Export thread

Time to buy a Wii U, what do I need?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's tax time! And while most of my refund is going to expenses and savings, some of it is going to go towards slumming with the console peasants and getting a WiiU! My question is, are there any current bundles that are great deals? Any accessories I really need (do I need a pro controller?) and what games are must haves?

Already on the list are Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, and Hyrule Warriors.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Mario Kart 8 is probably one of the best games on the system, unless you just don't like the kartracer genre.

I have the pro controller, but only got it to add another player on SSB, but it will probably work well with Bayonetta 2.

Super Mario 3D World is great.

Dei

Dei

I got the new Kirby game yesterday but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Backing up Bowielee: Mario Kart 8, ranked number 3 for Halforums Game of the Year, despite what @Jay thinks.

W

Zappit

Zappit

Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World
Smash Bros.
The Wonderful 101 (It's by Platinum, and has a bit of a learning cliff.)

I'd also recommend Monster Hunter 3, but with the newest version out, the online community would probably be pretty dead.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'd also recommend Monster Hunter 3, but with the newest version out, the online community would probably be pretty dead.
I'd have recommended that, except for what you said (and the new one is way better--no underwater battles, climbing/leaping makes for much more dynamic fights) but also I believe RavenPoe played the 3DS version of MH3U and didn't care for it as being too grindy.

I really need to download the Wonderful 101. I have a code from Club Nintendo; I just haven't made room for it. I suppose now I can uninstall Monster Hunter on there and that should do it.

Zappit

Zappit

It would be a good time.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yeah, not a fan of the grind that is Monster Hunter.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'll agree that Wonderful 101 is great. It's like Viewtiful Joe and Overlord had a bastard child and it is glorious.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If you like horror, ZombiU is pretty fantastic. It's also basically your only option on the WiiU.

Eriol

Eriol

The Pro controller is so much more pleasant than using the big controller-pad for anything that can use it. Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, both better with the pro controller IMO.

Though for Kart, have a wii-mote and nunchuck. I just find that the most pleasant for whatever reason, even more so than a "regular" controller.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

A better alternative to the Pro controller is to pick up a Gamecube controller... though those are hot items right now, especially for people who want to play Smash Brothers.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You have to hunt down the adapter, too, which can be a bitch.

I'd recommend just getting the Pro controller overall. Though the gamepad is great for gamepad-centric games and works fine for Mario Kart, all the games listed in the first post are better with the Pro controller. I really couldn't play Smash Bros with the gamepad, and I didn't even try it for Bayonetta.

Also, Bayonetta 2 is sooooooooo good. I know reviewers and GOTY people forgot about it once Shadow of Mordor and Alien Isolation came out because of their depth and mechanics, but honestly Bayonetta 2 is the kind of smooth, wonderful action game we rarely get and should've gotten more dues by year's end considering the high praise it had already received. Plus, you get Bayonetta 1 for free with it on its own disc.

Bowielee

Bowielee

You have to hunt down the adapter, too, which can be a bitch.
Or, you can get THIS. It connects to a Wiimote. I have two of them for SSB and they work great, and it's exactly like a GC controller. If you don't already have a Wiimote, you should get at least one for backwards compatible games that you may want to play, all Wii games are backwards compatible with the WiiU, and if you want to pick up, say Xenosaga, or the AWESOME Metroid Prime trilogy (just released recently on the eShop), you'll want a wiimote and nunchuck. Plus, if you already had a Wii, you can transfer over all the games you bought through the Wii eShop and use this GC controller instead of the "classic controller" which I HATED the design of.[DOUBLEPOST=1424606255,1424605881][/DOUBLEPOST]
The Pro controller is so much more pleasant than using the big controller-pad for anything that can use it. Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, both better with the pro controller IMO.

Though for Kart, have a wii-mote and nunchuck. I just find that the most pleasant for whatever reason, even more so than a "regular" controller.
I actually prefer using the gamepad for most games, I like having the maps and such at a glance instead of having to pause the game and pull one up. For games that don't really utilize the screen on the gamepad at all, though, the pro controller is usually better.

