Tires or new bike?

New tires or new bike

• New tires - cheaper solution and the current bike is still sound

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New bike - she's going to need a new one in the next year anyway

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • When I was her age I didn't even have shoes!

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Grue

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Lily wore one of her bike tires through and it popped. The remaining tire isn't in such great shape. So we should replace them both. A pair of 14" bike tires are going to run us about $30. That doesn't sound so bad except that buying her a whole new bike would only be about $80. Considering that she is already close to 4 feet tall I'd imagine that her 14" bike isn't going to last much longer anyway.
Aussie and I both agree spending $30 on tires sounds ridiculous if she has nearly outgrown the bike, but buying a whole new bike is not so smart either since the current one only needs tires.

So I'm turning to you, Forumites. What would you do?

I say new bike. You can adjust the seat and handlebars as low as possible and she'll grow into the bigger frame. If she's close to growing out of this one, might as well get the bigger one now while you're thinking about it.

I'm with @klew. Try to sell the old one, take the proceeds and put towards new bike. If old bike doesn't sell, then get new tires and force her to hunch for an extra year or two.

--Patrick

I'm generally inclined to agree with Fade from the perspective of utility, but with the caveat that you should probably get any used bike serviced before using it, and different bike shops will charge really different prices for that (my two local-ish ones have different policies; one services kid bikes for free but charges for full-on part replacement, the other charges a small service charge but gives you a discount on things like replacing tires).

I say neither. I say used bike. I'll bet you can find a 20" from a friend or a base bulletin board for next to nothing. Everyone's got kids who grow out of those things.
That's is very true. I hadn't thought about that even though we got Noah's bike for free from a friend who was moving.

GasBandit

Staff member
...but keep the tires?

--Patrick
Put the old tires on the new bike. duh.
Melt down the tires and then p̪̭̤͔̓͒̎oͨ͌̀u͈̳͈̝ͫr̟͕̝̭̣͋̋͛ͦ ̩̳͖̬̰̏̈́ͫ́̃̀ͅťͣh̟̍ͨ̏e̤̬̯͇͓̠͕̓͆m͕̬̫̩̥͐͑͂ ͖̫ͮͫ͊͑̆̑oͮ͛u̘̲̣̤̞͇̳ͨ͂̇̊̾ͣ̆t͚̬̽̓͗ͮ̓ ̤̘̱͔u͕̹̺̰̹̲ͭ̊̾̊ͧͮp̯ͬo͓̲̟̺͇͚n̮͔̗͖͓͎ͬ̍ ̻̹̺͖̺̒͌ͮ͑ͅt̤͎͎͔̘͔̀ͥ̅̓̚h̹͔̼e̹͙͍ͩ̉͑̚ ̰ͩ̍͐̉̋̽̂c͚͇͚͊́̒̽h̜͚̦͍̮̟͋̽̃ͭ̐͒̿ͅḭ̈́͒̾͌l̻͚̙̞͍̤͒͋̅̓ͅd͉͉͙͍̹̖ͤͦ̿̓ͨͦͯ

Ia! Ia!

Keep in mind, though, many bike shops offer one year of free tune-ups and service if you buy a bike from them. Or something similar. It's pretty common practice from locally owned shops. So if you buy new from one of them, you also get tune-ups for no extra cost.

Keep in mind, though, many bike shops offer one year of free tune-ups and service if you buy a bike from them. Or something similar. It's pretty common practice from locally owned shops. So if you buy new from one of them, you also get tune-ups for no extra cost.
This. Very much this.

fade

Staff member
Okay, but it's a kid's bike, and probably fixed gears with a coaster brake. There's not too much to adjust or maintain.

Okay. obviously I voted for myself. But then I read the thread and I want to change my vote to Ninja. Lily will need some Karate classes, too.