[Movies] this is a real movie. it will probably be seen by millions of people. it exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
wikipedia said:
Jack McCall, a fast-talking Hollywood literary agent (Murphy) is cursed with a magical Bodhi tree in his backyard by a New Age guru, Dr. Sinja after lying to him and only has a thousand words to speak, as every word he says makes a leaf fall from the tree, and he will die when the last leaf falls.
I just saw an ad for this movie. I stared at the screen and replayed it on DVR just to make sure I didn't miss like. Some words or something in this bizarre high-concept. Then I checked wikipedia to make sure it wasn't a temporary fever dream. Then yup. I read that premise. Even more bizarre is that this movie has been in the can since 2008, and now will finally be unleashed on the world.

oh, and the title? A Thousand Words

Wait wait wait... starring Eddie Murphy?

Directed by the director behind Norbit and Meet Dave?

I am confused.

I'm guessing his last words will be "I love you."

But it would be funnier if they were something else. Like, "Yes, I need a medium pepperoni with"

Starring Eddie Murphy. Directed by the guy behind the Shaggy Dog remake and Smallville. Written by the guy behind the Bruce/Evan Almighty movies, Jack and Jill, and A Night at the Roxbury.

There is no chance for it to be good.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Someone who graduated to movie script writing from the hallmark channel thought, "If a picture is worth a thousands words, how much are a thousand words worth?" then jumped off from there. It's no more bizarre than a movie based on a board game, but with aliens! Or any number of other movie plots.

It reminds me of Murphy's 80's films. Religion and spirituality is a topic ripe for humor, and in at least one film he was the guy that didn't believe, but ultimately was converted - at least partially - to believing that perhaps there's more to life than what's easily seen on top.

New Age Guru is a joke for the movie, and the impetus for his problems, but it's not any more strange than many other seeds of conflict in other comedies.

ElJuski

Staff member
Not only do I like it, but I think weird shit like this needs to exist and flourish to make more movies, in general, possible.

Call me crazy, but this looks like it will be the first decent comedy Eddie Murphy has done in over a decade. I also like that it features Clark Duke in a pretty front and centre role. I mean, Hot Tub Time Machine wasn't his fault.

I was ready to be horrified. Strangely, I'm not. This might actually be one of Murphy's better movies in recent times.

ElJuski

Staff member
No, he was cursed by a child wishing on a birthday cake, which we all know is 100% more plausible.
I don't think he was talking about plausibility, but rather the dire seriousness of it, which is definitely not in the normal cheeky Jim Carey / Eddie Murphy vein.

K

kaykordeath

Well it'll be mediocre at best but at least it'll be more original than most crap coming out these days.
Was going to say just this. Also getting the Liar Liar vibe but the limited number of words concept is not one I'ev seen before...so kudos for that.

And death hanging over the character's head isn't unheard of either...look at Stranger Than Fiction.

I still have never seen Coming to America. But I will confess I liked Bowfinger. I was only 12 or 13 when I saw it though, so I don't know if it was actually funny or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.