[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

GasBandit

Staff member
Yep, it's official, My Sister My Writer is the worst Anime of 2018, closely followed by Conception.

My favorite line - "the main character is so dense that all the art mistakes could be explained away simply as light bending around him."

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
The Stein's Gate Zero OVA just dropped... I couldn't even finish it. Such garbage. Even compared to the disappointment of the Zero season proper. How the mighty have fallen.

GasBandit

Staff member
This week has also seen the premiere of two shows I was wanting to watch - Quintessential Quintuplets, and Rising of the Shield Hero (the engrish in the latter REALLY bugs me. Should just be RISE of the Shield Hero). I've been reading both their mangas for quite a while now.

Both had solidly decent first episodes, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of both series go.

I'm a bit disappointed that the simudub for Shield Hero has been delayed with no ETA, and no explanation as to why. The rumormongering around it makes it sound like people are objecting to the content of the first episode, which would be pretty shit if it is true, but I don't think it is - the Shield Hero is framed for attempted rape, and later buys a slave. Compared to, say, Goblin Slayer (or even moreso, Berserk) it's downright babytown frolics.

QuintQuint made the choice to differentiate the Quintuplets by having different shades of red for their hair color ranging from orange to crimson to pink. It seems to me that this is going to prove problematic, as a major plot point to the series is not being able to tell one sister from another when they dress alike.

This week has also seen the premiere of two shows I was wanting to watch - Quintessential Quintuplets, and Rising of the Shield Hero (the engrish in the latter REALLY bugs me. Should just be RISE of the Shield Hero). I've been reading both their mangas for quite a while now.
In the last volume before it ends, the Hero will die and be isekai'd as a leavened loaf in a bakery-themed RPG.

Bout fuckin time
"at this time we have no home release planned." WHAT!? YOU FUCKING FUCKS I WILL POP YOUR EYE OUT WITH MY RUSTY SPORK AND SKULL FUCK WHATS LEFT OF YOUR HEAD INTO A FINE PASTE!

im not mad, really, I just, nah im fucking furious.....

GasBandit

Staff member
"at this time we have no home release planned." WHAT!? YOU FUCKING FUCKS I WILL POP YOUR EYE OUT WITH MY RUSTY SPORK AND SKULL FUCK WHATS LEFT OF YOUR HEAD INTO A FINE PASTE!

im not mad, really, I just, nah im fucking furious.....

Boy I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that one these days.

I never say this, but uh, if they dont announce one in 6 months I may have to do the unthinkable and ask you to get me access to the rips, cause this is insane to me to spend money to produce an english dub and then be told "nah bro no money in making it something you can own on disc."

I have been collecting for over 15 years, and this is legit the first time I have seen a company dub something and then say NAH NO DISC VERSION.

GasBandit

Staff member
I never say this, but uh, if they dont announce one in 6 months I may have to do the unthinkable and ask you to get me access to the rips, cause this is insane to me to spend money to produce an english dub and then be told "nah bro no money in making it something you can own on disc."

I have been collecting for over 15 years, and this is legit the first time I have seen a company dub something and then say NAH NO DISC VERSION.
When they come out, can do easy.

GasBandit

Staff member
You know, it occurs to me... With Shield Hero and QQ now airing, and Komi-san and Kumo Desu coming up soon... there's a distinct tendency for Manga I'm reading to get made into anime.

So, I guess, whatever cosmic entity is paying attention to my Mangadex, take special note of Dungeon Meshi, Isekai Nonbiri Nouka, Skeleton Soldier, and Jobless Reincarnation. Thanks.

And hell, while I'm wishing upon a damn star, how about Tamen de Gushi, and Way of the House Husband too.

You know, it occurs to me... With Shield Hero and QQ now airing, and Komi-san and Kumo Desu coming up soon... there's a distinct tendency for Manga I'm reading to get made into anime.

So, I guess, whatever cosmic entity is paying attention to my Mangadex, take special note of Dungeon Meshi, Isekai Nonbiri Nouka, Skeleton Soldier, and Jobless Reincarnation. Thanks.

And hell, while I'm wishing upon a damn star, how about Tamen de Gushi, and Way of the House Husband too.
Isn’t Skeleton Soldier manhwa? Unless it’s been published in Japan doesn’t seem likely to get an anime adaptation.

As long it's popular in Japan and a studio got the license we will see an adaptation. Frankenstein Family is a manhua and recieved an anime from a japanese studio last year.

