Export thread

Valheim

GasBandit

GasBandit

Would anyone be interested in trying out Valheim? It's a 1-10 player co-op PvE survival game set in a viking mythos. It has REALLY good reviews, and is blowing up. Comes from Coffee Stain, the same company that did Satisfactory, Deep Rock Galactic, and, uh, well, Goat Simulator.

I'm thinking about setting up a server on my... well, server.
So, yeah... I went ahead and started a Valheim server. I barely puttered around in it for a couple day/night cycles, repaired a ruined hut and stuck a bed and workbench in it, killed some wildlife, cut down some trees, fought some greydwarves. It's definitely got some appeal to it, and I was surprised that the game client is only 500 megs. It's a deceptively simple game, but I like how even in early access it has very little "jank" in it. Like, it's already light years better than, say, 7 days to die.

My only gripe is the enforced 3rd person perspective, but that's not a dealbreaker.

And here's something interesting... your character, with all his/her skills and inventory, seems to be independent of what server you play on (or solo game). So you could play on one server for a while, load up your stuff in your inventory, and then go to another server.

Anyway, if anyone wants in, on the "join" menu just search for my name, and the password is (PASSWORD CHANGED, PM ME FOR PASSWORD). If it doesn't show up, use the steam server window (main steam window, top left corner, view menu, servers) to add gasbandit.zapto.org:42457 to your favorites list. You might have to stop the refresh before it finishes to get the server to stop disappearing.

EDIT: the game now lets you join by IP. From a command prompt, type "ping gasbandit.zapto.org" to get whatever my current ip address is.

I HAD TO CHANGE THE SERVER PORT TO 42456.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I logged in today..giving it a shot :)

Dei

Dei

I think that this game has a Terraria like inventory system where your character can just bounce around between different servers and keep their inventory, right?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I think that this game has a Terraria like inventory system where your character can just bounce around between different servers and keep their inventory, right?
Yeah..in fact, when you join a server, they give you a warning message that you could lose all your stuff on that server and suggest making a "server only" character to play with. (Or maybe they did that to me because I only had one character and immediately used it to join GB's server)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I found gasbandit's base :)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, everyone I've seen play this has said it's basically Viking Terraria 3D.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I found gasbandit's base :)
That's a very generous description of my crowded hovel.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You mean "respawn location"

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Yeah, everyone I've seen play this has said it's basically Viking Terraria 3D.
I heard it described as if Rust and Runescape had a PvE Viking baby

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I hadda jump on the bed to make use of your workbench :)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

The server appears offline, so I took it single-player and learned how to build a house. I was able to find a lot more animals in the local server, so I got plenty of meat. :D

Here's a good guide.

Dave

Dave

Valheim is early access and updates quite frequently. My server has to be updated almost every day or it’s stopped.

Dei

Dei

The server appears offline, so I took it single-player and learned how to build a house. I was able to find a lot more animals in the local server, so I got plenty of meat. :D

Here's a good guide.
It's not offline, Snuffles and I have been playing for the last few hours. We even saw you get on the game.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It's not offline, Snuffles and I have been playing for the last few hours. We even saw you get on the game.
It never showed up in the list when I was hunting for it. I got on cause I saw you guys in game.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It never showed up in the list when I was hunting for it. I got on cause I saw you guys in game.
Apparently there's a common bug in Valheim where sometimes a given server won't show up in the list for no reason at all. You can join us by doing a "join game" from the friends list, or add gasbandit.zapto.org:2457 to your steam server list, then filter your favorites for Valheim only, and join from there.

To get it to work, I had to make the steam server browser SPECIFICALLY filter for Valheim servers, because it apparently reports as a server with no game otherwise, and steam won't know what game to launch.

Also, sometimes the server "vanishes" if you let the refresh finish, so hit refresh, then the instant "Gasbandit's Server" shows up in the list, hit "stop refresh."

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Apparently there's a common bug in Valheim where sometimes a given server won't show up in the list for no reason at all. You can join us by doing a "join game" from the friends list, or add gasbandit.zapto.org:2457 to your steam server list, then filter your favorites for Valheim only, and join from there.

To get it to work, I had to make the steam server browser SPECIFICALLY filter for Valheim servers, because it apparently reports as a server with no game otherwise, and steam won't know what game to launch.

Also, sometimes the server "vanishes" if you let the refresh finish, so hit refresh, then the instant "Gasbandit's Server" shows up in the list, hit "stop refresh."
Learn something new every day ;)

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

Learn something new every day ;)
Sometimes the server list can take time to populate. If you type in Gasbandit under the search field it can take a couple minutes to pop up.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Sometimes the server list can take time to populate. If you type in Gasbandit under the search field it can take a couple minutes to pop up.
Yeah, I let it fill up to 4738 servers, and his server never showed. But his trick above is working just fine for me.

Now my biggest problem is finding boars so that I can make a bow and kill Eikthyr. Someone's already done it once on Gas' server, so I don't know if I can do it again there or if I'll have to do it on my local instance I've been using for wood.

Dei

Dei

Yeah, I let it fill up to 4738 servers, and his server never showed. But his trick above is working just fine for me.

Now my biggest problem is finding boars so that I can make a bow and kill Eikthyr. Someone's already done it once on Gas' server, so I don't know if I can do it again there or if I'll have to do it on my local instance I've been using for wood.
Snuffles and I did it last night, but I'm pretty sure you can summon him again, since you need antlers for the pick.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Gonna try joining the server after downloading the game. Was looking for a survival crafting game to play.
Could someone DM me the password?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Gonna try joining the server after downloading the game. Was looking for a survival crafting game to play.
Could someone DM me the password?
Anyway, if anyone wants in, on the "join" menu just search for my name, and the password is Halforums. If it doesn't show up, use the steam server window (main steam window, top left corner, view menu, servers) to add gasbandit.zapto.org:2457 to your favorites list. You might have to stop the refresh before it finishes to get the server to stop disappearing.
Suggestion: Since this thread has mostly become the Valheim thread lately, should we start another thread/forum for it, a la Empyrion?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'll start a Valheim thread when I get home tonight, if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So here's that promised Valheim thread.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Man, Anna and Snuffles are just tearing their way up the tech tree. I can hear them all "We need this to make plate armor and portals." and I'm all "Wooo! I just made a flint knife!"

Far

Far

Started playing last night and within 20 minutes Sarah was peeking over my shoulder and asking "What's game is that?" Another 20 and she was in game saying "Uh oh, I could get lost in this."

So we'll probably jump on at somepoint.

Dei

Dei

Man, Anna and Snuffles are just tearing their way up the tech tree. I can hear them all "We need this to make plate armor and portals." and I'm all "Wooo! I just made a flint knife!"
I just planned carrots before going to bed too. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

At first I was really disappointed in the flint axe - it did no better on beech trees than the regular stone axe, and all its stats seem identical. But when my level 3 stone axe was about to give out cutting pine, I had my flint axe in my inventory and switched to it just to finish up, and was surprised to find that the level 1 flint axe was doing double damage to the pine tree than the stone axe was.

So I guess it does have a place in the progression.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Does anyone mind if I use their smelter? Cant find any surtling cores. :(

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Does anyone mind if I use their smelter? Cant find any surtling cores. :(
I hadda grab some from my local instance. The only dungeon I ran across near Anna/Snuffle's base area was cleaned out. I don't know if they respawn or not.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, for Surtling Cores, you might have to make a solo game and find a dungeon. Fortunately you can take your character there just as well equipped as here.

Dei

Dei

After some tragic mishaps and an extremely long naked boat ride, portals are available from Snuffles and my base to both the second and third boss. The third boss is next to a swamp biome, which is the next place to go after you kit out in bronze, but it is nasty. There is a shop near the second boss altar which sells some neat stuff for coins, like a fishing pole or a light up helmet. There is also an untouched Burial Ground (as of this post) between the boss altar and the shop, if anyone wants to go spelunking for cores.

(The one on the right is the second boss area, the one on the left is the third)

Dei

Dei

Also, Snuffles and I have a problem.

1613286041367.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

How do you only have 5 hours more than me? I could have sword you played way more.

Dei

Dei

How do you only have 5 hours more than me? I could have sword you played way more.
It probably feels that way because you haven't gotten out of the starter section yet, since you've essentially started over twice.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Too deep in Conan right now to do anything new (especially since Cranky has started playing), but once I start, which server do I play? Is Gas running mods Dave isn't? What's the difference? Is one hardcore?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Too deep in Conan right now to do anything new (especially since Cranky has started playing), but once I start, which server do I play? Is Gas running mods Dave isn't? What's the difference? Is one hardcore?

--Patrick
To my knowledge, there are no mods. I didn't know Dave was running a dedicated server.

Dei

Dei

Did someone steal my fishing pole from my lake house?

Dave

Dave

To my knowledge, there are no mods. I didn't know Dave was running a dedicated server.
I started mine the first day the game was released. I didn’t advertise though. Maybe I should have but it is what it is.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Did someone steal my fishing pole from my lake house?
Wasn't me. I haven't played in a couple of days, due to being busy with valentine's day weekend stuff

GasBandit

GasBandit

Lag manifests itself in really odd ways in this game. Emrys was playing with me, and normally in games there would be rubberbanding or disconnections... but all that happened from her point of view was that events that were occuring in game would not be shown to her for nearly 45 seconds. This, despite our discord conversation being instant and (usually) clear, and the fact that I could stream my game to her and she could watch it.

Dei

Dei

OK, a bunch of things have gone missing from chests in mine and Snuffle's camps, including all the Mead we were saving for a boss fight and 1100 or so coins. Was someone a dick or did something in the game fuck up? We didn't think we'd need to put up wards, but the things that are missing are just too specific.

GasBandit

GasBandit

OK, a bunch of things have gone missing from chests in mine and Snuffle's camps, including all the Mead we were saving for a boss fight and 1100 or so coins. Was someone a dick or did something in the game fuck up?
I hate to say it, but maybe it's time to implement access aura totems :/ I don't want to think that anyone's being a dick in particular, but this is the only way to be sure and confirm that it is, in fact, a bug. After all, it's not outside the realm of possibility for it to be a bug, I've had entire chests disappear.

