Time to buy a Wii U, what do I need?

I can't really direct you because I've moved to completely digital media on the WiiU. It's a lot easier for me to have ONE external hard drive than a bunch of disks.

I hate to say it, but there's always.... the unspeakable place. The land of preorder bonuses and overpriced accessories. But that way lies madness, sorrow, and pain unending.
That wouldn't help. Because so few people trade in their Nintendo games, he'd only save $5 per game.

So... anyone know a good place to buy Wii U games used/cheap? Other than ebay?
Amazon has Hyrule Warriors new for $48, Smash Bros new for $49, and I see Bayonetta 2 is $37 used. Mario Kart 8 is $42 used.

That's likely the best you're going to do outside ebay. Nintendo games just don't resell much, so when they do, the discounts are minimal. I just accept that I'll be paying full price for Nintendo stuff most of the time and buy my other stuff for less when I can.

I think this is also a good time to repost our nintendo IDs for the WiiU. The only person I have is Mind_the_Moose and I honestly can't even remember who that is :p

Nintendo ID: bowielee

I sent you a friend request, @Ravenpoe

My ID is EvilEsc

Miiverse is the name for Nintendo's on-system forums. Most games have their own sub-forum. You can use Miiverse while playing a game to post messages, draw a picture, post a screenshot; Mario Kart 8 even lets you link to Youtube videos after you upload replays from the game itself. It's pretty cool, can help you out if you're having an issue, and as shown above, can lead to hilarity.

Well, there's 99 Gamers but I've only heard a little about it, and one vlogger's good experience with it is not really enough to base a recommendation on.
I love 99 gamers. I've used it to both sell and buy about a dozen games now and have yet to have a bad experience. Most of these were Canada to the States.

Last edited:
I love 99 gamers. I've used it to both sell and buy about a dozen games now and have yet to have a bad experience. Most of these were Canada to the States.
The only problem with 99gamers is I don't have any games I want to trade. I'm a game hoarder.

The only problem with 99gamers is I don't have any games I want to trade. I'm a game hoarder.
When I worked at best buy really the only games I could get at discount were used versions which ended up being some arbitrary cost they assigned to them + 5%. Occasionally when new games came in on the truck, the games we took in as trades rarely came back to our store, their cost was set very low to where I could buy them for about 5 dollars. I always checked with my GM before buying them at that price but managed to get quite a few that I knew I'd never play but could't pass up for the price, knowing I could flip them around.

Also in terms of buying you can buy the coins you need to get a game at a rate of 1 coin to 1 dollar I believe. If you see a cheapish game and don't want to trade to get the coins there is always that route. Prices used to be reasonable, I haven't looked lately, but since the seller places them they can get a little high depending on what it is.

When I worked at best buy really the only games I could get at discount were used versions which ended up being some arbitrary cost they assigned to them + 5%. Occasionally when new games came in on the truck, the games we took in as trades rarely came back to our store, their cost was set very low to where I could buy them for about 5 dollars. I always checked with my GM before buying them at that price but managed to get quite a few that I knew I'd never play but could't pass up for the price, knowing I could flip them around.

Also in terms of buying you can buy the coins you need to get a game at a rate of 1 coin to 1 dollar I believe. If you see a cheapish game and don't want to trade to get the coins there is always that route. Prices used to be reasonable, I haven't looked lately, but since the seller places them they can get a little high depending on what it is.
Yeah, looking at the coin prices, paying $1/coin to buy that way would be ridiculous. Used Bayonetta is 60 coins, which would be the exact same as retail for new, and Wonderful 101 is 80 coins, which is just absurd.

But hey, Wii U Dance Party is only 15 coins... yay?

I honestly just love getting my stuff directly from the e-shop. I'm spoiled by digital distribution and disk based games are now an anathema to me.