Things you never thought you'd love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott Pilgrim (the comic, long before the movie)

I read the first volume a few years ago and hated it. Well, not entirely. I dug most of it, up until the big fight started near the end. Then it just went off-the-wall bonkers and made no sense within the context from the rest of the book. And for over a year, I railed against this book. I mean, I posted everywhere I could, spewing venomous hate for this overrated piece of shit.

Then someone told me to give the second book a try, because it gets much better.

Fucking hell, and I was hooked from then on.

ElJuski

Staff member
Seriously, who the fuck hates the Talking Heads?

If we're talking about books, I had a love / hate relationship with Catcher in the Rye from years past. When I was a kid, I loved it, then when I was a jaded teenager, I hated it, and now, looking back, there's a certain genius to it all.

I guys I also learned to deal with Passion Pit, now that I'm not stuck in a small-town college full of druggy hippies (and 700 miles away from that douchebag Bananahands)

I pegged you right on the first post there Droll ;)

Always love seeing you pop in and out of here. Each time hoping you stay longer :)

fade

Staff member
Seriously, who the fuck hates the Talking Heads?

If we're talking about books, I had a love / hate relationship with Catcher in the Rye from years past. When I was a kid, I loved it, then when I was a jaded teenager, I hated it, and now, looking back, there's a certain genius to it all.

I guys I also learned to deal with Passion Pit, now that I'm not stuck in a small-town college full of druggy hippies (and 700 miles away from that douchebag Bananahands)
Yeah, Catcher in the Rye definitely has some beautiful moments. The thing that bugs me about it is the level of [pseudo]intellectualism that gets affixed to it. People try to paste these meanings over the top of something that already has a good literary message. It's about a whiny teenager being a whiny teenager who like all of us has a few glimmers of inspired thought and sweet nostalgia. Shouldn't that be good enough? Why does it have to be some hidden, dark opus? None of this is directed at you, ElJuski, just general observations on its treatment.

ElJuski

Staff member
Yeah, Catcher in the Rye definitely has some beautiful moments. The thing that bugs me about it is the level of [pseudo]intellectualism that gets affixed to it. People try to paste these meanings over the top of something that already has a good literary message. It's about a whiny teenager being a whiny teenager who like all of us has a few glimmers of inspired thought and sweet nostalgia. Shouldn't that be good enough? Why does it have to be some hidden, dark opus? None of this is directed at you, ElJuski, just general observations on its treatment.
No, and I think you hit it on the head. If you look at Catcher in the Rye as a very straightforward story of a fucked up teenager in a certain period of time, it really works. Salinger was really good at showing that sort of too-smart-and-neurotic-for-their-own-good characters, and Holden Caufield epitomizes them all: he's a teenager kid who had to deal with the tragic death of his little brother. We've all felt that way one way or another; a lot of us just don't want to accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.