Dei

Dei

I hate to say it, but maybe it's time to implement access aura totems :/ I don't want to think that anyone's being a dick in particular, but this is the only way to be sure and confirm that it is, in fact, a bug. After all, it's not outside the realm of possibility for it to be a bug, I've had entire chests disappear.
If it was full chests, maybe I'd think it was a bug, but it's valuable things from random chests.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If it was full chests, maybe I'd think it was a bug, but it's valuable things from random chests.
The implications of this are very disappointing, then.

Dei

Dei

Our beehives are also gone.

Dave

Dave

Well maybe I'm GLAD that I didn't advertise...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Two players with steam names I don't recognize logged in around 3:30 am last night, named Jakob and Spookie Ookie. My guess is they got the login info from this thread (possibly by google searching my name and valheim).

I'll be changing the server's password and sending a PM to those already playing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Confirmed, my own home got raided and all the valuables taken as well.

If you need to replace any items you lost, you can start a single player game, and hit f5, and type imacheater

then you can enter console commands to spawn items (spawn Copper 5) . More details on cheating here:

I recommend you go easy on it though, because it will ruin your game if you abuse it.

It doesn't work on the dedicated server, even for an admin, but since you can move your character back and forth between your own game and the server...

Begs the question of why these guys even bothered to take our stuff when they can just spawn their own.

Emrys

Emrys

They're arseholes.

Dave

Dave

Well, Vikings were known pillagers.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Gas and Anna questioned me when I set up a ward a couple days ago. Honestly, I just did it out of curiosity's sake, but as long as it was there, I saw no reason to remove it.

Just logged in, and all of my stuff is still intact.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, Vikings were known pillagers.
I'm surprised and relieved they didn't just whip out a hammer and mass-demolish everything for the materials. Small favors, I guess.

Dei

Dei

Snuffles and I are consolidating and locking up our portals. If anyone wants a portal to the second boss, you will need to make your own portal on your side, and name said portal TheElder

GasBandit

GasBandit

Snuffles and I are consolidating and locking up our portals. If anyone wants a portal to the second boss, you will need to make your own portal on your side, and name said portal TheElder
What happens if there's more than two portals with the same tag? How does it determine where to send you?

Dei

Dei

What happens if there's more than two portals with the same tag? How does it determine where to send you?
Dunno, haven't tried. We also aren't using that portal anymore, so it won't be an issue to us

Dei

Dei

Snuffles and I have abandoned our first base. We left a portal in there that goes to The Elder, but we're not using it anymore, so if anyone wants it, have at it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Snuffles and I have abandoned our first base. We left a portal in there that goes to The Elder, but we're not using it anymore, so if anyone wants it, have at it.
I look forward to seeing what architectural monstrosity Snuffles comes up with next.

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

I look forward to seeing what architectural monstrosity Snuffles comes up with next.
It's very practical.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Much to my surprise, my house in the noob area was beseiged today... by Draugr and Skeletons. "A FOUL SMELL FROM THE SWAMP" indeed. Was not expecting that level of aggression so close to the starting circle.

Dei

Dei

Much to my surprise, my house in the noob area was beseiged today... by Draugr and Skeletons. "A FOUL SMELL FROM THE SWAMP" indeed. Was not expecting that level of aggression so close to the starting circle.
I'm pretty sure siege difficulty is tied to server progress, but don't worry, Snuffles and I want nothing to do with Bonemass for a few days at least. We have projects.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I just tried to log into GB's server and I get an "incompatible version" error.
1613562921175.png

Looks like they did some update about an hour ago, and @GasBandit will have to refresh.

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

I'm pretty sure siege difficulty is tied to server progress, but don't worry, Snuffles and I want nothing to do with Bonemass for a few days at least. We have projects.
Reddit seems to think it's tied to the number of days the server has been active.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just tried to log into GB's server and I get an "incompatible version" error.
View attachment 37150

Looks like they did some update about an hour ago, and @GasBandit will have to refresh.
Server updated, restarting now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Something else odd happened last night. Emrys and I were mining tin, and Emrys asked me "Uh, what's that over there?"

I looked, and there was a shadowy man-sized figure wearing a hooded robe so that no part of him was visible, carrying some sort of staff or stick. Just standing 20 yards away from us, looking. As we moved toward it, it vanished in a puff of smoke. It was very menacing and eerie.

Dei

Dei

Something else odd happened last night. Emrys and I were mining tin, and Emrys asked me "Uh, what's that over there?"

I looked, and there was a shadowy man-sized figure wearing a hooded robe so that no part of him was visible, carrying some sort of staff or stick. Just standing 20 yards away from us, looking. As we moved toward it, it vanished in a puff of smoke. It was very menacing and eerie.
Snuffles saw him a couple of days ago.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Same thing has been reported on reddit.

with no clear answer as to what it is yet.

The wiki suggests it may be odin watching the player.

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

Snuffles saw him a couple of days ago.
I told you I saw a wizard!

Dei

Dei

must tame pig
20210217094805_1.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I had two outside my gate this morning and I kicked myself for killing them instead of walling them in.

Dei

Dei

The first baby

20210217104100_1.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Apparently one of the things the update did was add a "join by IP" button into the join game menu. So, you can now join the server directly by IP if it doesn't show up in the list.

Down side is, my IP is dynamic, and although I have a dynamic DNS service (which names me gasbandit.zapto.org), the game does not resolve DNS, it literally wants an IP address.

Well, right now that address is 50.24.134.65, but if that address stops working, run a command prompt, and ping gasbandit.zapto.org, and that'll get you the new address.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, these Draugr attacks on my house are pretty brutal. I'm managing to stem most of the damage, but they almost always involve me dying at least twice.

PatrThom

PatrThom

if that address stops working, run a command prompt, and ping gasbandit.zapto.org, and that'll get you the new address.
If after this you are still having trouble joining, from your command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns (in case your computer is refusing to let go of the old IP address) and then try pinging Gas' server again.

--Patrick

Just Me

Just Me

Man, these Draugr attacks on my house are pretty brutal. I'm managing to stem most of the damage, but they almost always involve me dying at least twice.
Out of curiosity and for my own preparation: how many days are stacked up on your server for the Draugr attacks to come?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Out of curiosity and for my own preparation: how many days are stacked up on your server for the Draugr attacks to come?
We just passed day 200, but I think the Draugr started showing up around day 150.

Snuffles told me the scuttlebutt is around day 50, the Greydwarves will start invading. Around day 100, the trolls will start having seiges. Around day 150, the Draugr. After that... who the hell knows.

Dei

Dei

We just passed day 200, but I think the Draugr started showing up around day 150.

Snuffles told me the scuttlebutt is around day 50, the Greydwarves will start invading. Around day 100, the trolls will start having seiges. Around day 150, the Draugr. After that... who the hell knows.
I dreamed of ghosts last time I slept. And there are Wraiths in the swamp. I don't know if dreams are related to sieges though.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

1613660608127.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also sourced from this article: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/valheim-roadmap/

• Hearth And Home will focus on house building, giving players more things to do around their viking homes. Also focused on food preparation with more recipes as well as building components.
  • Cult Of The Wolf is all about exploration and combat
  • Ships And The Sea is based on ship customization and additions to the Ocean biome.
  • Mistlands will add a new biome with new enemies, items, resources and a new boss, plus more
  • Final game intends to have 9 biomes and bosses. Each biome will have its own boss and potentially mini-bosses.

GasBandit

GasBandit

1613663934553.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

"Let's go get some copper real quick"

1613664037652.png

Dave

Dave

*yoink* What a good graph.

PatrThom

PatrThom

*yoink* What a good graph.
Now I know why people revere honey.

--Patrick

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

Pfft, that guys house is amateur hour. I am an artiste.

GasBandit

GasBandit

--Patrick
That, and you need it to make mead, which depending on what kind you make, has a number of really important effects - healing, poison resist, cold resist....

LordRendar

LordRendar

Love your base gas. From what I can see from the outside.

Dei

Dei

--Patrick
It's 90% mead, because poison and frost resist are life.

My meals right now are turnip stew, carrot stew, and sausage. No honey required.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Love your base gas. From what I can see from the outside.
You should see the one Snuffles and Anna abandoned to the east..

Really, my home is a rather simple affair, prioritizing function and utility. If you want to see a structure I am a little proud of, you should see the bridge I built in the western black woods. It's a trick to make a weatherproof covered bridge over water wide enough for a cart that isn't incredibly jank.

Dei

Dei

You should see the one Snuffles and Anna abandoned to the east..

Really, my home is a rather simple affair, prioritizing function and utility. If you want to see a structure I am a little proud of, you should see the bridge I built in the western black woods. It's a trick to make a weatherproof covered bridge over water wide enough for a cart that isn't incredibly jank.
My bridge is a feat of engineering that I will hate forever.

Also, the base we abandoned has nothing on our new base.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Can someone tell me in what direction i could find the swamp?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Can someone tell me in what direction i could find the swamp?
The swamps I've found have all required a boat to access. There's one to the southwest, another to the southeast. It's a fair distance. There's probably more in almost every direction, but I'm betting it won't be reachable on foot.

LordRendar

LordRendar

That I dont mind. Went north with the boat, but it was just Black Forest.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If Dei is on when you're on, I bet she can ping at least a couple swamps for you.

Dei

Dei

If Dei is on when you're on, I bet she can ping at least a couple swamps for you.
True, but we've been clearing the iron out of the swamps we know about, so idk if that's useful. That said, I have a camp by a swamp that we're not really accessing anymore and I know it has at least one untouched dungeon. It's pretty much directly south of the vendor.

Dei

Dei

Oh, also we haven't touched the swamp the third boss is at other than to drop a portal and fight him. I could give you access to that portal and you can have that swamp all to yourself, or I can show you the sea route.