As long it's popular in Japan and a studio got the license we will see an adaptation.
That was a Taiwan/Japan co-production, though. They re-published the manhua in Japan first (as a lead-in to the anime, I'm guessing, since they both got announced about the same time). Don't know how popular it actually was in Japan? Anyway the point I was trying to make is that being republished in Japan (and thus getting sales numbers) is an indication of its viability as an anime product.

there is something I actually have to complain about. So there is a company called Discotek Media, their claim to fame is resurrecting old anime licenses for series and movies that have been out of print for over 10 years. They also have started doing something they call "SD ON BD" which is putting an entire tv series etc on a single blu-ray disc when there is no HD transfer available. This whole idea is really nice as you can get things like Samurai Pizza Cats in one little disc.(this was their first try of the concept, and i actually like it.) so, I got All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku collection in the same format. here's the rub, and i know people groan about this, but the show is borderline unwatchable now that newer tvs have a native 4K physical resolution. you can only blow a 480x640 picture so much before details are lost and at 16x the resolution of CRT tvs I'm actually having trouble watching it on modern screens :(

whats funny is its only slightly bad on a 1080p screen, but with my new UHD screens its a no go.

Watched the first episode of Rising of the Shield Hero, then found out about all the "controversy." I'll probably watch it anyways, because (and shush I haven't read the manga) I'm secretly hoping that the Shield Hero let's everyone die while laughing maniacally. It probably won't happen, but I hate basically everyone in this world.

GasBandit

Staff member
Watched the first episode of Rising of the Shield Hero, then found out about all the "controversy." I'll probably watch it anyways, because (and shush I haven't read the manga) I'm secretly hoping that the Shield Hero let's everyone die while laughing maniacally. It probably won't happen, but I hate basically everyone in this world.
If anything, the anime has toned down how much the other heroes are despicable, self-serving pricks.

But again, I am mystified by this series getting all the "controversy" when other anime shows are much more egregious.

GasBandit

Staff member
what controversy exactly ?
The first episode sets the plot in motion by having the shield hero be falsely accused of attempted rape, which causes all the other heroes (and society in general) to shun and despise him. Thus, he is unable to recruit anyone to his party. His "shield hero" class prevents him from equipping any offensive weapon, so he needs someone else to swing the proverbial sword, and thus he ends up having to buy a slave. A furry female slave.

Butts got hurt, apparently.

If anything, the anime has toned down how much the other heroes are despicable, self-serving pricks.

But again, I am mystified by this series getting all the "controversy" when other anime shows are much more egregious.
I am also semi-amused that everyone looks down on the Shield as being a loser choice, because in every MMO ever, tanks are practically worshipped as gods. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
I am also semi-amused that everyone looks down on the Shield as being a loser choice, because in every MMO ever, tanks are practically worshipped as gods. :p
It also galls me because shields are TREMENDOUS offensive weapons. The edge of a shield is probably one of the most effective ways to break faces. The author of this series clearly did absolutely zero historical research on the use of shields.

I mean, that would be a weird-ass "meet cute" in an "unwanted harem anime" so it's kind of baffling that it's considered controversial here.

It also galls me because shields are TREMENDOUS offensive weapons. The edge of a shield is probably one of the most effective ways to break faces. The author of this series clearly did absolutely zero historical research on the use of shields.
I was complaining about this quite vociferously to my husband about this very thing as well.

Especially because we both enjoy playing tanky classes in video and tabletop games.

To be fair, the martial history of Japan has pretty much zero use of shields, which is kind of weird, but is still true. The closest thing would be the pavise used by matchlock gunners. So there isn't the same amount of cultural familiarity with them as their might be. Contrast Europe where you had the mightly hoplon of the Spartan phalanx, the scutum of the Roman legionnaires, the Viking shield and shield-wall, the Norman kite shield, the knightly "heater" shield, even the later Spanish sword-and-buckler formations and Highlanders with backsword and targe.

The first episode sets the plot in motion by having the shield hero be falsely accused of attempted rape, which causes all the other heroes (and society in general) to shun and despise him. Thus, he is unable to recruit anyone to his party. His "shield hero" class prevents him from equipping any offensive weapon, so he needs someone else to swing the proverbial sword, and thus he ends up having to buy a slave. A furry female slave.

Butts got hurt, apparently.
I saw the first episode last weekend and I don't see that much as a controversy.

Funny that you wrote that.

I looked up some informations about the show and got a little spoiled

GasBandit

Staff member
saw the first episode last weekend and I don't see that much as a controversy.
I would agree with you, except apparently there is one.

Now, granted, I haven't actually ever seen or heard anyone raising a fuss about it... only articles SAYING someone is raising a fuss about it, or hypothesizing this is why the simudub got delayed. Makes me wonder if the controversy is manufactured.

I can see why people get upset about the false accusation thing. That said, the punishment for rape and the way they believe women immediately in that fantasy world is a lot different than it is here. :p

Also, I find Rising of the Shield Hero FAR less egregious than the second story arc of SAO, which filled me with flat out rage at what they did with Asuna's character and made me swear off the show forever.