I'd love to see them do a remaster of Okami using the gamepad. Using the celestial brush was SOOOOO much easier on Okamiden for the DS because you just drew it on the lower screen, and if you translated that for the WiiU, it would be fantastic. I mean the Wii port worked well with the wiimote better than the PS version, but using the gamepad would be even better.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'd love to see them do a remaster of Okami using the gamepad. Using the celestial brush was SOOOOO much easier on Okamiden for the DS because you just drew it on the lower screen, and if you translated that for the WiiU, it would be fantastic. I mean the Wii port worked well with the wiimote better than the PS version, but using the gamepad would be even better.
I'd love to see this. I have Okami HD on PS3, but it's hard to play using the joystick and I have no plans on buying a Move. Okami HD on Wii U with stylus controls would be perfect.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

You can't go wrong with Mario Kart or any of the Mario games.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

If you're going to buy a wii-u you need money.

phil

phil

If you're going to buy a wii-u you need money.
He should get a Tv or something.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

He should get a Tv or something.
Don't forget a house to keep it in. And electricity!

Shit, this is getting pricey.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Echoing Mario Kart 8 and 3D World.

Definitely browse the Shop, too, there's a pretty solid number of classic games there now.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, some good SNES stuff on there. A lot of the indie stuff can be found elsewhere though.

... and GBA stuff, but that should friggin be on the 3DS, especially now that the New one has come out.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, some good SNES stuff on there. A lot of the indie stuff can be found elsewhere though.

... and GBA stuff, but that should friggin be on the 3DS, especially now that the New one has come out.
Nope. Nintendo refuses to do this for some reason, outside of some games in the Ambassador program. This is just a strange marketing decision... especially with how few VC titles are actually on the 3DS eShop.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yeah... I'm not rebuying SNES games when I already have nearly all of them on emulator.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah... I'm not rebuying SNES games when I already have nearly all of them on emulator.
So do I and this awesome USB SNES controller too. http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1b4c/?srp=3

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So do I and this awesome USB SNES controller too. http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1b4c/?srp=3
I have that too!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Welp, after finding out I need money and a place to buy it, I decided to take money down to a place that sells Wii-Us, and somehow that sucker managed to trade one to me for just some stacks of green paper.

And now I have a Wii-U! I've spent the last two hours charging gamepads and waiting through updates.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So... anyone know a good place to buy Wii U games used/cheap? Other than ebay?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I hate to say it, but there's always.... the unspeakable place. The land of preorder bonuses and overpriced accessories. But that way lies madness, sorrow, and pain unending.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I hate to say it, but there's always.... the unspeakable place. The land of preorder bonuses and overpriced accessories. But that way lies madness, sorrow, and pain unending.
It's also 50 miles away.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Craigslist?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Craigslist?
Yeah, that way you can get a WiiU game AND possibly raped!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, that way you can get a WiiU game AND possibly raped!
Hey now, it's a gamble, vut isn't the risk worth the $5 under retail price?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Amazon sells new and used, I generally get everything there now.

Edit: I should say Amazon uses outside sellers to do used games, but it still works fine.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm not actually sure if it exists in the US, but play.com is a pretty good source for PC games and stuff.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm not actually sure if it exists in the US, but play.com is a pretty good source for PC games and stuff.
I've already got pc games well covered.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I can't really direct you because I've moved to completely digital media on the WiiU. It's a lot easier for me to have ONE external hard drive than a bunch of disks.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That wouldn't help. Because so few people trade in their Nintendo games, he'd only save $5 per game.

Amazon has Hyrule Warriors new for $48, Smash Bros new for $49, and I see Bayonetta 2 is $37 used. Mario Kart 8 is $42 used.