GasBandit

GasBandit

As for myself, I need to hit the elder again. My swamp key is gone and rather than replace it with cheat codes, I thought I might try tackling him again with slightly different tactics. I've been watching some youtube videos, and what they recommend doing is getting in closer and using the stone columns of his sacrificial altar for cover from the vines, and ringing the area with campfires before summoning him - both to keep yourself warm at night, and because his melee stomp causes him damage if he stomps a campfire, which will set him on fire. They say if you do it this way, you can solo him with less than 100 bronze arrows.

LordRendar

LordRendar

As for myself, I need to hit the elder again. My swamp key is gone and rather than replace it with cheat codes, I thought I might try tackling him again with slightly different tactics. I've been watching some youtube videos, and what they recommend doing is getting in closer and using the stone columns of his sacrificial altar for cover from the vines, and ringing the area with campfires before summoning him - both to keep yourself warm at night, and because his melee stomp causes him damage if he stomps a campfire, which will set him on fire. They say if you do it this way, you can solo him with less than 100 bronze arrows.
If you need a swamp key, i got a second one. The Elder dropped 2 when i killed him. Its inside one of the chests inside my home.

Dei

Dei

Also, if anyone wants to be authorized on the wards to our base, let me know and I'll hook you up.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Lag manifests itself in really odd ways in this game. Emrys was playing with me, and normally in games there would be rubberbanding or disconnections... but all that happened from her point of view was that events that were occuring in game would not be shown to her for nearly 45 seconds. This, despite our discord conversation being instant and (usually) clear, and the fact that I could stream my game to her and she could watch it.
Lately I notice this has been happening to ME, too. And that really shouldn't happen, given that I'm in the same room, on the same network switch, as the server.

So I did some investigating. Apparently Valheim has an upload rate limit hard-baked into its DLLs of 60k/s. Looks like this has been a problem for other people as well, and somebody figured out how to decompile and recompile the DLL to up that limit.

So, I've increased it from 60k/s to 256 k/s. Let's see if this helps. Now that I'm thinking about it, I might just go ahead and up it to 1 mb/s.

Dei

Dei

I made a little item swap hut by the stone circle, so you can put things you don't need in it, and take things you do need/want out. Just please don't fill it with trash items like fir cones and dwarf trophies. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

I made a little item swap hut by the stone circle, so you can put things you don't need in it, and take things you do need/want out. Just please don't fill it with trash items like fir cones and dwarf trophies. :p
But somebody might need my fir cones! :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, I've increased it from 60k/s to 256 k/s. Let's see if this helps. Now that I'm thinking about it, I might just go ahead and up it to 1 mb/s.
Obviously not enough. I got the lag again today, where a troll did not register any of my arrow hits, walked past me, then I registered a troll hit killing me 20 seconds later. Next opportunity I get, I'll increase it tenfold instead of fourfold.

Dei

Dei

1613865857946.png

Dei

Dei

Thought

Since Snuffles and I have been slowly pillaging our way south, would people prefer that we continue going south and leave the north seas to the rest of you?

I'm not saying we'll never go north, just if we do we won't take anything.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Thus does the division of territory begin.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, so last night Emrys and I still experienced the lag phenomenon. So since nobody else was on the server, I shut it down and bumped its upload limit up to 1 MB/s (that's eight megabit, should be more than any game ever needs).

Still had the problem.

So as an experiment, Emrys hosted a game herself and I joined it.

At first it was fine... but we barely got our first hut built before she started experiencing the problem again, shortly followed by me.

Something's just up with this game.

Emrys

Emrys

The game hates me.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Sounds like it's time to bust out the profiling tools.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

The game hates me.
I don't think it likes me, either.

Dei

Dei

We sailed in to the Mistlands today while looking around. Snuffles immediately panicked and made me turn around.

drifter

drifter

So, what are the building mechanics like in Valheim? Like, can I build ridiculous things à la Minecraft or is it more structured?

MindDetective

MindDetective

Ok, so last night Emrys and I still experienced the lag phenomenon. So since nobody else was on the server, I shut it down and bumped its upload limit up to 1 MB/s (that's eight megabit, should be more than any game ever needs).

Still had the problem.

So as an experiment, Emrys hosted a game herself and I joined it.

At first it was fine... but we barely got our first hut built before she started experiencing the problem again, shortly followed by me.

Something's just up with this game.
Sounds like a memory leak to me. But that is pure, unbridled speculation.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, what are the building mechanics like in Valheim? Like, can I build ridiculous things à la Minecraft or is it more structured?
It uses the same "structural integrity" mechanic as Empyrion - that is, the more "blocks" away from touching ground a building block is, the lower its "integrity." Eventually, if you don't find a way to anchor to the ground (or find a way to use longer supports, which require higher level materials to make), blocks you place will just break off after a couple seconds.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sounds like a memory leak to me. But that is pure, unbridled speculation.
To me, it feels like there's some kind of TCP-esque (as opposed to UDP, which these games usually use) validation checking going on between all the clients and the server. The server gets info from a client, sends it to all the other clients, then waits for verification from all the other clients before it agrees that "something has happened" and then sends updates to all the clients to that effect.

This becomes a problem when one of those clients is on low bandwidth, high latency, wireless Canadian internet.

Also just unbridled speculation on my part, but it's all I can think of that fits.

PatrThom

PatrThom

This becomes a problem when one of those clients is on low bandwidth, high latency, wireless Canadian internet.
If this was indeed the cause, the local connection would've been flawless.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I will say that MalwareBytes has given me trojan warnings on two seperate occasions when connecting to your server and blocked something that I didn't unblock. I assume it's giving me the IP to your server when it does that, but I don't need to allow it to connect to your server.

I have also never had a lag problem.

drifter

drifter

It uses the same "structural integrity" mechanic as Empyrion - that is, the more "blocks" away from touching ground a building block is, the lower its "integrity." Eventually, if you don't find a way to anchor to the ground (or find a way to use longer supports, which require higher level materials to make), blocks you place will just break off after a couple seconds.
Hmm, think it'd be doable to build the Bathhouse from Spirited Away?

GasBandit

GasBandit

If this was indeed the cause, the local connection would've been flawless.

--Patrick
Not if her game was waiting for my game to parse, verify, and return the data before it allowed the game to continue. Kind of like a CRC of all parties involved before it allows time to progress to maintain game sync.

I will say that, no matter how bad the lag gets, there's almost never any rubberbanding. So it's refusing to "skip" data to do positional updates and that sort of thing.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Not if her game was waiting for my game to parse, verify, and return the data before it allowed the game to continue.
I thought your test was solo between your client and server, on your LAN.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I thought your test was solo between your client and server, on your LAN.

--Patrick
No, the test was me join her, with her hosting the game (no dedicated server).

PatrThom

PatrThom

No, the test was me join her, with her hosting the game (no dedicated server).
Then I have an idea what your next test should be.

This isn't that ol' half-open TCP connection thing, is it?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's the fastest hunk of junk in the biome, made the Yagluth run in only 12 portals.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Mods are now a thing for valheim, most of them client side.

Here's what I'm trying first - a mod for a first person view mode.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh god I'm playing the First Person mod, it's so nice.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Did a little more testing. The structure of this game's network chatter is definitely closer to peer-to-peer instead of server/client. And it's definitely waiting for verification from other clients within a certain radius.

Which means, if ONE person within a given radius is lagging... EVERYBODY in that given radius lags. Even if your ping to the server is single digit milliseconds.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Can you boost the number of half-open connections on the server? Or is it mesh instead of star?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Can you boost the number of half-open connections on the server? Or is it mesh instead of star?

--Patrick
I don't have that level of control. About the only thing I can change is the maximum upload speed limit.

GasBandit

GasBandit

1614058734181.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

The Valheim mods I recommend -

Quick stack: push one button, and stuff in your inventory gets put into nearby chests that already have that in it. Makes unloading after a day of hunting/gathering much nicer

Craft and build from containers: just what it says in the tin. Do you have a chest full of tin, copper, bronze, etc next to your forge? Now you don't need to fish out the materials to do your crafting. Plus, if you are doing a lot of building, just load up a chest with wood, and whenever you're near that chest, you'll use the wood from the chest.

First Person View: Lets you zoom all the way into your head, and play in first person view. Surprisingly not jank, I'm very happy with it. I do still recommend mining and farming in third person, and fortunately switching between the modes is easy and seamless. Also, for some reason, comes with the FOV set to 85, but after the first time running it, there will be a config file you can use to tone that down to a less fisheye-like setting, like 70.

Remember IP Dammit: Makes your game remember the last IP you typed in to connect to, so that you don't have to jump through stupid hoops to reconnect to your favorite server every time.

Show My Position By Default: Makes it so that "show my position on map to other players" is on by default instead of off, so that you don't have to remember to turn it on every time you play.

All of these mods require the plugin injector Bepinex for Valheim:

It's easy to install, though. You just go into the zip, and install the contents of the "BepInExPack_Valheim" folder into the root folder of your Valheim install. Then go into the bepinex folder, then the plugins folder, and that's where you drop the DLLs for the other mods. Everything then happens automatically the next time you start Valheim. Any mods with configuration files will create those files the first time you run after installing them, so you'll then have to exit out, edit the config files (they live in bepinex/config), and then start the game again.

Dave

Dave

I would be averse to using Valheim mods. The game updates so often that the mods are going to break constantly.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

I would be averse to using Valheim mods. The game updates so often that the mods are going to break constantly.
The method of injection for these mods is different from how, say, minecraft did. It's closer to how Stardew Valley handles mod injection.

Minecraft method: direct memory address injection due to obfuscated code in bespoke engine
Valheim/Stardew method: engine function call injection due to unobfuscated/industry standard engine (Unity)

So, unlike Minecraft, which meant that every single update literally broke every single mod, mods in Valheim and Stardew Valley only break if the engine changes, or something REALLY fundamentally changes about the game.

I've run outdated mods on Stardew Valley for several, several, SEVERAL version updates of Stardew, and while it complains, it is a lot more fault tolerant.

GasBandit

GasBandit

However, I WILL tell you the down side of Valheim mods -

Client side mods affect the server.

