be on a stand until you'll forget about it.

One day you'll pick it up and go... "so much dust on this."

That's if you're the type who opens then... then there's another level of sadness where they keep in the the boxes until they are worth something one day in the closet of abandonment.

It started recently again with that kid's game for that video game, Nintendo saw how much cash that raked in and all the man-childs go out in droves and buy this useless crap and showcase it like it's important.

It's not. It'll be on a stand until you'll forget about it.

One day you'll pick it up and go... "so much dust on this."

That's if you're the type who opens then... then there's another level of sadness where they keep in the the boxes until they are worth something one day in the closet of abandonment.
You could really use the "dust" scenario for most toys and games.

These are supposed to be toys (and disguised DLC, but that wasn't the case at first). Child or adult, use them as you please when they're toys. What annoys me is people buying these up to A. collect, collect, collect, or B. buying them to then resell them at a higher price. Because the people not taking them out of the package; they aren't waiting years to cash in. They're buying as much stock of them as they can so the people who want them can't have them unless they pay extra.

The DLC part annoys me--there shouldn't be special weapons and outfits (Splatoon) or a quarter of the game's characters (Code Name Steam) locked behind $15 figurines that are difficult to get ahold of. If Nintendo wants to do DLC like the other companies, fine, but just make it downloadable instead of punishing people for not pre-ordering fast enough or being willing to buy from scalpers on eBay.

I do wish the Amiibos did more on Smash Bros; I tried using Mega Man, but I can't distinguish his Amiibo's behavior from a regular CPU opponent.

Yes, it's pathetic.
Just wait, people did this with the Wii all the time.
There will be more.
If not, more money to buy other stuff.
Like a PC.

Zappit

Staff member
Eventually, they'll make better use of Amiibo. I do believe Nintendo just thought Skylander money would look good on them, and rushed the idea. There's more and more coming along. And those figures are pretty damn good looking.

But it's getting shameless. Those yarn Yoshi Amiibo, which will probably be frickin' unicorns, are needed to unlock the multiplayer mode in the next Yoshi game. The other Amiibos unlock other things like character skins. I like the idea of the little bonuses, but come on. That's just too much.

That production issue won't go away. Know how the Amazon experience was for Lucina and Robin? Supply was so low on those, they were literally gone within seconds. Since they were my top targets, I caved and paid slightly above MSRP and ordered from a Japanese vendor. Other than that, I managed to get myself (and my brother) the entire wave. I'm dumbstruck, given how badly I struck out before with wave 3. But I'm enjoying the hunt.

It does appear, however, that Nintendo is going to print much more affordable card versions of the Amiibos in the near future because they simply can't keep up with demand.

But it's getting shameless. Those yarn Yoshi Amiibo, which will probably be frickin' unicorns, are needed to unlock the multiplayer mode in the next Yoshi game. The other Amiibos unlock other things like character skins. I like the idea of the little bonuses, but come on. That's just too much.
That's fucked up. Locking multiplayer behind a $15 limited edition paywall is just fucked up, especially for a children's game. If they did something like that to a game I was looking forward to, I'd be pissed.

I feel like if I had the Fire Emblem characters available in Code Name Steam, it would be motivation enough for me to try and finish it because they're characters I already care about. But to get them at sale price would total $60, and at scalper rates, between $150 to $200.

Fuck. That.

Zappit

Staff member
Well, you just know they're going to play a (big?) role in the next FE game, particularly since it appears there might be 2 versions of the game. (One for one side of the war, and another for the other side.)

Maybe, just maybe, they put out a big reprint to help promote the new FE, since they now know the demand is there and that the franchise is going to do well in the States.

Well, you just know they're going to play a (big?) role in the next FE game, particularly since it appears there might be 2 versions of the game. (One for one side of the war, and another for the other side.)

Maybe, just maybe, they put out a big reprint to help promote the new FE, since they now know the demand is there and that the franchise is going to do well in the States.
The next Fire Emblem will have three versions; one side, the other side, and then a complete version which includes a third, neutral path.

They may include letting you get those characters; I have no idea how much of the Outrealms features will be present in the next game. I understand it's a hard balance for Nintendo--they want the Amiibos to have some game value, but also not to be cutting off necessary stuff. I think Mario Kart 8 was the best way to go about it; the costumes are essentially a bonus if you already have the Amiibo, but not a reason to get it. If enough games have such small bonuses, then the Amiibo was worth it. The kind of content that's getting locked out though is the kind of stuff for which we'd ream EA.

The next Fire Emblem will have three versions; one side, the other side, and then a complete version which includes a third, neutral path.

They may include letting you get those characters; I have no idea how much of the Outrealms features will be present in the next game. I understand it's a hard balance for Nintendo--they want the Amiibos to have some game value, but also not to be cutting off necessary stuff. I think Mario Kart 8 was the best way to go about it; the costumes are essentially a bonus if you already have the Amiibo, but not a reason to get it. If enough games have such small bonuses, then the Amiibo was worth it. The kind of content that's getting locked out though is the kind of stuff for which we'd ream EA.
We'll see how it goes... there is plenty of time for Nintendo and other 3rd parties to make enough content to work with Amiibos (and Nintendo should really be paying people to make content for existing Amiibos) to make them worth buying if you just wanted them for THAT, but it really just depends on how proactive they are about it. They clearly want to sell these thing and they certainly want people to HAVE them, so I suspect they'll do some cool stuff in the future.

I guess I'm pretty meh about the whole thing because I got the only Amiibo I wanted and it's doing what I want it to. I pre-ordered Megaman a few days after he was announced, in-store... picked him up a few months later with no problem (no angry people because the store only got enough to fulfill pre-orders and just didn't put them on the shelves to prevent a robbery). Looked online, saw his price was only hitting like $60 so I opened my box and now Rock is sitting above my computer, watching me.

