To the Unregistered Person who posted the Work Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
I'm sorry. I accidentally deleted the thread. moderating threads in vB sucks ass.

His/her question is asking about working in IT for 3 years, then taking a warehouse position for a year. He/she was asking about what to say to a hiring IT manager about why he/she did the warehouse gig.

My answer:

Hmmm. My answer would be slightly different if you have a family or not.

If you have a family:

Let the managers know that with the IT field in a strong state of flux you felt you needed something a little more stable for your family. Cite examples of businesses that were laying off, closing, etc. Now that the job market is turning around you feel that you can again utilize your core talents to the benefit of everyone. Alternately, you can tell them that at the time you were unwilling to relocate.

If you don't have a family:

Tell them that at the time of your company merging and layoffs starting you got an offer to work at the warehouse. It's not anything you'd ever done before and thought it would be interesting to get a new perspective and learn a new skill. But you miss the office, the challenge of coding/helpdesk/whatever and feel revitalized and eager to get back into it.

Most IT HR people know how difficult it was/is in the field. Make it positive, don't bash your old job and you'll do fine.

Be honest. If you quit, then there are many reasons to quit and settle for a different job. If you were fired or laid off, be honest about it, they will be fine.

"My previous IT position had several disadvantages. The company did not invest enough in IT to maintain their equipment, and so rather than pursuing opportunities to bring technology to the workers and enable them to be more productive, I spent most of my time fighting fires and keeping the systems running. I could see from this decision, and others they were making, that they were not interested in moving the company, as a whole, forward to meet the challenges of tomorrow, and provide their customers with better services - they were simply extracting as much money from the company and employees as they could. I chose to leave prior to finding a better IT position due to the work schedule, which precluded a reasonable job search. Further, I wanted a great fit with a new company, rather than simply hiring with the best available opening. It turns out that I learned a lot working within a warehouse which I can apply to my IT discipline, on top of being able to spend a reasonable amount of time finding the best fit for me and my future employer without worrying about financial constraints."

You can turn any "disadvantage" into an advantage. The only problem with the above statement is that since you spent so much time fighting fires you might not be up on the latest technologies. That should be dealt with in the technical portion of the interview, though, and you can indicate how you still pursued and learned such technologies, even in such a bad environment.

Dave

Staff member
It turns out that I learned a lot working within a warehouse which I can apply to my IT discipline, on top of being able to spend a reasonable amount of time finding the best fit for me and my future employer without worrying about financial constraints.
I like this. Nicely done!

Status
Not open for further replies.