That means cheat mods can't be stopped. So public Valheim servers will never be viable, because there's no way to stop/catch cheaters/griefers other than banning them by name, one by one.

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

GasBandit

GasBandit

I feel attacked.
You think you feel attacked now, just wait til you learn that terraforming/flattening terrain is the number one cause of degraded game performance (low fps)

~TLDR

Until they change the way the game is being saved, I suggest that you guys don't terraform the terrain unless absolutely necessary. Do not build large trenches around your base and do not flatten the mountains like I did. Luckily I keep saving up to 20 latest backups with a simple PowerShell script, and I'm able to rollback to a state where I didn't create additional 10,000 instances.

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

You think you feel attacked now, just wait til you learn that terraforming/flattening terrain is the number one cause of degraded game performance (low fps)
Oh.. Oh no.

drifter

drifter

Glad I held off on buying this game, then. Hopefully the devs can do something about it.

Dei

Dei

Ok but if this guy is flattening mountains, I feel like that is the biggest problem.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Glad I held off on buying this game, then. Hopefully the devs can do something about it.
It's not horrible, as long as you are literally not flattening mountains. I've got a trench around my main base and it does drop it to about 30 fps, but on the other hand, I've flattened a 50m circle somewhere else on the map, and still get 50+.

I just brought it up to Snuffles because he just went on a MASSIVE terraforming campaign.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I remember Empyrion had a similar problem, where all terrain changes were saved as deltas to the procedurally generated content rather than altering the planet's actual geometry.

--Patrick

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

It's not horrible, as long as you are literally not flattening mountains. I've got a trench around my main base and it does drop it to about 30 fps, but on the other hand, I've flattened a 50m circle somewhere else on the map, and still get 50+.

I just brought it up to Snuffles because he just went on a MASSIVE terraforming campaign.
Joking aside I've never had any problems and I flatten everything before I build on it.

drifter

drifter

*recalls old Minecraft saves* Yeah, I'm still gonna hold off, at least for a little while

PatrThom

PatrThom

Minecraft, at least, actually altered the world model as you changed the terrain.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

So this shit must be the bees knees eh? The numbers on Steam are absolutely bonkers and I see you all logging into it on and off all day.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So this shit must be the bees knees eh? The numbers on Steam are absolutely bonkers and I see you all logging into it on and off all day.
It's addictive AF. Kinda a hybrid minecraft/terraria 3d game with zelda combat mechanics and a Skyrim costume.

Frank

Frank

Pop that bad boy on the ole wishlist then.

Dei

Dei

Dinner and Wildlife Viewing in the Plains.

20210223214531_1.jpg

Dei

Dei

Flour only stacking to 20 is nonsense on toast.

GasBandit

GasBandit

1614237199663.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

PatrThom

PatrThom

I have a forest soundtrack that does the same thing... rain falling on leaves, occasional thunder, and then some elk or something has to go and bust in with HNREeeeeeeEEEEONK! over and over again.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I just relistened to the louis ck bit (which I hadn't heard in quite some time)...maybe stop listening before the last 20 or 30 seconds of the video. heh.

GasBandit

GasBandit

On the way home, with iron....

1614273956808.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

1614274798395.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

Patch day!

Hello Valheimers!
Todays patch has some major changes, the biggest change is the updated socket backend which should improve connection issues for a lot of players. Vulkan support as been enabled in Windows builds and can be enabled for now by adding "-force-vulkan" as a launch option in Steam properties for Valheim. This might fix some random crashes related to GPU drivers. World corruption caused by loging out and and the same time pressing ALT+F4 has been fixed. Some balancing fixes was made on bosses to make them more challenging ( u guys are killing them too fast ).

NOTE: Due to changes in character save data, once a character has been loaded & saved in this new version, they can no longer be loaded in an older version of valheim.

* Crafting item-dupe bug fix
* Harpooned player & ship bug fix
* Fixed player ragdoll
* Bonemass,Moder,Yagluth difficulty tweaks
* Moder music updated
* Tombstone bugfix (probably wont fix disappearing tombstones though)
* Fixed world corruption caused by pressing ALT+F4 while logging out.
* Deathsquitos have slightly longer audio range
* Tweaked audio on blast-furnace & spinning wheel
* Shared map position setting is saved per world
* Updated network stats (F2)
* Building destruction drop-fix
* Vulkan support in windows builds
* Network disconnection bugfix
* Updated socket-backend

GasBandit

GasBandit

Server updated.

GasBandit

GasBandit

1614313180815.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

♫ ♫ I always feel like... somebody's WATCHING MEEEEE.... and I have no privacy... oh-oh-oh... ♫♫

1614454412565.jpeg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Completely demolished and rebuilt the house. This is where Emrys and I (and Celt Z) live, now. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and it allowed me to consolidate my crafting and living spaces, making more room for farming. Now the empty workshop (the wood structure on the right) only has some portals left in it... I need to tear that down and rebuild it as an actually aesthetically pleasant portal nexus.

1614494535693.png

mikerc

mikerc

This is where Emrys and I (and Celt Z) live, now.
Living the dream Gas?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Living the dream Gas?

Celt Z

Celt Z

Completely demolished and rebuilt the house. This is where Emrys and I (and Celt Z) live, now. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and it allowed me to consolidate my crafting and living spaces, making more room for farming. Now the empty workshop (the wood structure on the right) only has some portals left in it... I need to tear that down and rebuild it as an actually aesthetically pleasant portal nexus.

View attachment 37233
I assume my new "room" is the shed outback, as a reminder to not be a deadbeat and build my old cardboard box?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I assume my new "room" is the shed outback, as a reminder to not be a deadbeat and build my old cardboard box?
Your new room is fuckin' plush. Note that you have an actual bed with furs and blankets and stuff instead of a box of straw to sleep on.

1614531852756.jpeg

Why would you ever possibly want to move out, with views like these?

1614531876869.jpeg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Anyway, I finished demolishing the old workshop and rebuilt a portal nexus more in keeping with the aesthetic/oeuvre of the house.

1614531946006.jpeg

Celt Z

Celt Z

Your new room is fuckin' plush. Note that you have an actual bed with furs and blankets and stuff instead of a box of straw to sleep on.

View attachment 37236

Why would you ever possibly want to move out, with views like these?

View attachment 37237
Ok, but if you ever want the place to yourselves, this is NOT the way to do it. Just sayin'.

May have to go check out my sweet Viking digs later today...

Dei

Dei

Ok, but if you ever want the place to yourselves, this is NOT the way to do it. Just sayin'.

May have to go check out my sweet Viking digs later today...
I mean, if you really want to give them space, I also just built a new house and I have an extra room.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I mean, if you really want to give them space, I also just built a new house and I have an extra room.
Possibly? Mr. Z has been asking me about the game lot today, so there is a possibility he may give it a shot tonight. If he gets into it, we may end up with our own place*.

*which I am hoping he will build because I am lazy about that sort of thing. Left to my own devices, I would probably have a hovel like Terrik's.

Dei

Dei

Possibly? Mr. Z has been asking me about the game lot today, so there is a possibility he may give it a shot tonight. If he gets into it, we may end up with our own place*.

*which I am hoping he will build because I am lazy about that sort of thing. Left to my own devices, I would probably have a hovel like Terrik's.
I'm playing in single player with my husband and he makes me do all the building lol.

Dei

Dei

I do recommend though that you find a new area to build, just because lag has been becoming an issue when too many things get built near each other. Snuffles and I are pretty much only using Base v2 to store our stuff and engaging in building projects on opposite sides of the map to reduce lag.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Left to my own devices, I would probably have a hovel like Terrik's.
Still better than the windowless cube @Dave would surely build.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I'm playing with Wata. He likes to build. So I gather resources and he builds.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The Copper Crew, on the job.

1614572680908.jpeg

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm playing with Wata. He likes to build. So I gather resources and he builds.
That's about how things are going with me 'n' Rose.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

And I know you've all been waiting with bated breath for this:

There's finally a nude mod for Valheim :wololo:

Now we just need CBBE!

GasBandit

GasBandit

@LordRendar are you still using the walled house you built right by the starting circle?

Dei

Dei

Now we just need CBBE!
I don't really see why a nude mod for Valheim is that exciting. Unless it' makes completely different bodies I guess.

Emrys

Emrys

Now we just need CBBE!
No.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't really see why a nude mod for Valheim is that exciting. Unless it' makes completely different bodies I guess.
Oh it's not. It's hilariously not.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Let me know when they get a South Park mod that plays "Push It To The Limit" as battle music, and that has Stan yell every time one of the characters dies.

--Patrick

LordRendar

LordRendar

@LordRendar are you still using the walled house you built right by the starting circle?
Not really. I stash stuff there when I am huntin wolves, but that was it. If you want to demolish it, go ahead.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Now we just need CBBE!
The only thing this is going to result in is Mr. Z being even more naked in the house. No one needs that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Not really. I stash stuff there when I am huntin wolves, but that was it. If you want to demolish it, go ahead.
Hunting wolves? Are we talking about the same place? Right by the starting circle, right? Like right next to Tinwhistler's place?

LordRendar

LordRendar

Yes. Down to the south east are mountains. Wolves do spawn there.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes. Down to the south east are mountains. Wolves do spawn there.
I did find a Fei tombstone up there, but the wolves seemed pretty few and far between ;)

Anyway if you need a place to shack up when hunting wolves, I cordially invite you to throw down a bed in the third floor communal area of my house. I'll need to add you to my ward, though.

LordRendar

LordRendar

It is alright. I got a cart to store stuff in. The tombstone you found is probably the one where I was rushed by 6 or so wolves at once and I got stuck on a rock. Everyone got a hit and I died in 2 seconds.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It is alright. I got a cart to store stuff in. The tombstone you found is probably the one where I was rushed by 6 or so wolves at once and I got stuck on a rock. Everyone got a hit and I died in 2 seconds.
The contents of the chests there, and the materials it broke down into, are at the east gate of your other residence in the area (the one near Dei's boat house)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Redecorated my second floor landing. I think it looks pretty good.

