[Announcement] Third Annual Halforums Anniversary Contest!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Okay, it looks like we're going to have a contest - thanks anonymous donor!! Now I have to figure out when and what the object is, etc.

So...When do you want to have it? Historically it's been the weekend of Thanksgiving (US) but that's too soon. So it'll probably be held next weekend on the 3rd or 4th of December. I'm looking at starting at noon (Central Time) so that everyone around the world can play.

Rules are the same as the last few years:

1. An object will be hidden somewhere in the world by a member of the board.
  2. The object, place hidden and member may or may not be related in some ways.
  3. The object will not be placed physically. This is like a Carmen San Diego thing. It's not real.
  4. The object is not necessarily the prize for winning the contest.
  5. Each person participating gets 1 yes/no question per hour. But watch out! Some answers when given literally may not be what you are looking for. (Thanks to Calleja and West of Acapulco for this one!)
  6. Questions will be asked using the Shoutbox. We will have a Vent server conversation going on, but no unfair advantages this year. But who knows what I'll let slip, right?
  7. The winner will be the person who posts in the thread a picture of the item, the member's avatar (with name just in case it's the default one!) and a Google map screen print of the place at or below the scale pictured here:
    google map scale.png
  8. Prize will be Skyrim, Diablo III Pre-Order, or any other game for any platform up to but not to exceed $70 (and that includes shipping!).
  9. As holder of the cards and runner of the contest I have the right to exclude anyone at any time without warning. (Not that that will happen, but as I've seen this on so many contests I figure the lawyers must know something I don't.)
This thread will be for comments, concerns or questions. A new thread will be posted

Oh god I never really understood this contest but I totes want diablo 3.

Someone team up with me. You have all the fun of playing and wining and I'll bear the burden of having to play diablo 3. It's a really scary game, but I'll soldier on.

The game is basically a variation of 20 Questions. There is a predetermined person, place, and thing you must name. You get to ask Dave one question per hour. Once you have all three, you must post a picture of each as an answer in the official contest thread.

Dave

Staff member
What other contest should I have? This is the only one I can think of that can have a lot of people join and still have it last a few hours. It has to be interactive.

M

makare

Hmmm I keep thinking something that would involve pictures would be fun. Like best costume in a theme or best geek diorama (I havent madea diorama since like third grade.. I need a fix) but we couldnt vote. I twould have to be outside voting. Not sure. I just think that would be fun.

What we know:

Place: Ireland, within 5 miles of the ocean shoreline (and excluding northern ireland)

Forumite: Lives in northern hemisphere, male, between 100 and 300 posts, has posted today

Item: Can be carried by a human, does not use electricity, associated with cooking, does not make noise, is not featured in commercials, could fit in a pocket, not normally found in homes(but could be), made of metal (although I thought dave answered ambiguously on this one...)

Dave

Staff member
[sheldon]I'm really not sure how I can explain anything to make it easier.[/sheldon]

There's a thing hid somewhere in the world. By a member here.

A thing. A forumite. Somewhere in the world.

U guess.

Maybe u win? Maybe Steinman does.

There. Explained.

I still don't get this contest :(
It took me two years to figure it out:

It's 20 questions.

Only, instead of choosing one thing, Dave chooses three things. So we get to play three simultaneous games of 20 questions, and Dave picks the three things, and the person who first gets all three answered correctly wins.

In order to make it more interesting, we limit the three things to three categories: a forum member, an item, and a place. We pretend the forum person hid the item in the place- but that's just a story to make the game interesting from a story perspective.

So. Three simultaneous games of 20 questions, and one winner- the person who gets all three things (person, item, place) correct first.

Status
Not open for further replies.