That's likely the best you're going to do outside ebay. Nintendo games just don't resell much, so when they do, the discounts are minimal. I just accept that I'll be paying full price for Nintendo stuff most of the time and buy my other stuff for less when I can.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

My nintendo network id is Ravenpoe for anyone that wants to add me.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My nintendo network id is Ravenpoe for anyone that wants to add me.
But ya got no games--unless you bought one of the bundles.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

But ya got no games--unless you bought one of the bundles.
Well, I did buy some games, and will be getting more soon, though at the moment no multiplayer games (or at least none that are online multiplayer)

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think this is also a good time to repost our nintendo IDs for the WiiU. The only person I have is Mind_the_Moose and I honestly can't even remember who that is :p

Nintendo ID: bowielee

I sent you a friend request, @Ravenpoe

Dei

Dei

AnnaDei

grub

grub

mattgrub

Bowielee

Bowielee

Damn it Poe, set up your Miiverse :p

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Mind_The_Moose is me, I just haven't been able to use the WiiU lately as my dad's couch-bound until he's recovered from his surgery.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Damn it Poe, set up your Miiverse :p
dafuq is a miiverse?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My ID is EvilEsc

Miiverse is the name for Nintendo's on-system forums. Most games have their own sub-forum. You can use Miiverse while playing a game to post messages, draw a picture, post a screenshot; Mario Kart 8 even lets you link to Youtube videos after you upload replays from the game itself. It's pretty cool, can help you out if you're having an issue, and as shown above, can lead to hilarity.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, there's 99 Gamers but I've only heard a little about it, and one vlogger's good experience with it is not really enough to base a recommendation on.

Far

Far

Well, there's 99 Gamers but I've only heard a little about it, and one vlogger's good experience with it is not really enough to base a recommendation on.
I love 99 gamers. I've used it to both sell and buy about a dozen games now and have yet to have a bad experience. Most of these were Canada to the States.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I love 99 gamers. I've used it to both sell and buy about a dozen games now and have yet to have a bad experience. Most of these were Canada to the States.
The only problem with 99gamers is I don't have any games I want to trade. I'm a game hoarder.

Far

Far

The only problem with 99gamers is I don't have any games I want to trade. I'm a game hoarder.
When I worked at best buy really the only games I could get at discount were used versions which ended up being some arbitrary cost they assigned to them + 5%. Occasionally when new games came in on the truck, the games we took in as trades rarely came back to our store, their cost was set very low to where I could buy them for about 5 dollars. I always checked with my GM before buying them at that price but managed to get quite a few that I knew I'd never play but could't pass up for the price, knowing I could flip them around.

Also in terms of buying you can buy the coins you need to get a game at a rate of 1 coin to 1 dollar I believe. If you see a cheapish game and don't want to trade to get the coins there is always that route. Prices used to be reasonable, I haven't looked lately, but since the seller places them they can get a little high depending on what it is.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

When I worked at best buy really the only games I could get at discount were used versions which ended up being some arbitrary cost they assigned to them + 5%. Occasionally when new games came in on the truck, the games we took in as trades rarely came back to our store, their cost was set very low to where I could buy them for about 5 dollars. I always checked with my GM before buying them at that price but managed to get quite a few that I knew I'd never play but could't pass up for the price, knowing I could flip them around.

Also in terms of buying you can buy the coins you need to get a game at a rate of 1 coin to 1 dollar I believe. If you see a cheapish game and don't want to trade to get the coins there is always that route. Prices used to be reasonable, I haven't looked lately, but since the seller places them they can get a little high depending on what it is.
Yeah, looking at the coin prices, paying $1/coin to buy that way would be ridiculous. Used Bayonetta is 60 coins, which would be the exact same as retail for new, and Wonderful 101 is 80 coins, which is just absurd.

But hey, Wii U Dance Party is only 15 coins... yay?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I honestly just love getting my stuff directly from the e-shop. I'm spoiled by digital distribution and disk based games are now an anathema to me.