Dei

Dei

Meanwhile, I am a masochist.

20210301232443_1.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Apparently if you throw a surtling core into a bonfire, it shoots a flare into the sky that explodes and briefly illuminates the entire area.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We finally managed to take down bonemass tonight. It was a hell of a struggle. Took forever. But in the celebration afterwards, Mr. Z agreed to trade Keltsey to me in exchange for a magic belt. :D

Celt Z

Celt Z

I dislike you both.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I dislike you both.
Well, look at it this way. I rescued you from having to live in an uninsulated, bare, clapboard shack (IN THE FREEZING MOUNTAINS), and all it cost me was a magic belt.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Welp, I've discovered a very real memory leak. If you repeatedly log back and forth between one server and another (or in my case a server and a single player game) you will use up about an extra 2 gigs of ram per change until you quit to desktop.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Well, look at it this way. I rescued you from having to live in an uninsulated, bare, clapboard shack (IN THE FREEZING MOUNTAINS), and all it cost me was a magic belt.
"Rescued" is a strong word. And he would trade me for magic beans.

Literally. He probably would have traded me for seeds and a cultivator.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Might I, as a disinterested third party in this game, suggest that one of you perhaps set up a bathing area that involves heated rocks and hot water? Perhaps with a shrine to the god of the North (Ranger).

GasBandit

GasBandit

Might I, as a disinterested third party in this game, suggest that one of you perhaps set up a bathing area that involves heated rocks and hot water? Perhaps with a shrine to the god of the North (Ranger).
I really wish we could do water features.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I had to change the server port to 42456. Let me know if this causes problems for anyone.

If it does, I recommend you get the quickconnect mod, and enter the following into its config file - this seems to work very well for Keltsey, myself, and Emrys.

Code:
GasBandit's Server:gasbandit.zapto.org:42456:PASSWORDHERE
If you want to use the steam server favorites list trick, it seems to want gasbandit.zapto.org:42457

GasBandit

GasBandit

HOUSE BANDIT

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I had to change the server port to 42456. Let me know if this causes problems for anyone.

If it does, I recommend you get the quickconnect mod, and enter the following into its config file - this seems to work very well for Keltsey, myself, and Emrys

Code:
GasBandit's Server:gasbandit.zapto.org:42456:PASSWORDHERE
I knew I should've gotten a screenshot earlier. :p
ASSWORD

GasBandit

GasBandit

I knew I should've gotten a screenshot earlier. :p
ASSWORD
Given what the password is, that is an apt description.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Dei

Dei

I shudder to think about what he will have to do to the terrain to make this trick work on the swamp, where it is damp and rainy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, way back in the day, one of the first structures I was very proud of was this covered bridge, that let me get my cart across the water to get copper and tin home.

1615439359501.jpeg

Well, tonight Celt Z and I revisited it, and made some improvements. It looks, and works, much better now.

1615439409838.jpeg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Someone on Reddit had an excellent suggestion, and I hope the devs pay attention to it.

There's a divide among the players about whether metal should be able to go through a portal or not. Half want the convenience, the other half value the challenge and the excuse to use the boats.

Someone said a good balance would be that defeating a biome's boss would make that biome's metal portal-able. IE, you have to schlep copper and tin until you beat the elder, then you can teleport it. You have to ship iron until you beat bonemass. Portal silver? Gotta beat Moder first, and so on.

Dei

Dei

I have a tiny little outpost that I stole from fulings out in the Plains. Outside this outpost I have 3 tames Loxes because I can't actually control where they go. This plains outpost is near a swamp, and there is nothing more amusing than watching one Lox randomly wander in there and decimate everything while I go in and collect all the drops.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Someone on Reddit had an excellent suggestion, and I hope the devs pay attention to it.
Eh, this sounds like it would break the game design, assuming they are deliberately trying to keep you moving from place to place, and discourage you from setting up a permanent central location anywhere.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Eh, this sounds like it would break the game design, assuming they are deliberately trying to keep you moving from place to place, and discourage you from setting up a permanent central location anywhere.

--Patrick
They're also deliberately trying to make a cooperative experience, but they do give those who want it a PvP option.

Dei

Dei

They're also deliberately trying to make a cooperative experience, but they do give those who want it a PvP option.
Yeah, but people generally use it to fling each other with harpoons.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, but people generally use it to fling each other with harpoons.
Just more illustration of how important emergent gameplay beyond the scope of the developer's vision is.

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

--Patrick
I built a village. I'm not going anywhere.

Dei

Dei

TBH, I don't really find the teleport restrictions that annoying. So far I've been able to either easily find extra metal near new bases, or I just make outposts to smelt metal for gear and move some back to a central location to fully update workbenches/forges when I get around to it. It's also a good way to find serpent meat for stew, which is as good as lox meat pie (which requires an artisan table).

PatrThom

PatrThom

I built a village. I'm not going anywhere.
Now you just need a child to raise.

--Patrick

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Uhm.... I'm sorry about the bridge in the Black Forest. I tried to fix it as best as I could.

In other news, did you know that Trolls will chase you a VERY long distance? And appear to enjoy chasing you towards other trolls?

PatrThom

PatrThom

I hope the devs pay attention to it.
valhellnaw.jpg

Well okay then.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

D’ya think we’ll get any Valheim vids by Womble? Or is this genre not his cup of tea?

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

D’ya think we’ll get any Valheim vids by Womble? Or is this genre not his cup of tea?

—Patrick
Who knows... his videos kinda run behind. He's still posting old CSGO and Space Engineers footage :/

GasBandit

GasBandit

From Reddit - "Know your place, trash!"

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

That's an impressive slide, but is it really a rollercoaster if it doesn't go up any inclines?

GasBandit

GasBandit

MindDetective

MindDetective

That's an impressive slide, but is it really a rollercoaster if it doesn't go up any inclines?
This is referred to as an Alpine coaster or, apparently, a summer toboggan.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Hey, look, he's not hitting any rocks!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hey, look, he's not hitting any rocks!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Celt Z

Celt Z

*cues Immigrant Song*

Valheim_Thor.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dang, the forum's image processor really downscaled it.

You guys can't see it, but that's actually Thor in the middle of all that lightning. It was pretty rad.

Far

Far

Super cool that you guys met Chris Hemsworth.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Dang, the forum's image processor really downscaled it.

You guys can't see it, but that's actually Thor in the middle of all that lightning. It was pretty rad.
I wish I had gotten a screenshot when it first appeared. It was so much clearer. At least we know he's there, now!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Celt Z

Celt Z

Stamina comment: no lie detected.

Although I find their criticism around the 2:00m mark about leveling and having to fight the bosses a little weird: isn't that, like, 99% of video games ever made?

Dei

Dei

I really want to do big builds in Valheim, but I also feel like they will end up big and empty unless I want every room to be a feast hall. I find that I'm happier only building as big as I need to put in necessities. Hopefully the next update helps. I also feel like just something simple like letting me mount everything on an item stand would go a long way here.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I managed to get a much better shot of Thor today.

1616378821470.png

drifter

drifter

Thor is a... box? With disembodied legs?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

the internet is your friend in this regard.

And according to reddit: "If you zoom and the clouds are not completely in the way, you can see Thor’s chariot with 2 goats (Tanngrisnir and Tanngnjóstr)"

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, it's a chariot drawn by goats.

1616386464431.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

1616420780728.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

What happens when you sail off the end of the world: Exactly what you expect.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Ok, so, my question is, aren't we falling off of the afterlife, not the world?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, so, my question is, aren't we falling off of the afterlife, not the world?
Both?

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Super cool that you guys met Chris Hemsworth.
Ah, Sexy Thor

GasBandit

GasBandit

I was just admiring the view from my balcony...

1616470807007.jpeg

But you know what? It needed a little something...

1616470835710.jpeg

There we go.

Celt Z

Celt Z

:facepalm:

PatrThom

PatrThom

It needed a little something...
...what, a handicap access ramp?
<peers closer>
Oh.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

...what, a handicap access ramp?
<peers closer>
Oh.

--Patrick
The ramp is Emrys' "I want to shoot at something below the rail" solution.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"Why is there leather in the berries chest??"

1616605522012.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

A beloved local landmark has been profanely vandalized.

1616630938663.jpeg

GasBandit

GasBandit

I made a big statue of a Troll Knight.

20210327205632_1.jpg
20210327205659_1.jpg
20210327210104_1.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

There is now a Valheim VR mod.

PatrThom

PatrThom

1617837348146.jpeg

Well really that’s the usual reason for not having Mac (or Linux) versions of most stuff. But you kinda expect anything described as “indie” is not gonna have a big enough development team to cover multiple platforms.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Patch today - noteworthy: a new terrain modification system. If you have existing terraforming, you'll need to convert it with a console command. You don't have to be an admin to use that console command (or any, really).

That said, I didn't see an FPS or load time improvement at my house after using the command, so, ymmv.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We're still all waiting for new content with bated breath... meanwhile, Worst Premade Ever has put out a Valheim video (finally).

Dei

Dei

GasBandit

GasBandit

Word on the street is there's gonna be a big buff for tower shields in H&H, too.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'll be honest, I saw this thread pop back up in new and my first thought was, "People still play Valheim?"

--Patrick

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

Is the server still as it was or has it reset? Also these updates might be a little few and far between to keep interest.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Is the server still as it was or has it reset? Also these updates might be a little few and far between to keep interest.
Still as it was.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just checked to make sure the Valheim server was current (it is), and noticed right now you're allowed to build maypoles. Usually they only do that as a temporary thing, so if you were thinking you might ever come back to this, you might want to log in just long enough to build a maypole. It just takes regular wood, dandelions, and thistles.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hearth and Home update is live. Server is updated.

