Titanfall (beta)

Necronic

Staff member
Anyone else in the Titanfall beta? It's a pretty good game. A little thin at the moment, but given time this game will be the shit.

Just got my code today & finished the tutorial. Won't get a chance to play some until after the basketball game, but looks pretty interesting so far.

Your losses I guess. I've been on the fence about this game for a while so this will give me a decent chance to test drive before deciding if I wanna drop 60 bucks.

In other news, they decided tonight to stress the server load, so now beta access is open to all - at least for XBone.

Necronic

Staff member
Origin is here to stay, and it's not that bad anymore. Granted, you only get one chance to make a first impression, but writin Origin off for life means you will miss a lot of gems.

Yeah, I just ain't gonna play it. I'm not into multiplayer shooters enough to bother with anything EA's involved in, no matter how it turns out. The servers will be a fucking mess at launch, no doubt.

I won't go to a restaurant where the maitre d' is snooty and treats me like he thinks I'm going to steal their silverware, no matter how good the food is. This is not necessarily failing to distinguish between the maitre d' and the chef, I recognize that the chef does great work and has no control over how the maitre d' acts. But unfortunately, going to the restaurant gets me the whole package, chef plus maitre d', so I choose to eat elsewhere.

Also, the maitre d' keeps trying to charge me extra for steak sauce on my steak.

GasBandit

Staff member
A better analogy - like I won't eat at a restaurant whose ownership is financing NAMBLA, no matter how good the chef is.

Necronic

Staff member
Ah the NAMBLA Godwin.

I can't really fault you guys for your principles. That said, as an unprincipled traitor I enjoyed the hell out of BF4 and I will enjoy the hell out of Titanfall.

Meh, one thing I've learned is that Halforums can hold a grudge.

As for the game itself, I'm still torn. It seems to play like a Halo / CoD mix with the Titan element thrown in. You get customizable loadouts for both pilots & Titans, but there doesn't seem to be much variety - I'm hoping that this is just because of the beta aspect giving a slightly stripped down version. Example - I only see 5 main pilot weapons to choose from, 3 of which are standardly available from the get-go. Unlock an SMG at lvl 6 & a sniper rifle at 9. Also only available are Atlas class titans, of which I'm pretty sue there are at least a couple more that have been teased in trailers.

Limited game mode availablity - I've played mostly Attrition (team deathmatch), and a couple of games of Hardpoint (Domination). Standard FPS PvP with a few bots thrown in. Looks like you get a titan availble to use 2 minutes after your first kill, & subsequent kills take time off that countdown. As usual I suck, & my average length of time spent in a titan before it gets destroyed is less than 30 seconds. Also, some weird thing where upon completion of the match objective (first team to 250 points, etc) there is about a 45 second epilogue where the losing teams tries to run to an evac point before being killed. Not sure what that's all about.

So still undecided on it. Will depend on how much more customization is available in the full game I guess.

Why not? If someone does you wrong and never apologizes or fixes the mistake, why forgive and give another chance?
So, do you stop watching every movie made by Universal Pictures? Because they've made some shitty ass movies and never gave me my money back.

I don't pay to watch shitty movies.
You don't have to pay to play shitty games, either.[DOUBLEPOST=1392620191,1392620090][/DOUBLEPOST]The point being, just like EVERY other entertainment based company, their goal is to make money. What matters is whether the product is good or not.

So, do you stop watching every movie made by Universal Pictures? Because they've made some shitty ass movies and never gave me my money back.
I don't think that's a very good analogy. The problem with EA isn't that they release bad games, it's that they are a greedy, money-grubbing, don't-care-about-consumers company.

Imagine a film company that would buy up the rights to your favorite film franchises, then release films that are obvious cash grabs. Bond films with Justin Bieber as Bond. A sequel to the Godfather where the Corleone family move to California and have wet t-shirt contests for the rest of the movie. Avengers 3 is split up into three films, and if you want to watch the ending to the second film, you need to pay extra.

Now, the Avengers 3 trilogy may very well be the awesomest films ever. Lots of people may be very happy to pay an extra nine ninety-five to watch the complete ending to the second film. But such a business practice would still leave bad tastes in mouths everywhere.[DOUBLEPOST=1392620692,1392620636][/DOUBLEPOST]
You don't have to pay to play shitty games, either.[DOUBLEPOST=1392620191,1392620090][/DOUBLEPOST]The point being, just like EVERY other entertainment based company, their goal is to make money. What matters is whether the product is good or not.
There are varying shades of gray to this though. Is it possible to make a good product while building goodwill among your customers?

I don't think that's a very good analogy. The problem with EA isn't that they release bad games, it's that they are a greedy, money-grubbing, don't-care-about-consumers company.

Imagine a film company that would buy up the rights to your favorite film franchises, then release films that are obvious cash grabs. Bond films with Justin Bieber as Bond. A sequel to the Godfather where the Corleone family move to California and have wet t-shirt contests for the rest of the movie. Avengers 3 is split up into three films, and if you want to watch the ending to the second film, you need to pay extra.

