Export thread

Ultimate vidya game music mix!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Post here your favorite video game music, either from the actual soundtrack of a game, or simply music about or inspired by a video game.

Stuff like this:

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Let's get McGroovey in here!:

PatrThom

PatrThom

...of course.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

strawman

strawman

I'm partial to the portal music, but beyond that this is the one that came to mind:

Draxo

Draxo

(start at about 1:10)

PatrThom

PatrThom

My personal favorite of "doing more with less:" (Solstice NES)

And then doing more with more: (Rock cover of same)

--Patrick

Cog

Cog

Hylian

Hylian

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Say what you want about the game's ending - this is pretty haunting from Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 2 had some pretty good music too.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Anything by Malukah the Bard.

http://www.youtube.com/user/malufenix

bhamv3

bhamv3

So, it's Monday. I'm suffering from severe mondayitis at work, completely unmotivated, despite all the stuff I have to do.

And then I listen to this.

Now I'm filled with motivation and energy.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, it's Monday. I'm suffering from severe mondayitis at work, completely unmotivated, despite all the stuff I have to do.

You need this in your life.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Here's my favorite version of "To Far Away Times" from Chrono Trigger.

And here's a great original piece by Tanooki Suit for Dark Souls called Lord Vessel.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Now, the Fresh Prince of 3D World.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

OCRemix always hosts some fantastic remixes. A few favorites:

Here's my VG playlist, all kinds of stuff in here. There's a chunk of deleted videos I haven't cleaned out yet, I think one of the channels I used to link to got ID blasted.

bhamv3

bhamv3

So... someone made a mod that changes the Dark Carnival finale music in L4D2 into a rock version of the Skyrim theme. It's surprising how well it works.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I played so fucking much of this game. During summer break from school, my cousin would come over, and we'd stay up for 48 hours straight playing the shit out of this game (among others) while overdosing on caffein.

And then I'd sleep for like three straight days. Probably wasn't the healthiest of lifestyles.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So... this was hidden in the Payday 2 Christmas Heist update.

For those wondering, that's the voice of the original Hoxton from Payday 1, who is apparently also a singer. A nice treat, but what everyone REALLY wants is Old Hoxton's voice instead of new Hoxton.

Frank

Frank

So, Star Control 2, my favourite game of all time, had some great music (among many of it's incredible things) for it's time. Each alien theme fit it's species like a glove.

Lazy eyed Commander Hayes, of the Earth space station, and his never ending techno dance party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXeMgY4gpQQ

The silicon based cyborg race, the Chmmr, one of humanities only staunch allies.

Ruthless backstabbing space capitalists, the Druuge of the Crimson Corporation.

The tragic Yehat, matriarchal warrior pterodactyls, forced into fealty in order to save their honor.

The blustering Thraddash, a species so full of their own shit, they've nuclear holocausted themselves back into the stone age several times.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Mad World was a totally fun title from Platinum Games that no one played because it was on the Wii. You play as Jack, an agent that has infiltrated a murderous gameshow where the island of Manhattan has been cut off from the outside and its inhabitants forced to kill each other to survive the game.

And of course it has an amazing soundtrack to go with all the carnage.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I will not apologize for dubstep. (this time)

Frank

Frank

The Ur-Quan, the eponymous villains of the game!

Now, let's listen to Legacy of Kain music.

Ozar Midrashim by Information Society, the theme to Soul Reaver.

That theme got replaced by this tune for 2 and Defiance. It's a fine song but tis no Ozar Midrashim, English.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey there. Sit back, put on a pair of headphones*, and instantly be transported back to 1994. (Lemmings)

--Patrick
*(They're required for this mix)

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Here is the first-ever piece of music from the upcoming Mighty no.9.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Do you like the music from Skyrim?

Do you like the music from Pirates of the Caribbean?

Well then, you'll probably like this.

Frank

Frank

Bump!

GTA Vice City's theme was really fucking fantastic.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The ending theme to God Hand.

