Tools of the trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a topic about what materials we use to make our art would be interesting - to learn and to inspire.

Back when I was a poor student, I managed to blow $300 on an Intuos2 Wacom tablet which brought me a lot of pleasure and today I ordered the Intuos4 which should inspire me again to get me to start designing more!

Other than that, I'm really a digital artist with my favorite software being
- Photoshop - for pretty much any editing
- ACDSee Pro - faster than Adobe Bridge and lots of cool features + fast preview
- Corel Painter - great for when you want to emulate real physical art like crayons, pencils, oil painting, aquarels, etc. Not too expensive either

T

TwoBit

I still have an old Wacom Graphire2 tablet that I bought back in '02. Haven’t used it much in the past couple of years. My feeble drawing skills have atrophied.

Man, I have an older wacom that I used the HELL out of... it's been ages since I've used it though... my artist bent has been in under directions for the last few years... it makes me sad to look at it gathering dust :(

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Oh, since it's about tools though:
Currently I use:
Small M-Audio Keyboard
Full size Yamaha Keyboard
AKG Perception 200 Condensor Mic
Mac Pro
Logic Studio
Epiphone Guitar
Gearbox
PodXT
M-Audio FastTrack Pro

That's my studio.

Got any examples of your work?
I mostly design textures & skins so let me see if I can find some to upload - a flat texture is not going to do it justice though. Modern (DDS) textures have different layers which need to be seen in-game to be properly shown off. The trick is to get the bump map texture and the specular texture to really make the normal texture shine (literary :p).

Besides that, I do a bit of everything: I restore photographs for people and I'm pretty damn good at that (been doing that for 15 years), I design and sell stuff on Second Life as well and make the occasional quick sketch for a friend like the one below (which was made in 15 minutes or so, so don't mind the lack of detail).

Status
Not open for further replies.