Patch 0.202.14 (HEARTH & HOME)
General improvements

* Weapons rebalanced (All weapons have been rebalanced to be more viable as main weapon and also have more unique playstyles)
* Blocking system overhauled (Current maximum hp now greatly affects your ability to block attacks, stagger bar gui added)
* Naming tamed creatures
* Gamepad sensitivity settings
* Auto-pickup toggle button added
* Graphics settings (Active point lights & Active point light shadows)
* Tamed creatures affected by friendly fire setting (i.e you can’t hurt a tamed creature unless you enable friendly fire or use the new Butcher knife item)
* Various other improvements and bugfixes

Food

* Food rebalance (Most food items now give mainly stamina or mainly health to make food choices more interesting)
* Food GUI overhauled to work better with the rebalanced food
* Over 10 new things to eat (Actually 12)

World

* Tamed Lox now have a purpose
* Slimy locations & creatures added to plains
* New plantable seeds: Birch, Oak & Onions

Items

* New weapons: Crystal battleaxe, Silver knife
* New shields: Bone tower shield, Iron buckler
* Butcher knife (Special weapon for butchering tamed animals)
* Thunder stone (Sold by trader)
* Lox accessory

Building

* New Darkwood building pieces like shingle roofs, beams, decorations and more
* New types of furniture, including but not limited to a mighty stone throne and a steamy viking hot tub
* Crystal walls
* New types of stacks to show off your treasure and resources
* Cauldron improvements: Spice rack, Butcher’s table, Pots and pans
* Cartography table (For sharing map-data with other players)
* Oven added (For baking bread and pie)
* Obliterator added (Items be gone)
* Iron cooking station (Required to cook some types of meat)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh and in case it got missed, the INVERTED 45 DEGREE 1x1 WALL PIECE is finally in the game.

Vrii

Vrii

That's a lot more than I expected to be included in the update (rebalancing of weapons sounds pretty interesting!), but I don't think it's enough to go back and play more. Hopefully they've got their workflow sorted and enough bugs solved that future updates come a bit more quickly.

GasBandit

GasBandit

And yep, they were right, you can rename tamed animals now.

1631830091786.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

Unfortunately a lot of the new items to be built require tar, a new resource that spawns from creatures in Tar Pits, which are new set pieces that show up in Plains biomes.... but not in any already-generated areas. So, the existing map on the server needs a LOT of new exploration to find some tar pits, because all the exploration we've done has kinda boned us in that regard.

I guess it'd also be an option to farm tar in another map (like a single player game, or a separately hosted game) and then bring it back to this server.

Dei

Dei

Unfortunately a lot of the new items to be built require tar, a new resource that spawns from creatures in Tar Pits, which are new set pieces that show up in Plains biomes.... but not in any already-generated areas. So, the existing map on the server needs a LOT of new exploration to find some tar pits, because all the exploration we've done has kinda boned us in that regard.

I guess it'd also be an option to farm tar in another map (like a single player game, or a separately hosted game) and then bring it back to this server.
I mean, devs did say they wanted people to restart.

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

I mean, devs did say they wanted people to restart.
Let's restart!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Let's restart!
Alright, if YOU are in favor of restarting and losing all that massive stuff you built, then I'm on board too.

I'll create a new map on the server (but retain the old one in case we want to go back to it for whatever reason).

GasBandit

GasBandit

Server's rebooted running a fresh map. Did you enjoy having a nice house? Because now you don't :p (neither do I, I didn't even load up on supplies before I pulled the trigger)

Emrys

Emrys

Server's rebooted running a fresh map. Did you enjoy having a nice house? Because now you don't :p (neither do I, I didn't even load up on supplies before I pulled the trigger)
What?!?!

GasBandit

GasBandit

It wouldn't have been fair for me to load up on all my possessions when nobody else got the chance to do so.

If there's enough desire, I can reboot the server running the old map and everybody can load up, and then I can switch to the new one again. But there's something to be said for a fresh start, even if it's in a character with all the recipes unlocked and high level skills.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well that second one seems kind of important /headdesk

1631889962630.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

Looks like we need to get our own place this time. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Emrys and I have already started thing in motion on the new map.

This time around, I'd like to suggest that instead of separating and each building our own thing in miles-apart locations, maybe we should try to stick together and share resources. There's no real reason for us to have to strip-mine the entire world to supply 5 different forge setups and whatnot, when really one will do.

Of course, if everybody wants their own "living quarters" or house or whatever, more the merrier - but I think we'd all be better off if we consolidate our workshop into one location. And since we're starting out with the ability to make portals and whatever, you can still have a house in your favorite scenic location and whatnot.

There's an interesting wrinkle, too - Eikthyr's on the other side of a body of water that needs a boat to cross. Fortunately we have the wherewithal to build one, as our characters have the equipment and recipes from before still.

Looks like we need to get our own place this time. ;)
Hey, I bought you fair and square!

Emrys

Emrys

And I stole her from you. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

My thralls are revolting.

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

Emrys and I have already started thing in motion on the new map.

This time around, I'd like to suggest that instead of separating and each building our own thing in miles-apart locations, maybe we should try to stick together and share resources. There's no real reason for us to have to strip-mine the entire world to supply 5 different forge setups and whatnot, when really one will do.

Of course, if everybody wants their own "living quarters" or house or whatever, more the merrier - but I think we'd all be better off if we consolidate our workshop into one location. And since we're starting out with the ability to make portals and whatever, you can still have a house in your favorite scenic location and whatnot.

There's an interesting wrinkle, too - Eikthyr's on the other side of a body of water that needs a boat to cross. Fortunately we have the wherewithal to build one, as our characters have the equipment and recipes from before still.

Just make sure there is plenty of room. I have plans.

Emrys

Emrys

Hey, I took a bath recently!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes, I can smell them from here.

—Patrick

Dei

Dei

Wonder if I should make a whole new viking for this or just power game it lmao

Emrys

Emrys

Dei

Dei

Oh my God, stamina sucks so hard right now.

Dei

Dei

I just stuck a communal house by the spawn in, just for quick rested buffs when you get in. If that's a thing you care about. Don't really have time to do anything big, so I didn't even bother to go exploring yet to find whatever thing you started. It has Comfort 8. :| If anyone wants to stick a portal in it to whatever communal workshop we're making, feel free.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The workshop-in-progress is very close to the spawn-in, straight west. I've already got a charcoal kiln and furnace, and all the upgrades that don't need iron. Going to work on that next.

1631922281122.png

Emrys and I built a boat and took down Eikthyr. Anyone who needs it, feel free to borrow.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We have a cartography table at the workshop now too, which comes in handy since the map sharing mod is broken.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There is now a portal from Anna's starting-area structure to the workshop.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So now we've got a portal to a good sizeable swamp with some crypts in it so we can get iron, but we need the swamp key first, so we'll have to beat The Elder. I've also managed to find the elder and make a portal to his arena. But now we need the seed things we have to use to summon him.

My Porcupine Mace is getting pretty ragged, hope we can get some iron soon so we can finish upgrading the forge enough to do some repairs. It's already high enough to repair top level bows and armor, but not quite enough for black metal grade weapons.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Elder downed... time to get some iron.

GasBandit

GasBandit

All repairs are now possible at the workshop.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There is now a blue iron torch that uses greydwarf eyes for fuel. It is the best thing ever.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Still a work in progress but things are really coming along:

1632083324386.png

Got a BIGASS VOXEL WALL to keep the trolls and gray dwarfs from beating on shit, Got some bonfires going, a decent farming setup... still need to flesh out the main house with windows and trim and separate rooms, but the kitchen is coming together.

Celt Z

Celt Z

There is now a blue iron torch that uses greydwarf eyes for fuel. It is the best thing ever.
FINALLY.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Snuffles and I found some tar pits!

My hot tub is within reach!

1632193503356.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

So today, we went on a very meandering sea journey in search of missing resources. Finally found some silver.

1632278486110.png

I'm using a mod that lets you plant things like mushrooms, thistles, and berry bushes with the cultivator. It takes 5 of any given whatever to plant a "spawner" for it, but then each item will respawn itself in perpetuity with no replanting.... on a FIVE HOUR timer (real time) that is not accelerated by sleeping and stops advancing if nobody's on the server.

It looks pretty impressive at night though, with the yellow mushrooms and thistles glowing in the dark.

1632278613687.png

We finally have a hot tub! We need to finish fleshing out the house though so it has a better place to go. Preferably a high porch with an ocean view, I am thinking.

1632278696287.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

We finally have a hot tub! We need to finish fleshing out the house though so it has a better place to go. Preferably a high porch with an ocean view, I am thinking.

View attachment 38908
Oh good, now we have somewhere for @Dei to sleep!

GasBandit

GasBandit

The workshop and kitchen are now fully upgraded to be able to process any material!

Now we just need to grow barley and flax.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We have barley and flax growing in a plains farm.

Now the real business of making an aesthetically pleasing home can begin.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Now the real business of making an aesthetically pleasing home can begin.
Can you do that? :awesome:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Can you do that? :awesome:
I've already got fuling totems ready to go to stare at you in your sleep.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So what's the hottest mod on the nexus right now? Wellllllll...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Emrys

Emrys

Hard no.
Post automatically merged:

So what's the hottest mod on the nexus right now? Wellllllll...

Shocking.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Snuffles has achieved his lifelong dream.

1632671584047.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

I am jealous.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Celt Z

Celt Z

I know! But I've been so busy lately, and when I'm not busy I'm exhausted. By the time I can finally sit down and game again, you guys will all be over it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I know! But I've been so busy lately, and when I'm not busy I'm exhausted. By the time I can finally sit down and game again, you guys will all be over it.
The size of the project Snuffles has in the works, I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever play anything else, ever.

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

The size of the project Snuffles has in the works, I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever play anything else, ever.
If you could just get me 500,000 stone I could be done by now.

Emrys

Emrys

If you could just get me 500,000 stone I could be done by now.
:rofl:

Terrik

Terrik

Gosh, if I didnt have so many teeth to pull I could be doing this.

GasBandit

GasBandit

1632795451197.png

We have a breeding pair of ride-ready Lox.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, last night after everybody else had logged off for the night, there was a Fuling attack on the workshop area.

So, I guess not hanging the Forsaken boss trophies isn't a workaround for keeping the raid strength low.