Gryfter

Gryfter

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ooo, Jon Anderson. I didn't know he was still performing, what with all his respiratory problems.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This still cracks me up after all these years.
\

Also, from my all-time favourite game:

I still love listening to the whole soundtrack to Final Fantasy IV.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Ooo, Jon Anderson. I didn't know he was still performing, what with all his respiratory problems.

--Patrick
Well this was from the first Homeworld game, c1999, so... he may still not be performing.

Celt Z

Celt Z

It's older, but it's still one of my favorites. I liked it enough to use it at my wedding reception. No regrets.

I find myself listening to this version a lot. It makes a beautiful classical adaptation.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Celt Z reminded me of my wedding. My friend who's a violinist played this instead of here comes the bride:

And when the wedding was over and we were walking out (herself playing Mario stuff in the video):

Frank

Frank

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Honestly, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U has a lot of great remixes and original versions of classic game songs, so I'll just post one favorite of mine.

Frank

Frank

Bump for justice. Here's some video game inspired music by musician and podcaster, Gavin Dunne aka Miracle of Sound. Also, his Niko song is the one that opened the thread oh so long ago.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Digging through some CDs for Godzilla music, I stumbled upon a CD-R, no tracks or anything, just marked Ecco the Dolphin. The music is gorgeous, re-composition and mixes of themes from different Ecco games, and after a lot of Googling, I discovered the music is from a 1996 CD, Ecco: Songs of Time. As with everything nowadays, it can be found on Youtube.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I know acapella's not everyone's thing, but hooray Smooth is back!

Frank

Frank

Another rad Miracle of Sound song I like about a game I loathe. A lot of his music totally transcends the games he's tributing.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Ferdk on Youtube cranks out some pretty solid covers.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Sheesh. I'm listening on tiny speakers right now, and the bassline might as well not even be there.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Casting resurrection.

These guys do great guitar duet covers.

Dei

Dei

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Nathan Sharp is a talented guy.

He also does his own lyrics and Protomen-esque style of homage songs.

Also also, anime and pop/rock/metal covers, too.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Because Patrick kindly notified me that some of my videos no longer work:

This one was:

So... someone made a mod that changes the Dark Carnival finale music in L4D2 into a rock version of the Skyrim theme. It's surprising how well it works.

This one was:

(seriously awesome, btw)

Do you like the music from Skyrim?

Do you like the music from Pirates of the Caribbean?

Well then, you'll probably like this.

And this was this one, except only once and not repeated for an hour:

PatrThom

PatrThom

Because Patrick kindly notified me that some of my videos no longer work:
I went back and tagged my vids, too. That way if they ever get pulled, at least people will know what used to be there.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I went back and tagged my vids, too. That way if they ever get pulled, at least people will know what used to be there.

--Patrick
Yeah, I have no idea what my missing vids were

GasBandit

GasBandit

(seriously awesome, btw)
First thought was too many ponies. Second thought was AMMO ON THE STAGE OMFG easy moders. :D

But here's the artist's original of that song cover.

[DOUBLEPOST=1456960131,1456959878][/DOUBLEPOST]In unrelated news, I wish this guy was still making videos.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

How do you do this with a KAZOO holy shit

PatrThom

PatrThom

How do you do this with a KAZOO holy shit
It's no different than what Smooth McGroove does, this guy's just doing it with a kazoo stuck in his mouth.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also

[DOUBLEPOST=1460426466,1460426137][/DOUBLEPOST]And this too

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also Also

[DOUBLEPOST=1460428520,1460428211][/DOUBLEPOST]AND THIS. OF COURSE.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Someone's been busy.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Someone's been busy.

--Patrick
Keeps me sane working on models.

ALSO THIS.

General Specific

General Specific

The Soul Calibur series has always had great music.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Posting these guys again, because it's just some great work as usual and they always pick fantastic songs.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I guess this is why Act III has been taking so god damn long.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Aw yeah, new Vomitron video. This time it's Castlevania 2!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Frank

Frank

I was thinking about Devil's Crush and how it was the raddest game on the TG16. It has an Uhmazing main theme.