I don't even own a WiiU. I just wanted him for my shelf because there has never been an affordable Megaman statue/toy I could get for my shelf because it's one of my favorite franchises and I miss getting new, quality games. I paid 15 bucks, got exactly what I wanted, and I don't have anything to feel bad about. It's a toy... I take it down and mess with it if I want, but he's doing exactly what I want as it is.

We'll see how it goes... there is plenty of time for Nintendo and other 3rd parties to make enough content to work with Amiibos (and Nintendo should really be paying people to make content for existing Amiibos) to make them worth buying if you just wanted them for THAT, but it really just depends on how proactive they are about it. They clearly want to sell these thing and they certainly want people to HAVE them, so I suspect they'll do some cool stuff in the future.

I guess I'm pretty meh about the whole thing because I got the only Amiibo I wanted and it's doing what I want it to. I pre-ordered Megaman a few days after he was announced, in-store... picked him up a few months later with no problem (no angry people because the store only got enough to fulfill pre-orders and just didn't put them on the shelves to prevent a robbery). Looked online, saw his price was only hitting like $60 so I opened my box and now Rock is sitting above my computer, watching me.

I don't even own a WiiU. I just wanted him for my shelf because there has never been an affordable Megaman statue/toy I could get for my shelf because it's one of my favorite franchises and I miss getting new, quality games. I paid 15 bucks, got exactly what I wanted, and I don't have anything to feel bad about. It's a toy... I take it down and mess with it if I want, but he's doing exactly what I want as it is.
No, I feel you; I bought Mega Man for the same reason (albeit I have been a fan for much less time). Same with Toon Link, because I love the little guy. I originally wanted the Fire Emblem ones for the Code Name Steam DLC and because I like the characters, but regardless of reason, that's just not happening. My wife loves the Inklings and that was her chief reason for getting the Amiibos, although we get the bonus of 20 exclusive missions and the gear those missions unlock.

I just think it's unfortunate that there's this balance of locking people out of game content vs making the Amiibos worthwhile from a gameplay standpoint.

I don't think Nintendo has to worry about selling them though. So long as they keep the supply limited and don't tell us which Amiibos will get re-issues outside of their main characters, people will snap them up fast as they can. The guy ahead of my wife at Gamestop asked for one of each of the new Amiibos. I really doubt he cares about a silver-coated Mario; he just knew this would be his only chance to get them.

There's apparently a completely without sources other than Youtubers rumour out there that Microsoft has purchased exclusivity for Konami to make Silent Hills. Which of course will be amazing without Kojima and Del Toro and likely be farmed out to whatever shitty for hire developer in England wants to make it. Starring another bad song by Korn.

SHOCKING UPDATE: It isn't true.

Last edited:
I wonder, since they're moving away from the game market, if Konami WOULD be willing to sell the rights to Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and others.

Probably not. :(

It'd be wisest for Konami to just sell the franchises and move on. Just a matter of how stubborn they are.

Capcom, please sell Mega Man to Nintendo. Please, please, goddammit, please.

In other Capcom news.

I don't know what's worse, that there's already a new Monster Hunter game coming that looks amazing, or that I want it even though I haven't finished top ranks of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Fortunately the soonest it would be coming to the west is sometime in 2016, but still ... the action looks even better than MH4U, and they're mixing monsters from MH3 and MH4 ... I want it, damn me.

Awwww yeah, pooches. It's X-Com sequel time. AND, it's coming to PC first!

To borrow a line from Steven Universe that has now become a meme:

"Snake people, or sneople, control our government at the highest level."

Also, what the fuck happened, Earth?!!? I'll have to be patient and wait for the PS4 version, but something went really wrong if we're now under the dictatorship of cobra aliens.

To borrow a line from Steven Universe that has now become a meme:

"Snake people, or sneople, control our government at the highest level."

Also, what the fuck happened, Earth?!!? I'll have to be patient and wait for the PS4 version, but something went really wrong if we're now under the dictatorship of cobra aliens.
I'm guessing that yet another race showed up, and this time they were much more seductive/manipulative to the point where people went along with their bullshit. And XCOM is the only group who sees the true danger.

BTW, fuck yeah that looked awesome.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/steam-now-lets-you-return-games-and-dlc/1100-6427765/

This is interesting. Effective today, Steam allows you to return your games and DLC. The rules are:

1) The return must be made within 14 days.
2) You cannot have logged more than 2 hours.
3) If it's DLC on a game you already own, you can't have played the base game for more than 2 hours since buying the DLC.
4) Also for DLC, you cannot have consumed or transferred the content.
5) Can't be returned if it was a gift that the receiver has already redeemed.
6) Can't return if you've been VAC banned from a game.

They included this statement, as well:

"Refunds are designed to remove the risk from purchasing titles on Steam--not as a way to get free games If it appears to us that you are abusing refunds, we may stop offering them to you. We do not consider it abuse to request a refund on a title that was purchased just before a sale and then immediately rebuying that title for the sale price."

Honestly? I think it's a fair policy. 14 days and/or 2 hours sounds more than reasonable. It lets you test out a game and if you don't like it, you can return it. Could be abused? Sure, absolutely. But I don't think it'll be enough that they'll lose too much money or need to shut the whole system down. Off the top of my head, I don't see how it could be abused too badly, really.

I like it. This would allow me to test out firsthand whether a game will function on my setup and, if it does, I can play more games on here. I'd love to have Fallout New Vegas on here, but haven't been sure it would play.