Video Game News and Miscellany

Just a friendly reminder, Burial At Sea Episode 2 releases today. Enjoy the fruits of a hundred jobless developers' labours!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd like to say I was disappointed in the oculus folks for this.. but... 2 billion. I'd probably cave too. Quickly. Gladly.

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my door! I'm not made of stone!!" - Krusty the Clown

Out of curiosity, how much more powerful is this compared to other cards currently on the market? Is it really a massive jump?[DOUBLEPOST=1395790741,1395790709][/DOUBLEPOST]
FUCKING FACEBOOK!?!?!

OH GOD, WHYYYY? GOODBYE, FUTURE OF GAMING!
Okay, I'm seeing things like this on Facebook, but I don't understand the context. Explain?

A few posts above that. Facebook bought Oculus Rift. So. VR Farmville for everyone!
Whoops, I missed that. Been busy with nieces tonight.

Wow. It's kind of a shame because it seemed to be generally open-sourced as a lot of game companies were working to implement it into their games.

A lot of people were bitching that it was a knee jerk reaction but there's too little salt in his post for me to believe that.

Here's how the Oculus CEO describes Zuckerberg's pitch:

"'What if we partner with you? You stay the same. Stay who you are. You expand that vision and focus on other things also. Gaming is core. But how can we help and invest significantly into the platform, the hardware, and bring down the cost of it. We could make it more optimized, do custom silicon, make this even better. What if we also invest in the parts so you can sell the virtual reality platform at cost?,'" Iribe recalls Zuckerberg saying. "It would use the best components and build a superior technology platform. Then let’s sell it at cost."
I guess he forgot one of Zuckerberg's best remembered quotes from the early days of Facebook:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
Zuck: Just ask
Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?
Zuck: People just submitted it.
Zuck: I don't know why.
Zuck: They "trust me"
Zuck: Dumb fucks

The dream for Oculus died. VR isn't dead. As long as a competitor picks up the torch.

What people are most angry about is simply having a Kickstarter to advance this tech, finally get somewhere with it with INCREDIBLE donations but ultimately the dream ends as a pitch to sell the tech that will wither and die (in its intended form) to a tech giant and cash out.

Bastards.

The dream for Oculus died. VR isn't dead. As long as a competitor picks up the torch.

What people are most angry about is simply having a Kickstarter to advance this tech, finally get somewhere with it with INCREDIBLE donations but ultimately the dream ends as a pitch to sell the tech that will wither and die (in its intended form) to a tech giant and cash out.

Bastards.
Facebook isn't really a tech giant though. They're not Google or Apple. They're an advertising platform.

Do I think Facebook is going to ruin the Oculus? No. But if I had known that the company would have been sold to a tech giant before they even really produced anything, I'd have wanted my money back too. Just on principle. Regardless, the found of Oculus made a smart move for him because now he has billions and he doesn't have to produce ANYTHING.

GasBandit

Staff member
Meanwhile, MySpace has announced its own acquisition, throwing its hat in the ring to compete once again with Facebook...

Whoa, whoa, this was a Kickstarter? I didn't remember that.

That's even more fucked up. Fuck him. He's got billions now; he should be paying back every one of the people who funded the project in the first place.

Also, apparently Facebook is astroturfing reddit with prefab copypasta to try to do damage control.

There's a theory that the Lellux guy just copied three comments from one thread and pasted them to another thread, in an attempt to karma whore. Though the three comments in the r/technology thread haven't exactly raked in karma, so I doubt this is true.

I honestly don't think it's a big deal. In fact, chances are having FB money behind it will actually make this thing more likely to be a success.

Whoa, whoa, this was a Kickstarter? I didn't remember that.

That's even more fucked up. Fuck him. He's got billions now; he should be paying back every one of the people who funded the project in the first place.
Well, to be fair, the kickstarter was to create dev units, and the people that kickstarted it got said dev units, so the full terms of the kickstarter were met.