Video Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good video editing program. Preferably free. I would love to bust out the cash for Adobe Premier Pro but that ain't happening for a while.

Windows Movie maker is basically useless. You can't make clean cut worth a damn so I need a better program.

There are a number of good programs at the $49 to $99 price level, and usually if you wait and sign up for their mailing lists you can get a discount to something like $69. Not free, but I suspect you're not going to find a good one for free.

I've used sony vegas, corel video studio pro (which, apparently, is on sale at $49 down from $99 right now), and avid (much more expensive) as well as windows movie maker and imovie (the mac free one).

I honestly can't give you a good comparison between them - they all did what I needed with no fuss, so as far as I'm concerned they are all as good as each other. If you're looking for specific features you'll have to check them out individually. They all have free 30 day trials, so before you put your money down, use the trial. In fact, if you try each one out in sequence you'll get 3 months of free video editing, and you'll have a good idea which one to buy if you still need one.

But if you find a good free editor, let us know. I just haven't seen anything that comes remotely close to the above for free.

Maybe there's a free microsoft live video editor, or free online adobe video editor.

I have to echo Stienman's sentiments... there just aren't really any good ones out there for free. I use Adobe Premiere and After Effects for all my digital video editing playtime but windows movie maker really stinks.

Most likely you will have to buy one to really get what you want done (not necessarily an expensive one, but pretty much all the paid ones are infinitely better than the free stuff).

GasBandit

Staff member
Some years ago, when I was dabbling, I used Cyberlink Powerproducer (3 I think...) Anyway, dunno if it's what you need, but it and fraps was enough for me to make this...

I always use Premiere and After Effects however I know just how pricy those pieces of software are. So I pirate at home! ARRR! At work I have the full version, obviously, but I needed to be able to composite at home as well so...there ya go!

It really depends on what you need to 'video edit'. Are you looking for just cuts and splices with overlayed audio or are you looking for more complex effects?

One of my videos for work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ikIdjvoKQ

I want to start simple, cuts and voice overs. Maybe picture in picture?

I was tihnking about pirating Premier but that's kinda taboo. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.