Then I found out there's an incredible heavy metal arrangement of it, which is spot on perfect.

PatrThom

PatrThom

HOW did I not see this when it first came out?

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oooh, I like this FF7 battle music cover by Gingertail. (@GasBandit because redhead)

Also, Bastion "Setting Sail, Coming Home"

and Hollow Knight theme

PatrThom

PatrThom

I know I heard somewhere that @Ravenpoe really likes this tune:

EDIT: FF XIV Shadowbringers main theme - Alternate link

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I know I heard somewhere that @Ravenpoe really likes this tune:

--Patrick
Damnit, I'm no longer in the shower, now I gotta fight my coworkers

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Been doing the Lakshmi fight in FF14, and the music is awesome. In-game Lakshmi is a goddess that seeks to put everyone to sleep, to forego the world for her beautiful dream.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Been doing the Lakshmi fight in FF14, and the music is awesome. In-game Lakshmi is a goddess that seeks to put everyone to sleep, to forego the world for her beautiful dream.
The one thing that Blizzard can't even come close to, at all, is Square Enix's music. Even the weaker tracks (like Thok ast Thok, which I can only describe as 'What if Thorin Oakenshield wanted to beat your ass to a WALTZ?") are technical masterpieces. That aren't afraid to reuse classic themes or remix tracks ether... my current favorite (A Long Fall) is a remix of several Alexander and Crystal Tower themes, combined and speed up, with a rocking guitar track laid on top.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The one thing that Blizzard can't even come close to, at all, is Square Enix's music. Even the weaker tracks (like Thok ast Thok, which I can only describe as 'What if Thorin Oakenshield wanted to beat your ass to a WALTZ?") are technical masterpieces. That aren't afraid to reuse classic themes or remix tracks ether... my current favorite (A Long Fall) is a remix of several Alexander and Crystal Tower themes, combined and speed up, with a rocking guitar track laid on top.
And you know shit's going down when there's lyrics.

Frank

Frank

Got damn do I love the soundtrack to Warhammer 40K Mechanicus.

Coupla favs

PatrThom

PatrThom

TIL about the Bored Piano channel.

—Patrick

Frank

Frank

I'm on a real Mega Man X 1-3 metal covers mix and there's SOOOO many, but that's not a surprise since those soundtracks are fucking amazing on their own.

PatrThom

PatrThom

One author/writer's opinion, of course, but relevant to this thread.

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Dei

Dei

That concert was so good. I imagine being there in person is amazing. I love going to video game music concerts.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That concert was so good. I imagine being there in person is amazing. I love going to video game music concerts.
I liked that we got some stuff from Deltarune/Deltarune Ch. 2 at the end. Apparently Ch. 2 is only a few months away.

Frank

Frank

So I've been playing a good deal of FF14. I cannot stress how one of the major upsides in the impossibly large soundtrack of incredible music. I think other than some of the amazing callback music from FF6 that shows up, my absolute favourite track so far in the game is the Azys Lla overworld theme and the remix that's used for the solo duty's there during the Warring Triad trials.

Particularly starting around 2:10.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So I've been playing a good deal of FF14. I cannot stress how one of the major upsides in the impossibly large soundtrack of incredible music. I think other than some of the amazing callback music from FF6 that shows up, my absolute favourite track so far in the game is the Azys Lla overworld theme and the remix that's used for the solo duty's there during the Warring Triad trials.

Particularly starting around 2:10.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I guess some minor Shadowbringers spoilers

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't know why, but I have this music stuck in my head.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't know why, but I have this music stuck in my head.

Have I introduced you to Vomitron? (video queued up to proper time index)

bhamv3

bhamv3

So, is it just me or does the Super Smash Bros Ultimate main theme really slap?

PatrThom

PatrThom

It does sound very anime credits, doesn't it?