Now, the Avengers 3 trilogy may very well be the awesomest films ever. Lots of people may be very happy to pay an extra nine ninety-five to watch the complete ending to the second film. But such a business practice would still leave bad tastes in mouths everywhere.[DOUBLEPOST=1392620692,1392620636][/DOUBLEPOST]

There are varying shades of gray to this though. Is it possible to make a good product while building goodwill among your customers?
Have you watched the Fantastic Four movies? What you're describing already happens. Hollywood botches beloved franchises all the time. Your Avengers 3 analogy can also be applied to the Hobbit movies.[DOUBLEPOST=1392620935][/DOUBLEPOST]Again, my point is, blindly saying that everything put out by one company is going to automatically suck is kind of myopic. Quite frankly, if people were as outraged about all this as it is claimed, EA would have gone out of business years ago.

Quite frankly, if people were as outraged about all this as it is claimed, EA would have gone out of business years ago.
Quite frankly the general media consuming public is a bunch of mindless slop eating idiots.
It's why reality tv exists, movies like Transformers get 4 films, and EA stays in business.

Once a company has put out enough bad garbage, refuses to change their line of thinking, they permanently lose my business. Unless there is massive restructure or some kind of acknowledgement of mistakes (which won't happen because of the general media public) then I stick by my feelings on the subject. It's why I didn't watch any other Marvel related movies after X-2 that were produced by Fox or any Transformer movie after the first. I also will not buy a single EA product.

Have you watched the Fantastic Four movies? What you're describing already happens. Hollywood botches beloved franchises all the time. Your Avengers 3 analogy can also be applied to the Hobbit movies.[DOUBLEPOST=1392620935][/DOUBLEPOST]Again, my point is, blindly saying that everything put out by one company is going to automatically suck is kind of myopic. Quite frankly, if people were as outraged about all this as it is claimed, EA would have gone out of business years ago.
Well, yes, Hollywood does it already. And people called the Fantastic Four movies shit, which they are. That doesn't refute my point at all, namely that EA are profit-oriented at the expense of gamer goodwill. Just because some Hollywood studios do it too doesn't make it okay for EA to do it.

And again, I'm not saying everything put out by EA will automatically suck. There are some damn good games on Origin, though admittedly many of them are at least somewhat tainted by EA's questionable practices (Sim City, Mass Effect 3, etc). I'm saying that I dislike what EA is doing, and I'm voting with my wallet.

EDIT: The pics and videos of Titanfall do look incredibly awesome though.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
EA is by far the most damaging influence on the video game industry, and I'm actually rather surprised how many people have forgotten/forgiven. They kill good developers. They meddle in development (moreso than most publishers). They're the kings of day-one DLC. You people remember Mass Effect 3, right? Dragon Age 2? SimCity? DUNGEON KEEPER MOBILE? I could go on, and I think I did at one point in another thread. Other companies do bad things too (Activision springs to mine), but nobody does as much as bad as EA.

Yeah. I don't say all games EA puts out are bad (though their franchises tend to start off strong and spiral horribly downward as more and more importance is placed being profitable and wringing every last drop of money out of players - SimCity, C&C 4 and 5, Mass Effect 3, Dungeon Keeper Pay Edition, ...). I will say that Origins was so atrocious, and their business model so absolutely horrifying to me, that I won't buy anything they put out until I see a necessity to. I loved Sims 1 & 2, and boguht 3 - but I didn't buy any expansions for 3, and I stopped playing fairly soon after getting it. I loved the C&C brand, but didn't pick up RA3 and C&C4 until they were under $5 -) and frankly, I regret the purchase of the latter, and I'm glad I didn't get the former for a higher price.
There are plenty of good, high-quality games out there (many of which I own), that I haven't played yet. I don't see a reason to throw my money at a company I disagree with on a basic philosophical level. I'm sure Titanfall will be a good game. I'm also sure my life will be none the worse for not having played it.

Necronic

Staff member
I wonder how many people here spent money on Enders Game? Yet again though I don't reall disagree with the principles, I just personally don't care. Frankly I think gamers do more harm to the industry than the industry itself ever could.

Also with respect to the variety of weapons in the game I think you will see a lot more on release. My only beef right now is that I think the NPCs should be more dangerous.

GasBandit

Staff member
I wonder how many people here spent money on Enders Game? Yet again though I don't reall disagree with the principles, I just personally don't care. Frankly I think gamers do more harm to the industry than the industry itself ever could.
Lionsgate is no EA. You're comparing an ok movie put out by an ok-but-otherwise-unremarkable publisher/distributor, to a publisher with a long, storied, well-documented history of constant and unrepentant malevolence upon an industry.

Anyway, Titanfall. Looking at the footage... now seeing it played, my interest wanes. Not my thing, but I know that other people may/will probably like it.

Necronic

Staff member
You missed the point on Enders game, I was talking about Orson Scott Card. A lot of his stuff has been boycotted due to his political contributions, and money you spend on watching Enders Game goes to his pockets which then goes to some potentially unsavory political organizations.

But yeah, Titanfall won't be for everyone. It's definitely a young man's game so I can see why you might pass :). I probably won't buy it myself for a while since it overlaps with BF4 and Hawken.

GasBandit

Staff member
You missed the point on Enders game, I was talking about Orson Scott Card. A lot of his stuff has been boycotted due to his political contributions, and money you spend on watching Enders Game goes to his pockets which then goes to some potentially unsavory political organizations.
Except EA been a lot more successful at ruining video games than OSC's been at hatin' on the gays. Hell, comparing them directly makes him look practically impotent and harmless.[DOUBLEPOST=1392662840,1392662778][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's definitely a young man's game so I can see why you might pass :).
Translation: mindless twitchspazzing ftw.

Also, CTRL-ALT-DEL actually raised a good point today, IMO -