We've only killed Eikthyr, the Elder, and Moder. Maybe it just goes straight up off structure build quality/wealth.

GasBandit

GasBandit

1632925114281.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

You know, for someone who hasn't watched Spongebob... :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

That was snuffles.

Bubble181

Bubble181

That was snuffles.
But now we all know Snuffles is just one of your nicknames, sooooo

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well that explains why there were so many of you online last night. I even saw OC!
That is also me.

—Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

From another channel, captioned: "Who needs a degree in architecture when you've got iron beams?"

beeeeams.png

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

When Keltsey's NOT standing RIGHT NEXT TO ME

Celt Z

Celt Z

Meanwhile, I just have to walk next to the water and the fish come to me.

So, where's the one moonwalking away from your lure? :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

Making good progress.

1633127087991.png

Got the first floor tidied up and spaced out a bit. Got separate bedrooms for myself and Emrys, Celt Z, and Snuffleupagus (Dei and her husband have their own house on the other side of a portal). Got some aesthetic trim going on and some furniture going (comfort level 14 in most places). Got my hot tub on the top floor with a scenic view of the surrounding land and water. The workshop and kitchen are 100% functional and completely upgraded, with all storage labeled and placed in the vicinity so the "craft from containers" mods have an easy time pulling ingredients. Still need a lot more furniture and stuff though, so a lot more fine wood, pelts, and metal are gonna be needed. Also a lot of tar needed so we can properly shingle the roof instead of thatch.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Got separate bedrooms for myself and Emrys
*gasp* trouble in paradise?! :aaah:

PatrThom

PatrThom

They have different ideas about decorating.

—Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

They have different ideas about decorating.

—Patrick
Tiles vs weasel-sized tubes?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Tiles vs weasel-sized tubes?
Mutually exclusive. You understand.

—Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

No, it's just that sometimes Emrys and I don't need him around.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Rooms for (Myself and Emrys), (Celt Z), and (Snuffles). Implied grouping by lack of comma there.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Today I discovered there is a grab-point on the figurehead of the longship, so you can be a badass as the hammer of the gods drives your ship to new lands.

1633229823354.png

Today I also discovered there is NOT a grab point at the rear of the ship, and if you try for one, you will tumble out and land in the wide, cold ocean with a splash, and then have to walk Keltsey through navigating the boat back to you before your stamina gives out and your armor drags you down to the depths.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Valheim Mythbusters: Don't try this at home!

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

All weapons now use less stamina (yaaay)
Knives now have more durability (yay..?)
Fulings will now try to surround you more instead of attack straight on (eep)
Parrying a ranged attack will now once again stagger the attacker (yaaay)
Food HP/Stamina levels rebalanced again (... we'll see)
Acorn and birch seed drop rates increased (yaaay)
Crystal walls are no longer comfort items (boooo)
Lox attacks now have longer cooldowns (good for hunting, bad for riding)
Night-spawn enemies now despawn faster when sun comes up (memories of what it took to tame a 2 star wolf... resurfacing...)
New item: Jack'o'Turnip (spoopy)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Fulings will now try to surround you more instead of attack straight on (eep)
Was it you or @Dave I heard saying to some unknown opponent: "Yes! That's right! Come straight at me, what a winning strategy that will be."

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Me playing New World. I’m a mage who blasts fire. When you run right at me it’s impossible for me to miss. So by the time they get to me they are dead or almost dead.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Thing is, Fulings were already kind of a bastard for trying to flank you. Depending on how much it is changing, this could make fuling fights VERY dangerous.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Norse life is good.

From the third floor of the house at the workshop, the hot tub has a panoramic ocean view. The water is warm, the company is agreeable, the mead is sweet, and the food is hearty.

Yagluth will soon meet his end (again). Soon as we find the bastige.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well fuck, can I just move in there?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well fuck, can I just move in there?
Sure, the instructions are right there in the first post.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

And just a reminder that the game now has manual join by IP built into the main menu, so you don't have to do the whole steam server browser thing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yagluth found!

Yagluth summoned!

Yagluth absolutely stomped us into the ground like golf tees. Wasn't even remotely a threat to him. Clearly we need to approach this differently. With fire resist potions and frost-based weapons, next time.

GasBandit

GasBandit

From the wiki:

Yagluth is fairly slow but has devastating attacks.
  • Nova: Yagluth raises his right fist which glows blue before slamming the ground, creating a short range spherical explosion. Anyone standing within the explosion radius will take 65 Fire, 65 Lightning 100 Chop and 100 Pickaxe damage. Blue fire will remain in the area for a short time dealing 100 Fire damage over time.
  • Meteors: Yagluth raises his left fist which glows red. Then burning stones fall from above and create a small explosion on the landing spots. Anyone hit takes 40 Blunt, 120 Fire, 50 Chop and 50 Pickaxe damage. The meteors fall from the sky at a slight angle which is from from the direction of Yagluth.
  • Fire Breath: Yagluth will occasionally breathe a beam-like fire in a straight line and slowly rotate to follow the player (if they are side-stepping). This rapidly deals several hits of 40 Fire, 20 Lightning, 50 Chop and 50 Pickaxe damage.
  • Environment aura that forces darkness and removes raining which means Wet from rain can't be used as Fire resistance.

Looking it up, though, I had assumed Chop and Pickaxe damage were just words for slashing and piercing, but apparently they're the special type of slashing and piercing damage that only affects terrain (chopping trees and crushing rock), so they don't actually damage players - they just cause terrain/structure damage.

So yeah, the primary concern here is the fire damage. And that tracks with what I experienced - usually it was the nova that got me with the after-burning effect.

Apparently you can also dodge the nova by rolling right when his fist comes down - rolling imparts a few invulnerability frames while you roll, so the initial slam will miss you - but the lingering burn will still be an issue. Hopefully the fire resistance wine will help with that.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I had assumed Chop and Pickaxe damage were just words for slashing and piercing, but apparently they're the special type of slashing and piercing damage that only affects terrain (chopping trees and crushing rock), so they don't actually damage players - they just cause terrain/structure damage.
That was my take, too. Glad you clarified.
Guess it just means you can't use terrain for cover. More than once, anyway.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

That was my take, too. Glad you clarified.
Guess it just means you can't use terrain for cover. More than once, anyway.

--Patrick
Yagluth's sacrificial altar is already missing several chunks.

Celt Z

Celt Z

So much dying... :aaah:

GasBandit

GasBandit

But now we can recuperate in the hot tub at 14,000 feet atop the craggy summit of Wolf Mountain, with a grand view of the ocean.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Seems like this is more appropriate for here than the regular meme thread

1634682216760.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

“Mjolnir? Damn near kilt ‘er!”

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Looks like the Mistlands update will also revamp the mountain biome with some caverns type stuff

GasBandit

GasBandit

It took a couple weeks for our scheduled to realign, but we finally got Yagluth down. It was a freaking struggle, mostly because the fight ranged all over the plains biome that Yagluth was in, and we kept running afoul of adds - first some Lox that did way more damage to me than Yagluth himself did, then constant deathsquitoes and fulings, and at one point there was a 2-star fuling that nearly caused a TPW. At another point, Yagluth called down a meteor shower that destroyed our portal and the building it was housed in, and I had to keep him busy/drag him away while Emrys rebuilt the portal so that Keltsey could get back from being dead.

But in the end, we prevailed. Some lessons learned:

1) There's a reason why some people tunnel under Yagluth's altar before they summon him, so they can go down there to rest. This is a LONG fight and stamina is a real problem. It'd be real nice to be able to hide to take a breather without having to worry about adds.
2) Fire resist barley wine is absolutely essential
3) Health regen mead lasts only a few seconds but has a 2 minute reuse cooldown >_<
4) Yagluth's close range attacks are actually pretty weak. If you get right in his face, he doesn't use his laser-breath, and his own giant head blocks the meteor showers from hitting you. His Point Blank Area of Effect fireblast can be dodge-rolled with pretty easy timing, the invulnerability you get during the roll makes the first blast miss, and the lingering fire damage can be handled pretty easily by fire resist wine.
5) Bonemass power is still a pretty good idea. Yagluth doesn't do a lot of physical damage, but boy oh boy do the adds.
6) Even with frost arrows, the DPS of archery from range is way too low. His natural health regeneration will outpace it unless you have like six people, and it's easy to get so hyperfocused on shooting him you don't see incoming meteor showers. Best to get up in his face with melee instead.
7) The meteor showers are by far his most dangerous attack. When he raises his left fist, you gotta immediately stop whatever you are doing (unless you're right under his chin) and just run in a straight line. The meteors don't "lead" you but they have a large area of impact, and if you're standing still they will fall directly on you and demolish you. You might think you're safe if you're far away from him, but if you are anywhere within sight of him when he raises his fist, you're probably gonna get at least one meteor.

PatrThom

PatrThom

3) Health regen mead lasts only a few seconds but has a 2 minute reuse cooldown >_<
Ooo, ouch.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

1639623320268.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

"AWOOO.."
"Hey, you mutts! Hush up, it's Christmas!"
"awoooo..."

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Patch notes: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3131694924763932004

"Caves" dungeons added to mountain biomes, some other QOL stuff, new crafting components and armor type.

Caves will only generate in not-previously-explored mountains. But when I updated the server, it said it tried to place 200 and could only place 91... so there ARE some out there. Just gonna have to go looking a bit to find them.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I did not know you still had the server even running.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I did not know you still had the server even running.

--Patrick
Yep. Most of my other servers have fallen by the wayside (though I can update and start them back up again at almost a moment's notice, aside from Empyrion), but Valheim is forever (Because it's SO low maintenance).

I had to begrudgingly shut down my KF2 server though because it was getting DDOS'd.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just a heads up, the patch this week changed how local games are stored. Doesn't matter to most people - but if you want to use mods, you're going to have to update your version of bepinex again.

If you don't want to use mods, you'll have to uninstall bepinex, as the old version will make the latest version of Valheim crash on launch, as per usual when Valheim updates.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

New hairstyles?!

—Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This is one of those games that I have and wish I had people to play with.

GasBandit

GasBandit

When Mistlands drops, I bet there will be a number of us getting back into the game again. And we'll have to start over more or less from scratch.

Cat

Cat

I've got it but haven't played much of it yet. It's pretty small so I'll probably put it on the steam deck later

GasBandit

GasBandit

There's a mod to add rope ladders to Valheim.

Apparently it has some bugs

Celt Z

Celt Z

Ahh, so THAT'S how you get to the Upside Down!

I miss having time to play this, bugs and all. :(

GasBandit

GasBandit

Celt Z

Celt Z

About time!

GasBandit

GasBandit

About time!
And just to be clear, it's not actually out yet. It's in the public beta phase.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Looks like I'll be working on updating the server today.

Probably gonna be some bepinex chicanery that needs to happen, too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, the current version of Bepinex actually does work.

But some of the mods have not been updated yet. Most notably the automatic inventory stack/deposit mod >_<

Edit, nm, that mod seems to be working without update. There are some other mods that need updates though, working on a package for it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

And in case anybody's forgotten the server connection info it is 50.24.115.34 port 42456 and the password is T****ksThong and you should know what those stars really are.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Probably going to go check it out later today. My family can cook for themselves, can't they?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1670363448041.png

Siiiiigh....oookay

GasBandit

GasBandit

Alright, I think I've got everything working again for mods - extract this zip into the root of your Valheim installation in your steam library, and you should be good.

Includes:
Latest version of Bepinex for Valheim (required for mods to work)
Plant Everything (Lets you plant any kind of plant, including berry bushes and mushrooms)
AutoFuel (lets fires, torches, etc fuel themselves from nearby containers using wood/resin/etc)
CameraMod (lets you "zoom" all the way into your character's head to play in first person view if you so desire)
CraftFromContainers (lets you craft and build using ingredients in nearby containers as if they were in your inventory)
FarmGrid (assists you in planting crops exactly as far apart as they need to be to grow)
FastLink (one-click connection to servers, with an entry preconfigured for my server)
MassFarming (lets you plant up to a 5x5 grid of crops simultaneously)
NoToolDelay (Lets you plant/harvest crops as fast as you can click with no cooldown)
QuickStack (lets you hit tilde ` to automatically deposit items from your inventory into nearby containers that already have some of that item in them)
RememberIPDammit (remembers the IP of the last server you connected to, might not work anymore)
ServerSideMap (oops, no longer really does anything now that cartography tables are a vanilla thing)
ShowMe (defaults your map to showing your location to others on the server instead of hiding)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

initial smoke test seems to be working for me.

Celt Z

Celt Z

They HAD to release this update right around Christmas, didn't they? Couldn't they have waited until January when I have nothing to do?!?

...Not that it's stopping me from playing, but not as much as I'd like.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Last night after everybody else had gone to bed, we got a blob raid, and an oozer managed to jump the wall. Before I could deal with it it killed all but two of the Boars.

I'll be raising the height of the wall to maximum today.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also this does not bode well for any base that isn't fort spawnpoint

GasBandit

GasBandit

And in case that makes anybody nervous, I just verified that the server IS in fact making automatic save backups every 12 hours, and I just created a task to back up the backups.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

AGH stop I'm having Empyrion flashbacks.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

So why haven't they incorporated these traditions into the Valheim Yule celebration?!? :rofl:

In Iceland, Christmas is ruled by Jólakötturinn, The Yule Cat, a gigantic black feline that roams the countryside devouring anyone who isn’t wearing any new clothing. The legend of The Yule cat was said to have been started by farmers to frighten their workers into completing their work by Christmas. Yay, Capitalism!

Because a mountain-sized cat eating you for being off-trend isn’t frightening enough, Icelandic Christmas traditions also include The Yule Lads. Like a Bizarro-world versions of Santa’s Elves, The 13 Yule Lads roam the countryside bedeviling all. A sample of their ways: Stekkjarstaurm, (Sheep Harasser) is known for his two wooden legs (and for harassing sheep.) Stúfur (Stubby) steals pans to eat the crust therein. Gluggagægir (Window Peeper) looks in windows for something to steal, and Ketkrókur (Meat-hook), uses a hook to steal meat. Just a little something to think about when you’re nestled all snug in your bed.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So today I discovered one of the dozens of new recipes that scrolled by us instantly was Wisp Torches.

You can build these anywhere, 1 wisp + 1 yggdrasil wood, and they never need refueling and they push back the mistlands mist.

/headdesk

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, this guy sure knows how to make a thumbnail that gets me to click.

Apparently Ooze bombs are useful now.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Well, this guy sure knows how to make a thumbnail that gets me to click.

Apparently Ooze bombs are useful now.
NO ONE IN VALHEIM LOOKS LIKE THAT
... I would have made it already.

GasBandit

GasBandit

NO ONE IN VALHEIM LOOKS LIKE THAT
... I would have made it already.
There are ways to make it happen, but it's a lot more complicated than the mods we're already using.

Celt Z

Celt Z

It's not that important to me, tbh. I'm happy with my normal, glassy-eyed stare.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Maybe she's born with it. Maybe it's a VRM

1671569708898.png

1671569798216.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

Maybe she's born with it. Maybe it's a VRM

View attachment 43288

View attachment 43289
So, the first one is you, the second one is @Snuffleupagus, right?

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, the first one is you, the second one is @Snuffleupagus, right?
This is the way.

1671570724582.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

The funniest part about this one is the character name >_<

1671570817831.png

I like how these also show that the hunchback posture is deliberately coded in by the valheim team and not part of the actual character models.

PatrThom

PatrThom

They have the Homer soul donut, but they're not Turing complete until they include the human-texture-over-horse-model version.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Here's the (pre-mistlands) Valheim world-record speedrun holder, explaining how he beat all the bosses (through Yagluth obviously) in just over 4 hours.

(TLDR version: Campfires are still boss killers)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dei

Dei

Doesn't work in multiplayer AFAIK

GasBandit

GasBandit

Next major update will be Ashlands, ETA is still "whenever."

Celt Z

Celt Z

Next major update will be Ashlands, ETA is still "whenever."

But isn't the whole game the afterlife? Are we going to the land of the dead...er?

Ugh, nothing important in this stupid ar-
There’s also an update called Hildir’s Quest in the works, which seems to be clothing-focused

GasBandit

GasBandit

It doesn't happen often, but apparently my IP address changed. you'll need to change the Azumatt.Fastlink_servers.yml in valheim/bepinex/config to have my address be gasbandit.zapto.org if you want the quick server list to keep working.

I should have set it that way in the first place, but previous valheim connection methods didn't seem to support DNS resolution, so I had to use numeric IP octets.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Celt Z

Celt Z

Hair not in helmet! Dverger door!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hair not in helmet! Dverger door!
Now if only we could combine the Dvergr circlet WITH a helmet.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have incorporated this chicken autofarm design into our barn.

Seems to work pretty well

1674977891639.png

Basically you just throw stacks of seeds against the backboards so they land right at the edge of the platform against these hens, so that they can eat and breed and lay eggs without ever having to move. 45 degree roof tiles below them funnel the eggs down the chute to the collection point. Since the Hens are 14 meters above where the eggs come to rest, the game never tells them to stop laying eggs due to overcrowding.

1674978004014.png

Getting the seeds to be in the EXACT right place though can be a bit of a pain. Supposedly there's a way to do it with just one stack of seeds per pair but I had better results just giving each hen its own stack.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh yeah. THIS is going well.

1675033045644.png

Having completely filled the egg chest in the kitchen, I put an extra little roof thing there to deflect the eggs coming down the chute to be in range of the fire so they hatch. And a couple game-days later, boy are they hatching. Soon I will have WAY more chicken meat than I ever bargained for.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Oh yeah. THIS is going well.

View attachment 43706

Having completely filled the egg chest in the kitchen, I put an extra little roof thing there to deflect the eggs coming down the chute to be in range of the fire so they hatch. And a couple game-days later, boy are they hatching. Soon I will have WAY more chicken meat than I ever bargained for.
I warned you this was going to become a Pig Chute situation, but noooOOOOOOooooo....!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I warned you this was going to become a Pig Chute situation, but noooOOOOOOooooo....!
It is nowhere near as aesthetically abhorrent as the pig chute, nor as psychologically ghastly. It's just lots of chickens.

Too many chickens.

I'm feeling a palapble performance hit to my FPS waiting for these chicks to hit adulthood.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Looks like the changes to fishing are also in the right direction.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Yay! Good thing I'm almost done with Pokemon.

I'd imagine the wolves are happy over one of those patches.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'd imagine the wolves are happy over one of those patches.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There was a big bugfix patch a couple days ago. The server is updated for it, but bear in mind pretty much all the mods are now broken, and will prevent you from playing.

You will need to update Bepinex
And even then you will need to empty out the plugins folder.
Fastlink has updated
Also Craft Build Smelt Cook Fuel Pull From Containers
and Plant Everything

But other mods have not updated yet, and one of the other ones I had was preventing the game from working right (getting stuck under the world). I don't have the patience to figure out which one right now because there's no new content yet (other than re-enabling the summer content, maypoles and flower crowns).

I'll check back probably on the weekend and see if more mods have updated.

GasBandit

GasBandit

FarmGrid and MassFarming mods have updated. Still waiting on the first person mod, tooldelay and quickstack >_< oh and better wisp light, of course

GasBandit

GasBandit

Quickstack has updated. Actually it's a new and improved version of it, where it can now automatically restock your ammo/food with a secondary command. Default stack and restock keys are P and L.
A different First Person Mode has updated and is available.

With this, all the "critical" mods (or at least what I consider critical) have been updated. The Farmgrid and Massfarming mods are now incompatible, unfortunately, but really MassFarming sort of supersedes Farmgrid in most cases, so it's not a big deal to stop using the latter.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Server's updated again. Mods are all updated. You can get the current mod pack in the usual place, if you've gotten mods from me in the past. If you've forgotten where that is, PM me.