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Bastion "Setting Sail, Coming Home" cover by Gingertail

PatrThom

PatrThom

Because it would be unlawful to confine this to just the discord channel:

This is amazing on multiple levels. Not just because of the skill of the performers, but also because you can frequently tell which prog band(s) they are musically emulating: ELO, ELP, Rush, The Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, even Pink Floyd and probably others I don't know well enough to recognize.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Crossposted from RVC:

========
Personally I'm more a fan of (the covers of):

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

For me, the MOD music from the crack installer was just as much a part of the experience of the game as the game music itself.

Frank

Frank

I'll forever be left completely befuddled how we got three (two I guess really) seasons of a half-way decent Castlevania cartoon and they only used one classic Castlevania tune throughout the whole run of the show. A series where even the Gameboy titles had absolutely killer soundtracks. That could be forgiven if the cartoon soundtrack was killer too..but I can't even remember the opening theme.

chris

chris

I'll forever be left completely befuddled how we got three (two I guess really) seasons of a half-way decent Castlevania cartoon and they only used one classic Castlevania tune throughout the whole run of the show. A series where even the Gameboy titles had absolutely killer soundtracks. That could be forgiven if the cartoon soundtrack was killer too..but I can't even remember the opening theme.

Japanese companies are notorious difficult with licensing rights.

Frank

Frank

That makes sense when talking about Dragon Quest (since that old fascist that just died owned all the rights) but I'm pretty sure Konami owns the soundtracks lock and stock but even the Dragon Quest anime adaptations have WAAAAAAY more Dragon Quest music than the Castlevania series does.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bumping this thread with something awesome.

I used to do tracking back in the day. This video is pure nostalgia crack for me.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah Tim Follin is top center, cuz he'd better be top center.

EDIT: Ha! The soundtrack chosen at the CD portion also happens to be the game that became the CD format's killer app.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Tim Follin is overrated!

/quickly changes ringtone from Silver Surfer NES opening titles.

PatrThom

PatrThom

(also the behind-the-scenes rehearsal version here)

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It took until the fifth one to get to RULES OF NATURE?!? Blasphemy

PatrThom

PatrThom

It took until the fifth one to get to RULES OF NATURE?!? Blasphemy
*fourth

Man, I've only played one of these games (KI).

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Someday...

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So apparently Ace Combat 7 just had some DLC drop for a movie tie-in with Top Gun: Maverick. Has some special plane variants and paints (including Maverick and Iceman skins for the Tomcat)... but that's not the best part. No, the best part is Keiki Kobayashi did a fucking instrumental remix version of Kenny Loggin's "Danger Zone" in the style of Ace Combat.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Not a remix, but from the new Ninja Turtles game itself. This soundtrack is a blast to listen to while you're playing! For example, in one of the levels the Turtles are surfing through the sky on rocket boards above the city. This song that's playing through the whole level just makes you think you're a kid in the late 80's again watching the old show!

PatrThom

PatrThom

It sounds almost like a Weird Al version would come out in a year or so.

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They've got some positively killer hip hop tracks too.

That one's got MegaRan doing his usual thing with some amazing sax backing. But the next one?

... it's got fucking Raekwon and Ghostface Killah. Yes, this game has the fucking WU-TANG CLAN doing tracks for it!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Not a remix, but from the new Ninja Turtles game itself. This soundtrack is a blast to listen to while you're playing! For example, in one of the levels the Turtles are surfing through the sky on rocket boards above the city. This song that's playing through the whole level just makes you think you're a kid in the late 80's again watching the old show!

I was grooving so hard to this song when we played that level.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was grooving so hard to this song when we played that level.
Lopes on loop is a real thing in my playlists

bhamv3

bhamv3

Having never played Ocarina of Time before, I was unaware that Gerudo Valley is a banger of a song.

I am now aware of it.

I particularly like the SSBU version of it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Having never played Ocarina of Time before, I was unaware that Gerudo Valley is a banger of a song.

I am now aware of it.

I particularly like the SSBU version of it.

I had the OoT soundtrack from Nintendo power as a kid, and Gerudo Valley by far got the most play

PatrThom

PatrThom

(20 Rock/Metal Riffs in Video Games)

--Patrick